Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Social Practices

Baha'i Social Practices Baha'i Social Practices - Laws, Marriage, Work, Places of Worship


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2014
From: United States
Posts: 12
People aren't meant to get married in their 30s

This goes completely against nature. But that is the trend these days - weddings between geriatric, infertile people in their 30s are becoming the norm.

This is I think one of the main reason today's young people find it difficult to follow the Baha'i or other religions' laws of chastity. People are supposed to get married at age 15 or 16, i.e. their sexual prime, not their mid-30s. If they do not marry by their late teens or early 20s, they will feel like they are wasting their sexual prime and they will resort to premarital sex.

The way to prevent young people from having premarital sex is not by telling them to abstain from sex until they are "ready" to get married in their mid-30s, but to instead encourage them to get married as early as possible. Look to the Mormons for an example of marriage done right - by the time I was in my senior year of college, most of my Mormon friends were already married, because it was the only way they could have sex.
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: _
Posts: 505
So you've decided that for everyone, have you?
 
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2013
From: forest falls california
Posts: 1,770
Nature

. People are supposed to get married at age 15 or 16, i.e. their sexual prime, not their mid-30s. If they do not marry by their late teens or early 20s, they will feel like....[/QUOTE]


In nature we see this all the time among the creatures, and if we as humanity were living collectively in harmony with nature, it would be, and should perhaps always be so more commonly.

. But humanity is in economic and social chaos, out of balance with nature because we are out of step with spiritual laws which govern our existence.

. During the Great Depression and WWII, a large percentage of the population deferred marriage until they were prepared financially to meet their obligations responsibly.

. This shows that moral integrity existed in previous generations, particularly prior to the introduction of artificial birth control methods, when sex naturally resulted in pregnancy and offspring.
 
Old 10-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Jcc
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Posts: 420
This is a very complicated issue.

Under the right social and family circumstances, marriage in the late teens may be ideal, but that is rarely the case now. In western society, it is expected that married couples can support themselves financially, which is difficult if you have not competed your education. Early marriage is possible if family support to complete your education is provided, and of course that should apply to both spouses, not the wife give up her education to marry.

Given the awful state of society there are many people who really ought to never marry, because they are irresponsible, become abusive, end up divorcing multiple times, etc. Many people have entirely the wrong attitude towards marriage, with unrealistic expectations and selfish desires. Marrying young just so you are not tempted to violate the chastity laws is a recipe for a disastrous marriage and likely divorce. It is far better if someone who is not really prepared for marriage waits until later in life. Not ideal but better than the alternative.

Last edited by Jcc; 10-06-2015 at 05:28 PM.
 
Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: n ireland
Posts: 1,747
If lawful sex, within a religious sense, is the only reason for marriage, then it's doomed to failure
 
Old 10-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan View Post
If lawful sex, within a religious sense, is the only reason for marriage, then it's doomed to failure
Much Like "looking for Love in all the Wrong Places"

https://youtu.be/FAyDmJvjxbg

Regards Tony
 
Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: .
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by noogan View Post
So you've decided that for everyone, have you?
Hi Noogan.

How old does a spud have to be to qualify as a 'geriatric'?
 
Old 10-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: _
Posts: 505
I am not ready for the bin, yet, Niblo.

And my wonderful wife, who got married to me in our combined late-thirty-early-forties, agrees.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV190 View Post
This goes completely against nature. But that is the trend these days - weddings between geriatric, infertile people in their 30s are becoming the norm.

This is I think one of the main reason today's young people find it difficult to follow the Baha'i or other religions' laws of chastity. People are supposed to get married at age 15 or 16, i.e. their sexual prime, not their mid-30s. If they do not marry by their late teens or early 20s, they will feel like they are wasting their sexual prime and they will resort to premarital sex.

The way to prevent young people from having premarital sex is not by telling them to abstain from sex until they are "ready" to get married in their mid-30s, but to instead encourage them to get married as early as possible. Look to the Mormons for an example of marriage done right - by the time I was in my senior year of college, most of my Mormon friends were already married, because it was the only way they could have sex.
Personally speaking, as a 23 year old male, I disagree with you.

The 17 year old me sitting my school examinations, with acne on my face and long hair, was in no position to take on the responsibilities of parenthood. Quite honestly, I was still a "kid": a smart, studious one but still a kid at that.

6 years later, in my early-to-mid twenties, I still do not feel ready to be a father. I might never be one, it is completely my decision.

There are many negative aspects of the Sexual Revolution which took place in the Western world 50 years ago but the important thing to consider is that we cannot go "back" and use the past as a barometer.

Today, people are living longer and medical advancements are making it easier for older couples to conceive children.

Prior to the 20th century, life expectancy for most people was low and so it made sense to marry early. Nowadays, there is less of an imperative.

I think it is a far more conscientious decision to get a good education in your teens and early twenties, a good career going in your mid-to-late twenties and then settle down (if you so choose) in your early-to-mid thirties. That is the modern "arc" for many people and to be honest it is probably the best idea at the moment. If 17 year old me had decided to flunk my education, marry a childhood sweetheart and have five squealing babies, I'd likely not have had the resources to properly care for them. If, by contrast, I have a great career going in my early thirties, I'd be in a great position to financially support them and have had years to develop into a mature, competent human being.

So, I'm afraid, that on this occasion I am with the secularists.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: _
Posts: 505
Just because a 15 year old is able to make adult decisions on some things, doesn't mean you hand them control of 747. Like Yeshua, I would have made horrible decisions as a young married teenager.

It's not speculation. I was in a horrible teenage marriage.. I was raised in a religion where getting married young was the norm. Most of us born into that faith, whether we said so or not, at least partways thought of marriage as a sex license. The alternative was no sex, which was probably the smart thing to do, thank goodness teenagers always do that smart thing, or premarital sex which meant essentially being cast out by the community.

In a world where people lived to their forties if they were lucky, the onus to get married early and raise children before they died was important. My parents did it, and so did at least one of my grandparents. who had over a dozen children. We may reach a point, sooner in some countries than others, with declining birthrates that not having children becomes a problem, but as a whole we are not there. With increasing life spans we may never be.
 
Old 10-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: n ireland
Posts: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niblo View Post
Hi Noogan.

How old does a spud have to be to qualify as a 'geriatric'?
A spud less than fresh usually ends up in a salad. Salad days
 
Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV190 View Post
This goes completely against nature.
There's you're problem. "Nature" and "good" are not synonyms. Otherwise why are you on the internet?? You think sending packets of data over a wire with an occelating signal to allow multiple systems of logic gates and circuits to communicate is natural?? How wonderfully absurd!!
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Social Practices

Tags
30s, married, meant, people



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.