Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Prayers

Baha'i Prayers Baha'i Prayers


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #1
Just a member
 
Romane's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
From: Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 681
Extolling God's glory and majesty

It seemed natural to place this under Prayers, as this, the time when we are praying, is the greater likelihood of one extolling to the utmost God's glory and majesty. However, it could just as justifiably be listed under Mysticism.

Why should we extoll to the utmost God's glory and majesty? What value lies in telling God what He already knows

Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, beginning page 4, bottom of the page:

Quote:
Whatever duty Thou hast prescribed unto Thy servants of extolling to the utmost Thy majesty and glory is but a token of Thy grace unto them, that they may be enabled to ascend unto the station conferred upon their own inmost being, the station of the knowledge of their own selves.
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 05-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Olympia, WA, USA
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romane View Post
Why should we extoll to the utmost God's glory and majesty? What value lies in telling God what He already knows.

Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, beginning page 4, bottom of the page:

Quote:
Whatever duty Thou hast prescribed unto Thy servants of extolling to the utmost Thy majesty and glory is but a token of Thy grace unto them, that they may be enabled to ascend unto the station conferred upon their own inmost being, the station of the knowledge of their own selves.
I am sorry, I do not see the connection.

This is going to sound offensive to some people, but I really never understood why God wants us to worship Him, bow down in adoration before Him. It has to be something that is good for US, because God does not need our worship, if God is fully self-sufficient. So why is it good for us?

I am not saying this, but some nonbelievers have told me they think God is rather narcissistic. I can understand why they feel this way.
 
Old 05-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
I am sorry, I do not see the connection.

This is going to sound offensive to some people, but I really never understood why God wants us to worship Him, bow down in adoration before Him. It has to be something that is good for US, because God does not need our worship, if God is fully self-sufficient. So why is it good for us?

I am not saying this, but some nonbelievers have told me they think God is rather narcissistic. I can understand why they feel this way.
I agree in that it would make no sense to adore God for God's sake, since he certainly doesn't need adoration.

But I think I see the connection Romane sees to the provided quote (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong):

"Whatever duty Thou hast prescribed unto Thy servants of extolling to the utmost Thy majesty and glory is but a token of Thy grace unto them, that they may be enabled to ascend unto the station conferred upon their own inmost being, the station of the knowledge of their own selves."

We are told here worship is for the worshiper's benefit. The phrase "extolling to the utmost Thy majesty and glory is but a token of Thy grace unto them", while worded a bit oddly, says as much. It specifies that the benefit is that we "may be enabled to ascend unto the station conferred upon [our] own inmost being, the station of the knowledge of their own selves."

This begs the question: Why would extolling God teach us about ourselves and our own station??

I think it can be understood at least a bit with the nature of creation itself. You can learn a lot about a work of art, whether painting, writing, film, games, by studying the artist. Most art survey or history classes say as much, that learning about the background, personality, and motivations of the artist helps us to understand their works.

So if we can learn more about a painting by learning and thinking about a painter, we can probably learn about anything by studying that thing's creator. And so to learn about ourselves, we study our creator. And by emphasizing and reminding ourselves of our creator's attributes, we can try to understand ourselves as a creation.
 
Old 05-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Olympia, WA, USA
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
So if we can learn more about a painting by learning and thinking about a painter, we can probably learn about anything by studying that thing's creator. And so to learn about ourselves, we study our creator. And by emphasizing and reminding ourselves of our creator's attributes, we can try to understand ourselves as a creation.
Thanks Walrus, I thought it probably had something to do with that... by knowing God' Attributes we know our own potential, since we were made in the image and likeness of God...

“The beginning of all things is the knowledge of God, and the end of all things is strict observance of whatsoever hath been sent down from the empyrean of the Divine Will that pervadeth all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 5

That is one aspect, but I think it is also something about humbling ourselves before God by raising God up in our minds.
 
Old 05-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
becky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romane View Post
It seemed natural to place this under Prayers, as this, the time when we are praying, is the greater likelihood of one extolling to the utmost God's glory and majesty. However, it could just as justifiably be listed under Mysticism.

Why should we extoll to the utmost God's glory and majesty? What value lies in telling God what He already knows

Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, beginning page 4, bottom of the page:
Thank you for posting this, Romane. It is very thought provoking and forces one to scratch below the surface.

And thank you, Walrus. Your post was most helpful.

I have always loved reading Gleanings From the Writings of Baha'u'llah. His writings tie everything together. All the questions that arise in your mind, He answers. What I struggle with the most is accepting that I am worthy of God's grace and mercy. I think that can be a real test of your faith. But if you believe in Him, and all that His Words have come to teach us, you must accept this bounty. To not do so, in essence, is saying that you know better than your Creator. This is how so many faiths and religions have been perverted. Just some thoughts.

Loving regards,
Becky
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Prayers

Tags
extolling, glory, god, majesty



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.