Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Social Practices

Baha'i Social Practices Baha'i Social Practices - Laws, Marriage, Work, Places of Worship


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
Wearing a chastity belt and keyholding.

I don't know where else to ask these question, so I'll ask them here.
I am not aware of any Baha'i writings addressing the wearing of a chastity belt or of holding the keys to one, though there are various writings on chastity and I'm sure less directly related topics. For the sake of convenience, I'll just use the generic masculine pronoun throughout this post, bearing in mind that both male and female chastity belts exist and that members of both sexes wear them.

Firstly, are you aware of any Baha'i Law (whether explicit or implicit) against the wearing of a chastity belt, assuming that the wearer has chosen of his own free will to lock himself into one?
Secondly, assuming the person is married, we can reasonably assume that he would give the key to his spouse. If he is not married, however, he may choose to give it to a professional discrete online or other keyholding service (usually for profit with a key holding fee) or a friend or family member whom he trusts (probably far less likely owing to a possible fear of being judged). Is there any Law or principle in the writings, however subtle they may be, against holding the keys to such a personal device of someone to whom one is not married or even closely related?
And thirdly, would it be appropriate for a Baha'i to offer a professional keyholding service for male and female chastity belts?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Netherlands
Posts: 276
Baha'i laws aren't imposed by people but are between a human soul and God. It's about free will.

So no, there's nothing about chastity belts.
 
Old 11-21-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
I would assume they are not prohibited in any way though, due to their lack of mention?
 
Old 11-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Netherlands
Posts: 276
Nothing is explicit but it would certainly be against the spirit of the Faith. Laws are not imposed upon individuals by other individuals.

The funny thing about the Baha'i Faith is that some things sound really progressive, and others sound old fashioned, but really they aren't, because the difference is who is doing the enforcing. These are laws for adults who choose to follow of their own volition because they believe that Baha'u'llah knows something they don't and following the laws will be beneficial to themselves, and, in some instances, also for society.
 
Old 11-21-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
I don't know where else to ask these question, so I'll ask them here.
I am not aware of any Baha'i writings addressing the wearing of a chastity belt or of holding the keys to one, though there are various writings on chastity and I'm sure less directly related topics. For the sake of convenience, I'll just use the generic masculine pronoun throughout this post, bearing in mind that both male and female chastity belts exist and that members of both sexes wear them.

Firstly, are you aware of any Baha'i Law (whether explicit or implicit) against the wearing of a chastity belt, assuming that the wearer has chosen of his own free will to lock himself into one?
Secondly, assuming the person is married, we can reasonably assume that he would give the key to his spouse. If he is not married, however, he may choose to give it to a professional discrete online or other keyholding service (usually for profit with a key holding fee) or a friend or family member whom he trusts (probably far less likely owing to a possible fear of being judged). Is there any Law or principle in the writings, however subtle they may be, against holding the keys to such a personal device of someone to whom one is not married or even closely related?
And thirdly, would it be appropriate for a Baha'i to offer a professional keyholding service for male and female chastity belts?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Chastity belts!!! Run for your life! You've run into mad people!

gnat
 
Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
BlinkeyBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Quilimari,Chile
Posts: 4,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
I don't know where else to ask these question, so I'll ask them here.
I am not aware of any Baha'i writings addressing the wearing of a chastity belt or of holding the keys to one, though there are various writings on chastity and I'm sure less directly related topics. For the sake of convenience, I'll just use the generic masculine pronoun throughout this post, bearing in mind that both male and female chastity belts exist and that members of both sexes wear them.

Firstly, are you aware of any Baha'i Law (whether explicit or implicit) against the wearing of a chastity belt, assuming that the wearer has chosen of his own free will to lock himself into one?
Secondly, assuming the person is married, we can reasonably assume that he would give the key to his spouse. If he is not married, however, he may choose to give it to a professional discrete online or other keyholding service (usually for profit with a key holding fee) or a friend or family member whom he trusts (probably far less likely owing to a possible fear of being judged). Is there any Law or principle in the writings, however subtle they may be, against holding the keys to such a personal device of someone to whom one is not married or even closely related?
And thirdly, would it be appropriate for a Baha'i to offer a professional keyholding service for male and female chastity belts?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Ah dear friend, are you joking?

I feel Suzanne has answered your question, no chastity belts.
 
Old 11-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
I think Suzanne9 is correct. I was thinking the same.

It might be different as part of a sex game between husband and wife, but as an actual replacement for self-discipline in everyday life, it goes too far.
One friend of mine had told me that therapists have been known to recommend them for sex addicts as a temporary solution and an online search seems to confirm that, but I would imagine those would be extreme cases or that the client recommended it and the therapist passively acknowledged it as an option or something else.
 
Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
BlinkeyBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Quilimari,Chile
Posts: 4,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machjo View Post
I think Suzanne9 is correct. I was thinking the same.

It might be different as part of a sex game between husband and wife, but as an actual replacement for self-discipline in everyday life, it goes too far.
One friend of mine had told me that therapists have been known to recommend them for sex addicts as a temporary solution and an online search seems to confirm that, but I would imagine those would be extreme cases or that the client recommended it and the therapist passively acknowledged it as an option or something else.
Yes what you say regarding therapy for extreme cases, may be a reason to use such a device. Something for doctors and therepists and the law to consider, out side of my field.
 
Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: _
Posts: 502
I will now check the box for "Have Seen Everything"

confused
 
Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by noogan View Post
I will now check the box for "Have Seen Everything"

confused
That makes two of us.

Best,

from

gnat, who's participated in the weirdest discussion he's ever stumbled upon
 
Old 11-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
BlinkeyBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
From: Quilimari,Chile
Posts: 4,201
rolling around laughing, but dear friends, hasn't it given you both something to laugh about.

Quote:
‘Abdu’l-Bahá loved laughter and His laughter was often a source of solace. One writer observed that once He laughed so heartily at the observations and questions directed to Him that ‘Hus turban became disarranged. As He lifted His hands to straighten it, He smiled as though we had a little joke between us.’ When the Master was in America He was visited by May Maxell, with little Mary, and Juliet Thompson. They had a delightful visit together, but eventually Juliet became concerned and asked, ‘Don’t we tire You? Oughtn’t we to leave You now?’ He answered, ‘No, stay. You rest Me. You make Me laugh!’ On one occasion He was delighted thinking about a certain joke. He seemed to have in mind to tell it. His friends pleased that He do so. ‘No, I cannot, for every time I try to tell it I laugh so I cannot speak.’ (Honnold, Annamarie, Vignettes from the Life of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 169)
 
Old 11-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
EternalStudent9's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
From: Little Rock, Ar
Posts: 295
Chastity belts.

Okay.

Bye.

*slowly backs up, then turns and runs*
 
Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: _
Posts: 502
Quote:
“Once a week, Father Russell would come in for “Heavy Mystery” time. And we would save all our weird questions for Father Russell. In fact, we would make up strange questions. The class would take a whole week thinking up trick questions for Father Russell. ‘Hey, hey, hey Father! Hey, uh, if God is all-powerful, can he make a rock so big that he himself can't lift it? Ha, ha, heeeeey! We got him now! Ah, ha, ha!’ Or else you’d take a very simple sin and surround it with the most bizarre circumstances you could imagine...to try to, you know, relieve the guilt in the sin. We would usually end up with the, uh, statement, ‘Would that then be a sin then, Father?’”


So, here is an example. There was one sin which was not receiving communion during Easter time. You had to perform your ‘Easter duty’. As good Catholics we had to receive communion once between Ash Wednesday and Pentecost Sunday and if we didn’t receive it, it was considered a mortal sin. Provided, of course, we had said to ourselves, ‘Hey, I’m not going do it this year!’ And, there were not many mortal sins on that, but many of us boys went to Venial City on Easter duty and so we would ask the priest ‘Hey, Father, hey, uh.’ Remember guys would leave their hand up after they got called on, right? And the priest would say, ‘What are you, the Statue of Liberty, Dunn?’ ‘Oh, sorry Father. Anyways, Father. Suppose that you didn’t make your Easter duty...and it’s Pentecost Sunday...the last day...and you’re on a ship at sea...and the chaplain goes into a coma...but you wanted to receive. And then it’s Monday, too late...but then you cross the International Date Line!’ ‘Yes, I’m sure God will take that into account. Sit down, Woozie.’
The Late George Carlin
 
Old 11-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: n ireland
Posts: 1,747
Pmpfofl
 
Old 11-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
Also useful for protection against rape. Just thought of that one.

Hey, being religious does not mean being prudish.
 
Old 11-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalStudent9 View Post
Chastity belts.

Okay.

Bye.

*slowly backs up, then turns and runs*
Just hope your future wife isn't into domination
 
Old 11-22-2014, 01:31 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Netherlands
Posts: 276
Chastity belts sound like some sort of inhumane paternalistic torture of females from the Middle Ages. So far from the thinking of a Faith which teaches the equality of women and men and the importance of respect for all humankind.
 
Old 11-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
I'm not aware that the writings prohibit kinky play within marriage though. Heck, my wife likes holding the key
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:14 AM   #19
dash
 
Fadl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: Somewhere "in this immensity"
Posts: 1,530
Friends,

No belts are prescribed that I am aware of, but girdles have been implied:

Quote:
"Gird up the loins of your endeavor, O people of Bahá, that haply the tumult of religious dissension and strife that agitateth the peoples of the earth may be stilled, that every trace of it may be completely obliterated" (Bahá'u'lláh, Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, p. 14).
Cheers ;-)
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:19 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Netherlands
Posts: 276
Machjo, do what you want behind closed doors. Who am I to say anything about it?
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:20 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Netherlands
Posts: 276
Good one, Fadl!
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne9 View Post
Chastity belts sound like some sort of inhumane paternalistic torture of females from the Middle Ages. So far from the thinking of a Faith which teaches the equality of women and men and the importance of respect for all humankind.
We're both quite happy in a Domme/sub marriage. We still consider ourselves to be equal. She likes to lock me into a male chastity belt, teases me as much as possible, and unlocks it at her pleasure, sometimes only after a month. I hate it. I love it. She slapped my hand once when I reached for the key. Only she can unlock it. I do not see how it is barbaric or paternalistic or in our case maternalistic. If it is consentual and within marriage, I'm not aware of any Law against it in the writings. Nor is she.
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:27 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
Friends,

No belts are prescribed that I am aware of, but girdles have been implied:



Cheers ;-)
That settles it then
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:28 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
That makes two of us.

Best,

from

gnat, who's participated in the weirdest discussion he's ever stumbled upon
You're welcome
 
Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
Oh yes. I apologize to all the non-sub men out there if I've given your Domme wives any ideas.

Now as for those Domme women with submissive husbands, don't be afraid: he might appreciate the control and frustration.
 
Old 11-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalStudent9 View Post
Chastity belts.

Okay.

Bye.

*slowly backs up, then turns and runs*
Did you get a nightmarish vision in your head of getting locked into one and your wife holding the key to it?
 
Old 11-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne9 View Post
Chastity belts sound like some sort of inhumane paternalistic torture of females from the Middle Ages. So far from the thinking of a Faith which teaches the equality of women and men and the importance of respect for all humankind.
Actually the original chastity belts from the middle ages were scary-looking contraptions but were designed to prevent rape when the men (and thus, protectors of the town) went off to war. There were a lot of spikes and blades involved, actually, pretty much meaning any attempted rapist would geld himself in the process.

The original intent was to deter others from attempting to have sex with the person wearing the belt, but the contraption later evolved into a thing made to deter the person wearing herself.

This is one of those history facts that makes me question why I know so many weird things.
 
Old 11-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Netherlands
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
AThere were a lot of spikes and blades involved, actually, pretty much meaning any attempted rapist would geld himself in the process.
.
I'm not sure how you can wear spikes and blades and not impale yourself as well. Whatever the intent, it sounds scary!
 
Old 11-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #29
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,448
Why do I feel so strongly that this is just a provocation? Could it be that our Faith is all about self-control and this odd subject is all about extreme control imposed by someone else?

And, by the way, I find the subject so hopelessly, unbearably, utterly boring: the kind of thing "the guys" discuss in some dark corner of the bar after two-three beers, something comparable to the never-ending discussion in another corner: "Women are...[fill in the missing word] ....than men", and "Men are...[fill in the missing word] ....than women."

gnat

Last edited by gnat; 11-22-2014 at 01:31 PM.
 
Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne9 View Post
I'm not sure how you can wear spikes and blades and not impale yourself as well. Whatever the intent, it sounds scary!
Yeah, the surviving models are scary looking. Essentially, all the blades pointed "outward" so not to harm the wearer.
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Social Practices

Tags
belt, chastity, keyholding, wearing



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.