Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Beliefs

Baha'i Beliefs Baha'i Beliefs - Unity of God, the Unity of Religion, and the Unity of Humanity


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #121
Scion
 
Alarich Valstella's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Sweden
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo El Gringo View Post
But English is always changing as all languages do. It could, over a century or so, eliminate all sexist words and all silent letters, couldn't it?
1) What sexist words?

2) Don't Baha'i pride themselves in the good things with Homo?
One good thing with Homo is its ability to make things happen, not sit around and wait for evolution.
So why wait?
Why not go modify the English language according the Baha'i model?


I myself am engineering a fully functional language, and while I speak only Swedish and English fluently (barely, I have some focus and speaking issues due to mental ailments), I possess a taste for languages in terms of essence and composition.


To create a new language from scratch is an insane amount of work and not recommended, it would not be logical because it would need people learn yet another language.

No matter how much you try, it will be impossible for everyone to speak the same language anyway.

If you go for an audible language, deaf will not understand you.
If you go for sign language, blind and amputees will have issues.
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 02-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #122
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Dominican Republic
Posts: 12
Are there projects that one could join to help in the world? i am retired from construction and would gladly spend my retirement time helping to build basic housing if there are any projects that need long term volunteers.
I am presently in the Dominican Republic and have social security from the USA to feed myself, but am still physically fit to work. I doubt I could lay blocks all day like I did 30 years ago, but plumbing and electrical or other jobs. I have been idle too long. I am just getting familiar with Baha'i. I visited the Baha'i temple in Panama City Panama about 10 years ago, and am deeply into studying this site and Ron Price's writings. Nor do I know if I will be able to follow this site back to this thread. SO am asking any one if they have volunteer projects long term to write to me at derfish@live.com. Any where in the world, but I would prefer where Spanish, English or Portuguese are spoken.
 
Old 02-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2013
From: forest falls california
Posts: 1,749
Build on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo El Gringo View Post
Are there projects that one could join to help in the world? i am retired from construction and would gladly spend my retirement time helping to build basic housing if there are any projects that need long term volunteers.
I am presently in the Dominican Republic and have social security from the USA to feed myself, but am still physically fit to work. I doubt I could lay blocks all day like I did 30 years ago, but plumbing and electrical or other jobs. I have been idle too long. I am just getting familiar with Baha'i. I visited the Baha'i temple in Panama City Panama about 10 years ago, and am deeply into studying this site and Ron Price's writings. Nor do I know if I will be able to follow this site back to this thread. SO am asking any one if they have volunteer projects long term to write to me at derfish@live.com. Any where in the world, but I would prefer where Spanish, English or Portuguese are spoken.
One of my daughters is getting quite involved with an outfit called "Build On". Its not a Baha'i organization, but Tahireh tells me there are a number of Baha'i youth involved.

I'm actually going to go to a fund-raiser tomorrow that she invited "her Daddy" to, and check it out further. She is wanting to go to Africa to help build a school, or schools.


We don't always have to reinvent the wheel, but we need to check it out to see if its round and in balance. I don't mind working with organizations that I have confidence in, but there is a real need to scrutinize them nowadays.

Build a School - buildOn
 
Old 02-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #124
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo El Gringo View Post
Are there projects that one could join to help in the world? i am retired from construction and would gladly spend my retirement time helping to build basic housing if there are any projects that need long term volunteers.
I am presently in the Dominican Republic and have social security from the USA to feed myself, but am still physically fit to work. I doubt I could lay blocks all day like I did 30 years ago, but plumbing and electrical or other jobs. I have been idle too long. I am just getting familiar with Baha'i. I visited the Baha'i temple in Panama City Panama about 10 years ago, and am deeply into studying this site and Ron Price's writings. Nor do I know if I will be able to follow this site back to this thread. SO am asking any one if they have volunteer projects long term to write to me at derfish@live.com. Any where in the world, but I would prefer where Spanish, English or Portuguese are spoken.
You could apply for Service at the World Center in Haifa. They always need ex tradies.

There is also a small allowance paid to assist with the living costs.

God bless and regards Tony
 
Old 02-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #125
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: n ireland
Posts: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo El Gringo View Post
There still isn't anyone who knows what an atom looks like!
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!!!
 
Old 02-15-2015, 05:25 AM   #126
Jcc
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo El Gringo View Post
Are there projects that one could join to help in the world? i am retired from construction and would gladly spend my retirement time helping to build basic housing if there are any projects that need long term volunteers.
I am presently in the Dominican Republic and have social security from the USA to feed myself, but am still physically fit to work. I doubt I could lay blocks all day like I did 30 years ago, but plumbing and electrical or other jobs. I have been idle too long. I am just getting familiar with Baha'i. I visited the Baha'i temple in Panama City Panama about 10 years ago, and am deeply into studying this site and Ron Price's writings. Nor do I know if I will be able to follow this site back to this thread. SO am asking any one if they have volunteer projects long term to write to me at derfish@live.com. Any where in the world, but I would prefer where Spanish, English or Portuguese are spoken.
There are Baha'i schools and development projects in various parts of the world, which may need volunteer help. I served at one in the Brazillian Amazon back in the 1980s (when I was in my 20s). I lived there for 4 years and am fluent in Portuguese and Spanish. That is one of the projects listed here:
https://www.monafoundation.org/
There is also a few projects in Haiti, and Panama (in Chiriqui, serving Indigenous population). Some might need temporary construction help if they are building additions, etc.

I think it is quite a blessing to be in the position you are in, I plan on retiring overseas myself, or maybe just ditching the job and moving sooner.
Any way, it is very noble that you would like to serve others.
 
Old 02-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #127
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Dominican Republic
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romane View Post
Good morning SmilingSkeptic

A little after leaving after the post above, I realised that something I said could so easily be taken the wrong way.



I'm deadly serious. No joking, nothing else. Just serious. You would wish for physical proof. If it were to be God's Will that He would provide physical proof, this could be just one of a multitude of options and possibilites. But the only eyes that would see it would be your own.

No one can no one tell the future, no one can foretell the Will of God

With warm greetings

Romane
With a sword in his mouth to wipe out 1/3 of humanity?
 
Old 02-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #128
Jcc
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo El Gringo View Post
With a sword in his mouth to wipe out 1/3 of humanity?
I would not try to take the Book of Revelation literally. Baha'u'llah discusses prophecies such as this in the Kitab-Iqan (Book of Certitude).
 
Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #129
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: USA
Posts: 1
I think the universal language is one of or all of the various programming languages used for software/computers - I'm able to collaborate with people from all parts of the world using them (from languages as different as Japanese and English etc.).

Or, extrapolating on what was on the reddit.com homepage today (scientists determining a possibility to encode data for up to 2 million years on DNA strands) maybe it's DNA (and we already can communicate universally with it via reproduction, after all, sans disabilities, all humans are compatible with each other for passing on this data or 'language').

Perhaps the two points will eventually meet and intertwine (electronic based DNA/programming languages and biological).
 
Old 02-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #130
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,842
Welcome Blub. Interesting thought.

The Universal language is so we mear mortals can communicate no matter where we go.

God bless and regards Tony
 
Old 02-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #131
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarich Valstella View Post
1) What sexist words?

2) Don't Baha'i pride themselves in the good things with Homo?
One good thing with Homo is its ability to make things happen, not sit around and wait for evolution.
So why wait?
Why not go modify the English language according the Baha'i model?


I myself am engineering a fully functional language, and while I speak only Swedish and English fluently (barely, I have some focus and speaking issues due to mental ailments), I possess a taste for languages in terms of essence and composition.


To create a new language from scratch is an insane amount of work and not recommended, it would not be logical because it would need people learn yet another language.

No matter how much you try, it will be impossible for everyone to speak the same language anyway.

If you go for an audible language, deaf will not understand you.
If you go for sign language, blind and amputees will have issues.
1) I think he means gendered words. His/her, he/she, etc.

2) Half of that is easy, getting rid of the gendered words by using the "singular they". The other half, removing silent letters from English would be hard. You'd need to re-write the rules of spelling, and turn English into a phonetic language. Or perhaps a fownetik languwaj.

English is a strange language, because everyone conquered the English back in the old days, and influenced the language with their own. Then the English in the less-old days made up for that by conquering everyone and forcing the butchered language upon everyone else. It'd probably be easier to just start with an already phonetic language (like German, I hear that language is phonetic) and remove its gendered words instead of trying to fix English by this point in time.
 
Old 02-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #132
Allahu Akbar
 
Yusuf Mirza Ali's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 233
On the Unity of God, my concept of God is the Spinozist and pantheist one, that Albert Einstein believed in.
 
Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: n ireland
Posts: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfish58 View Post
Welcome Blub. Interesting thought.

The Universal language is so we mear mortals can communicate no matter where we go.

God bless and regards Tony
Dear brother, please be aware that the previous post was done by a robot!
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Beliefs

Tags
bahai, beings, beliefs, god, human, humans, religion



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.