Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Culture & Arts

Baha'i Culture & Arts Baha'i Culture and Arts


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
arthra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: California
Posts: 4,303
Turning away from materialism...

Developer turns to Baha'i values:

"She hopes that religion, and Baha'i in particular, can help China to bridge the gap between fast economic growth and spiritual development that lags behind."

Chinese Billionaire Embraces Religion - MarketWatch
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 03-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
cire perdue's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Louisiana
Posts: 1,758
Wow

Absolutely incredible and at the same time not surprising. What fertile ground! So glad you posted this.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
BlinkeyBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Quilimari,Chile
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthra View Post
Developer turns to Baha'i values:

"She hopes that religion, and Baha'i in particular, can help China to bridge the gap between fast economic growth and spiritual development that lags behind."

Chinese Billionaire Embraces Religion - MarketWatch
Yes wonderful story.

Let us all turn together :-)
 
Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
mytmouse57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: United States
Posts: 601
I think in all our efforts to shed ourselves of materialism, we must also be mindful, the Baha'i Faith does not teach asceticism or glorify miserable poverty and the constant stress and suffering it brings.

There's nothing wrong with striving to work hard, advance in one's vocation and earn a salary that affords one and one's family a comfortable, secure lifestyle.

I think one measure of rightness in this regard is to ask oneself:

Do I own my possessions, or do they own me? Do I use the things I own, or merely keep them for vain display?
 
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthra View Post
Developer turns to Baha'i values:

"She hopes that religion, and Baha'i in particular, can help China to bridge the gap between fast economic growth and spiritual development that lags behind."

Chinese Billionaire Embraces Religion - MarketWatch
Thanks Arthra- Looks like agreat story - Will read it all when Iget back HOME next week - Regards tony
 
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ahanu's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: 北京/美国
Posts: 1,023
She was also featured on 60 Minutes. Check out her personal story here:

http://business.sohu.com/20130305/n367879955.shtml
 
Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
BlinkeyBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Quilimari,Chile
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouse57 View Post
I think in all our efforts to shed ourselves of materialism, we must also be mindful, the Baha'i Faith does not teach asceticism or glorify miserable poverty and the constant stress and suffering it brings.

There's nothing wrong with striving to work hard, advance in one's vocation and earn a salary that affords one and one's family a comfortable, secure lifestyle.

I think one measure of rightness in this regard is to ask oneself:

Do I own my possessions, or do they own me? Do I use the things I own, or merely keep them for vain display?
Dear friend I enjoyed reading again what you wrote here.

You have truly shown the balance.

To my mind, to answer the question regarding countering materialism, is to fall in love with Baha'u'llah and God, to the extent that thought of separation would be like death, not just finality of the body but of your very soul. Such a love consumes you, yes one can enjoy the things of the world, but the love of God is far more the attracting force. When one comes to this stage possessions are meaningless, one only sees and, is attracted to God.

My thoughts
 
Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
mytmouse57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: United States
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkeyBill View Post
Dear friend I enjoyed reading again what you wrote here.

You have truly shown the balance.

To my mind, to answer the question regarding countering materialism, is to fall in love with Baha'u'llah and God, to the extent that thought of separation would be like death, not just finality of the body but of your very soul. Such a love consumes you, yes one can enjoy the things of the world, but the love of God is far more the attracting force. When one comes to this stage possessions are meaningless, one only sees and, is attracted to God.

My thoughts
Spot on.

And my thought is, one sign of a material possession being truly loved and appreciated, in a healthy way, are the signs of wear and tear on it. The scratches and mars that tell of robust use and rigorous application toward its intended end.

I'm less and less interested in keeping things merely for vain display.
 
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
BlinkeyBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Quilimari,Chile
Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouse57 View Post
Spot on.

And my thought is, one sign of a material possession being truly loved and appreciated, in a healthy way, are the signs of wear and tear on it. The scratches and mars that tell of robust use and rigorous application toward its intended end.

I'm less and less interested in keeping things merely for vain display.
What like the worn appearance of my old and battered little prayer book that I have carried to work and many other places over the years:-)
 
Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Member
 
Joined: May 2013
From: India
Posts: 33
relation between countries

It's absolutely right by peace and love we can win big fights and there just need to fill gap between two countries.

We need to patience and constant efforts to fill such a gap
 
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2013
From: forest falls california
Posts: 1,748
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by querysolution View Post
It's absolutely right by peace and love we can win big fights and there just need to fill gap between two countries.

We need to patience and constant efforts to fill such a gap
"Lord give me patience. RIGHT NOW!!!"
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Culture & Arts

Tags
materialism, turning



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.