Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i History

Baha'i History Baha'i History: The Báb, Bahá'u'lláh, `Abdu'l-Bahá


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 949
Mirza Mihdi, The Purest Branch

June 23rd will mark the 145th anniversary of the death of the Purest Branch.

Photograph of Mirza Mihdi:

https://adooki.files.wordpress.com/2...ehdi.jpg?w=490


Mírzá Mihdí was the youngest of three surviving children of Bahá’u’lláh and His wife Ásíyih Khánum, who is generally known by the title Navváb (Highness). Mírzá Mihdí was born in 1848 in the family’s rented house near the Shemiran Gate (Darvázih Shimrán) in northern Tehran. He was named after Mihdí, Bahá’u’lláh’s elder full brother, who was dear to Him and who had recently died. In later years Bahá’u’lláh gave Mírzá Mihdí the title "the Purest Branch."

Mírzá Mihdí was four years old when Bahá’u’lláh was imprisoned with a number of other Bábís in the Siyáh-Chál (Black Pit) dungeon in Tehran in August 1852 and the family’s possessions were plundered and seized. Four months later, Bahá’u’lláh was released and then banished for life from Iran. He chose to go to Baghdad, the capital of the Ottoman province of Iraq. On 12 January 1853 He and His family left Tehran on the first stage of their exile. Mírzá Mihdí, who was unwell at the time and unfit to undertake three months of hard travel across the Iranian Plateau and the Zagros Mountains in severe winter weather, had to be left behind in the care of relatives. He was not reunited with his parents until 1860, after Bahá’u’lláh’s return from the mountains of Sulaymaniyah, where He lived in seclusion for two years. Mírzá Mihdí, then twelve, joined his parents in Baghdad, and the family remained there for another three years, until April 1863.

Mírzá Mihdí accompanied Bahá’u’lláh in His successive exiles to Istanbul, Edirne, and, finally, to the penal colony of Acre in Ottoman Palestine. The band of exiles—numbering close to seventy—arrived in Acre on 31 August 1868. They were confined to the prison barracks under harsh conditions, enduring the rigors of malnutrition, disease, and lack of potable water. They also suffered extreme isolation; the strict terms of their imprisonment limited contact among themselves and with the local population. For the first time since Bahá’u’lláh’s banishment from Iran in 1853, He was totally inaccessible to those who sought His presence. Followers who made the arduous journey from Iran often had to return without having seen Him. Some, standing beyond the moat that encircles the city and looking at the barracks from a great distance, were able to catch "a fleeting glimpse" of His face in the window of His cell. If they managed to enter the prison city, they were able at best to catch sight of Him among the crowds at the public bath, where the prisoners were taken weekly to bathe.

Mírzá Mihdí and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá were brothers. Despite his youth, Mírzá Mihdí was accustomed to hardship and was recognized as "a pillar of strength" among the exiles during the difficult period after their departure from Baghdad. He resembled ‘Abdu’l-Bahá in appearance and character and was noted for his piety, gentleness, dignity, courtesy, and patience. Throughout his brief adult life, Mírzá Mihdí was Bahá’u’lláh’s companion and served as one of His secretaries, recording the sacred texts (tablets) that He revealed. Many such manuscripts in Mírzá Mihdí’s excellent handwriting are extant.

One summer evening in 1870, while pacing on the prison rooftop, as was his custom, Mírzá Mihdí was so deep in prayer and meditation that he failed to note a familiar hazard. He plunged through an open skylight to the floor below, falling on a wooden crate that pierced his chest and caused severe bleeding. An Italian physician was called to the prison, but Mírzá Mihdí died the next day, 23 June. During the hours when he lay dying, he expressed to Bahá’u’lláh a final wish: that his death might be accepted as a sacrifice so that the restrictions of confinement might be eased, allowing the followers of Bahá’u’lláh who sought to visit Him the opportunity to attain His presence.

While ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, grief-stricken, kept watch outside a tent pitched in the prison courtyard, Mírzá Mihdí’s body was washed, shrouded, and prepared for interment by Shaykh Mahmúd ‘Arrábí, a prominent resident of Acre who had become a follower of Bahá’u’lláh. Lacking the means to buy a coffin, Bahá’u’lláh obtained the money by having a rug from His own room sold. Mírzá Mihdí’s coffin, escorted by fortress guards, was carried beyond the city walls and buried in an Arab cemetery adjacent to the shrine of Nabí Sálih, traditionally considered the burial place of a prophet mentioned in the Qur’an.

Around the time of Mírzá Mihdí’s burial, an earthquake shook the region—strong enough to be felt thirty-five kilometers (21.8 miles) away in Nazareth, where it was noted by the Bahá’í historian Nabíl, who was staying there at the time. Bahá’u’lláh refers to the earthquake in a passage addressed to His dead son, stating, "When thou wast laid to rest in the earth, the earth itself trembled in its longing to meet thee."

Four months after Mírzá Mihdí’s death, his dying wish—that the way be cleared for those seeking to visit his father—was realized. The exiles were released from the barracks and allowed to take up residence in the town of Acre, where it was possible for them to receive visitors.

The loss of Mírzá Mihdí was a source of intense anguish for Bahá’u’lláh and His family. One of their companions recalled hearing Bahá’u’lláh lament "Mihdí! O Mihdí!" as His son’s life ebbed away. On the day of Mírzá Mihdí’s death, Bahá’u’lláh wrote: "Glorified art Thou, O Lord, my God! . . . Thou seest me in the hands of Mine enemies, and My son blood-stained before Thy face, O Thou in Whose hands is the kingdom of all names. I have, O my Lord, offered up that which Thou hast given Me, that Thy servants may be quickened and all that dwell on earth be united." Bahá’u’lláh is reported to have comforted a grieving and disconsolate Navváb by repeating the assurance that God had accepted their son as His ransom.

Shoghi Effendi states that Bahá’u’lláh exalted the death of Mírzá Mihdí "to the rank of those great acts of atonement associated with Abraham’s intended sacrifice of His son, with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and the martyrdom of the Imám Husayn."

Bahá’u’lláh referred to Mírzá Mihdí on the day of his death as "he that was created by the light of Bahá" and described his dying "at a time when he lay imprisoned at the hands of his enemies" as a "martyrdom." In the same tablet, Bahá’u’lláh extols Mírzá Mihdí’s station: "Happy art thou in that thou hast been faithful to the Covenant of God and His Testament, until Thou didst sacrifice thyself before the face of thy Lord, the Almighty, the Unconstrained. Thou, in truth, hast been wronged, and to this testifieth the Beauty of Him, the Self-Subsisting. Thou didst, in the first days of thy life, bear that which hath caused all things to groan, and made every pillar to tremble. Happy is the one that remembereth thee, and draweth nigh, through thee, unto God, the Creator of the Morn."

In another tablet, Bahá’u’lláh states: "Blessed art thou, . . . and blessed he that turneth unto thee, and visiteth thy grave, and draweth nigh, through thee, unto God, the Lord of all that was and shall be . . . I testify that thou didst return in meekness unto thine abode. Great is thy blessedness and the blessedness of them that hold fast unto the hem of thy outspread robe . . . Thou art, verily, the trust of God and His treasure in this land. Erelong will God reveal through thee that which He hath desired."

In December 1939—despite obstacles caused by the outbreak of World War II, local instability, riots, and the opposition of adversaries—Shoghi Effendi succeeded in transferring the remains of Mírzá Mihdí and Navváb from two different Muslim cemeteries in Acre to Mount Carmel in Haifa. On 24 December 1939 the coffins lay in state in the Shrine of the Báb. The following day, they were buried in the monument gardens near the Shrine of the Báb, alongside the resting place of Bahíyyih Khánum, Mírzá Mihdí’s sister, who died in Haifa in 1932.

Shoghi Effendi himself was among the bearers who carried the coffins of his great-grandmother and granduncle from the Shrine of the Báb to their final resting places, easing each into place in turn and scattering flowers upon them. After the tombs were sealed, Shoghi Effendi recited prayers that Bahá’u’lláh had revealed to be read at their grave sites.

Of the significance of the reinterments Shoghi Effendi writes:

The conjunction of these three resting-places, under the shadow of the Báb’s own Tomb, embosomed in the heart of Carmel, facing the snow-white city across the bay of ‘Akká [Acre], the Qiblih of the Bahá’í world, set in a garden of exquisite beauty, reinforces, if we would correctly estimate its significance, the spiritual potencies of a spot, designated by Bahá’u’lláh Himself the seat of God’s throne. It marks, too, a further milestone in the road leading eventually to the establishment of that permanent world Administrative Center of the future Bahá’í Commonwealth, destined never to be separated from, and to function in the proximity of, the Spiritual Center of that Faith, in a land already revered and held sacred alike by the adherents of three of the world’s outstanding religious systems.

Further, Shoghi Effendi identifies the precincts of these three resting places as the "focal center" of the administrative institutions at the Bahá’í World Center: "the conjunction of the resting-place of the Greatest Holy Leaf with those of her brother and mother incalculably reinforces the spiritual potencies of that consecrated Spot which . . . is destined to evolve into the focal center of those world-shaking, world-embracing, world-directing administrative institutions, ordained by Bahá’u’lláh and anticipated by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. . . ."

Author: Shahriar Razavi
© 2009 National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá’ís of the United States.

Last edited by Josh; 06-02-2015 at 10:17 AM.
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 06-02-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
so so beautiful. I didn't know any of this story...thank you so much
 
Old 06-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamr View Post
so so beautiful. I didn't know any of this story...thank you so much
Dear Maryamr - When on pilgrimage one gets to visit this sacred spot hear tje storya and say the prayer. I can assure you there is no dry eye in the house when this happens.

One is very blessed to have visited this spot and the shirnes. May this also Be in your future.

God bless and regards Tony
 
Old 06-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfish58 View Post
Dear Maryamr - When on pilgrimage one gets to visit this sacred spot hear tje storya and say the prayer. I can assure you there is no dry eye in the house when this happens.

One is very blessed to have visited this spot and the shirnes. May this also Be in your future.

God bless and regards Tony
this is really one of my BIGGEST wishes to be able to one day visit these shrines-all of them;seems like a dream.
 
Old 06-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamr View Post
this is really one of my BIGGEST wishes to be able to one day visit these shrines-all of them;seems like a dream.
Dear Maryamr - You also live in a place where all Baha'i' long to make Pilgrimage to. In fact part of the lawful requirements of Baha'u'llah. We Long to visit those Holy places of the Bab, Baha'u'llah and the Martyr's. Oh we wish that may be possible!

May all our dreams become a reality!

God bless and regards Tony
 
Old 06-13-2015, 02:33 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2013
From: forest falls california
Posts: 1,773
If ye be sincere, He will grant your prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamr View Post
this is really one of my BIGGEST wishes to be able to one day visit these shrines-all of them;seems like a dream.
My dearest Maryamr,
. If you pray in all earnest to Baha'u'llah to grant you one wish, and that wish is to set aside all other wishes, but the one wish of your heart, to visit the Shrines of both the Bab, and to kneel before the Sacred Threshold of the Blessed Beauty at the Holy of Holies, He will assuredly grant you this most sacred wish while yet upon this earth.

. And when you arrive at the Holy Threshold of your Lord, you will know that He, and He alone, has given you this gift, this invitation from Himself, to come and circle His Shrine, and bow down in adoration before Him.

. For if one such as me, who comes from a cold and remote prarie land, grown up walking in the manure of cattle and hogs on a poor and simple farm, accustomed to the lowest class of work among men, can be raised from these lands and conditions, He most assuredly can withdraw you from the land oppression and tyrany with naught but a passing glance, or a wave from His blessed Hand. Know this, and hold not a trace of doubt in your heart of hearts.

. Abdul Baha said to "Beg thou from Baha'u'llah any thing you desire."
You must set aside every other desire, sacrifice all attachment to this world, and He will fulfill His promise to you at His bidding, and when you find yourself in His Holy Presence, then "you will know", that He Himself has invited you as "His" own guest, an honour with which no other honor on earth can remotely approach.

. My prayers are that you be granted an answer to this, your prayer.

. "Please God, Ye may achieve it!"

. Ya Baha'ul'Abha!
. Ya Baha'ul'Abha!!
. Ya Baha'ul'Abha!!!

.
 
Old 06-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: n ireland
Posts: 1,747
Dear Dale, perhaps walking among the dirt of hogs and cattle, doing the lowest form of work known to man, just maybe this was your greatest time?
 
Old 06-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2013
From: forest falls california
Posts: 1,773
Ha Ha, Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan View Post
Dear Dale, perhaps walking among the dirt of hogs and cattle, doing the lowest form of work known to man, just maybe this was your greatest time?
Ha Ha, Tony. Yeah... maybe it was so.

Got a lot of memories from the farm.

Here's a funny one from the feedlot. The cattle were eating their feed from the wooden bunks, which were built about two feet off of the ground. Make that mud. And this little pig was eating what it could find from near the bunk, walking between the hind legs of this cow when the cow took a crap on him, looking like a pancake right on the middle of the pig's back. All day long that pig walked around with that pancake on his back... ;-)

Funny, the stuff you remember
 
Old 06-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale ramsdell View Post
Ha Ha, Tony. Yeah... maybe it was so.

Got a lot of memories from the farm.

Here's a funny one from the feedlot. The cattle were eating their feed from the wooden bunks, which were built about two feet off of the ground. Make that mud. And this little pig was eating what it could find from near the bunk, walking between the hind legs of this cow when the cow took a crap on him, looking like a pancake right on the middle of the pig's back. All day long that pig walked around with that pancake on his back... ;-)

Funny, the stuff you remember
Ha Ha Ha to the story Dale and it was a Ha Ha Ha to Aidan not Tony

Hope all had a great day, we did a study on Huq'uqu'llah (The right of God). Great subject to deepen on, very rewarding - Regards Tony
 
Old 06-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale ramsdell View Post
My dearest Maryamr,
. If you pray in all earnest to Baha'u'llah to grant you one wish, and that wish is to set aside all other wishes, but the one wish of your heart, to visit the Shrines of both the Bab, and to kneel before the Sacred Threshold of the Blessed Beauty at the Holy of Holies, He will assuredly grant you this most sacred wish while yet upon this earth.

. And when you arrive at the Holy Threshold of your Lord, you will know that He, and He alone, has given you this gift, this invitation from Himself, to come and circle His Shrine, and bow down in adoration before Him.

. For if one such as me, who comes from a cold and remote prarie land, grown up walking in the manure of cattle and hogs on a poor and simple farm, accustomed to the lowest class of work among men, can be raised from these lands and conditions, He most assuredly can withdraw you from the land oppression and tyrany with naught but a passing glance, or a wave from His blessed Hand. Know this, and hold not a trace of doubt in your heart of hearts.

. Abdul Baha said to "Beg thou from Baha'u'llah any thing you desire."
You must set aside every other desire, sacrifice all attachment to this world, and He will fulfill His promise to you at His bidding, and when you find yourself in His Holy Presence, then "you will know", that He Himself has invited you as "His" own guest, an honour with which no other honor on earth can remotely approach.

. My prayers are that you be granted an answer to this, your prayer.

. "Please God, Ye may achieve it!"

. Ya Baha'ul'Abha!
. Ya Baha'ul'Abha!!
. Ya Baha'ul'Abha!!!

.
thanks a million Dale for the very beautiful comment and by the way I consider your way of living in the past "grown up walking in the manure of cattle and hogs on a poor and simple farm, accustomed to the lowest class of work among men" as a reason why I should respect you even more than before. I appreciate hardworking people
 
Old 06-15-2015, 02:59 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: n ireland
Posts: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale ramsdell View Post
Ha Ha, Tony. Yeah... maybe it was so.

Got a lot of memories from the farm.

Here's a funny one from the feedlot. The cattle were eating their feed from the wooden bunks, which were built about two feet off of the ground. Make that mud. And this little pig was eating what it could find from near the bunk, walking between the hind legs of this cow when the cow took a crap on him, looking like a pancake right on the middle of the pig's back. All day long that pig walked around with that pancake on his back... ;-)

Funny, the stuff you remember
You want bacon with your pancakes?
 
Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ahanu's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Hyrule
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Throughout his brief adult life, Mírzá Mihdí was Bahá’u’lláh’s companion and served as one of His secretaries, recording the sacred texts (tablets) that He revealed. Many such manuscripts in Mírzá Mihdí’s excellent handwriting are extant.
Did Mirza Mihdi write anything original?

Quote:
Mírzá Mihdí was four years old when Bahá’u’lláh was imprisoned with a number of other Bábís in the Siyáh-Chál (Black Pit) dungeon in Tehran in August 1852 and the family’s possessions were plundered and seized. Four months later, Bahá’u’lláh was released and then banished for life from Iran. He chose to go to Baghdad, the capital of the Ottoman province of Iraq. On 12 January 1853 He and His family left Tehran on the first stage of their exile. Mírzá Mihdí, who was unwell at the time and unfit to undertake three months of hard travel across the Iranian Plateau and the Zagros Mountains in severe winter weather, had to be left behind in the care of relatives. He was not reunited with his parents until 1860, after Bahá’u’lláh’s return from the mountains of Sulaymaniyah, where He lived in seclusion for two years. Mírzá Mihdí, then twelve, joined his parents in Baghdad, and the family remained there for another three years, until April 1863.
8 years of separation. I didn't know this.
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i History

Tags
branch, mihdi, mirza, purest



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.