Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Teachings

Baha'i Teachings Baha'i Teachings and Doctrine - Social Principles, Greater Covenant, Lesser Covenant


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
Question How Should We Behave?

Hello all my dear friends

I have read so many times in mystic teachings of Rumi and Attar that one should not take the company of Ignorant and pagans,(pagan, in a wider view, can be ANY ONE who worships anything but God- anything like money, relations, other people, fears, success, superstitions, etc), because such people can dry the Sacred Water of our souls.

Now, I read the same command in Persian Ahmad's Tablet. In one place Bahaullah says to Ahmad, "So, you, the leaves of the heavenly tree of My kindness, keep yourselves from the poisons of unclean people and the barren winds, that is communicating with the ignorant and pagans, so that the leaves of your existence won't be denied the bounty of the Creator." (sorry if the translation is not good enough-it is my own)

The question, now, is, "living in the society, we are obliged to communicate with all kinds of people. I feel the poison of it specially when I am placed in a gathering where there is backbiting for example, and I have no way to leave. Or when I go to the relatives' gatherings, and I am aware of the fact that they, in their hearts, have no good feelings about our teachings. or even when I sit with people in the work place, and they talk about their egoistic ideas in a very "I am true" manner. now how can we not hear the barren words of the unclean souls? By even simply hearing such words or even feeling the hidden feelings of others' hearts, we feel a kind of sadness and contraction in our hearts. I have limited my relationships to a great degree, but to cut it all is impossible. what is your suggestions and how do you read and understand Bahaullah's words?"
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,600
Oh, you have presented the Million Dollar Question.

gnat
 
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,600
Oh, you have presented the Million Dollar Question.

gnat
 
Old 04-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
hahaha! :v you are always funny Gnat

after posting the question, an answer came to my mind! (it is always like this!)- but I still like to hear others' answers to refine mine (an opportunist I am! ) . so, I'll talk about mine at the end.
 
Old 04-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Canada
Posts: 1,282
Bahaullah taught that we should socialize with all people regardless of their religious beliefs.
However, my understanding is that, He also taught we should avoid the ungodly and these are the ones that are harmful.
Sometimes, at work or other places, there could be this kind of people. So, I would try to detach my heart from them. I may still work with them. Generally if i feel, i am being effected in a negative way, I will avoid those people completely.
If I see they are backbiting, i simply do no participate in the backbiting. I would still keep my friendship.
Bahais here, are not supposed to socialize with covenant breakers, but those are very rare. If we see someone on the internet spreading falsehood against Bahai Faith, we provide the correct information, and also refute their arguments, not because we want to convince them about Bahai Faith, but because we want the correct information be there for the ones that would be interested to learn about Bahai Faith.

Last edited by InvestigateTruth; 04-17-2017 at 04:53 PM.
 
Old 04-17-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamr View Post
hahaha! :v you are always funny Gnat

after posting the question, an answer came to my mind! (it is always like this!)- but I still like to hear others' answers to refine mine (an opportunist I am! ) . so, I'll talk about mine at the end.
And you know what I enjoy so much with your texts?

There is a great divide within the Faith - that between Orientals and Westerners. Even the Master mentioned it. It's so difficult for us to understand each other. The combination of e g Americans and Iranian is very difficult.

You bridge that divide. Everything you write reflects the search of a sincere soul and a very kind person.

Best

from

gnat

busy buzzing around, having tried to make heads and tails of the question you asked, for the most part of his about 40 years as a Bahá'í, never being able to find a conclusive answer, now having given up even trying. "Live and let live" is all he can say.
 
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
Thank you for your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvestigateTruth View Post
Bahaullah taught that we should socialize with all people regardless of their religious beliefs.
However, my understanding is that, He also taught we should avoid the ungodly and these are the ones that are harmful.
yes, true, and the unGodly are the majority of people on earth. even in an Islamic society where all people have a religion, if you ask me, only a veryyyy few number of them are Godly.

Now, you say you will simply not take part in say backbiting. but do you think that can keep you safe from the "vibes" spread through those people? I say it because some days ago, in my work place, two of them were talking about a matter and they were talking with so much pride about that wrong opinion. I did not take part in their conversation, but simply hearing them saying such things and again and again and again being slapped by the truth that only a few people are really enlightened made me sick for the rest of the day.

yet I believe to detach from them in one's heart is the only way possible, since we are also obliged to communicate. If it is a part of Bahai's heavenly work, then it is not void of difficulties.

I should talk about my own suggestion in a separate comment.
 
Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
Thank you dear Gnat for your kind response. In fact I try not to think within the boundaries of Muslim-Asian mind; my previous category. I also try not to think within the boundary of European/Ameriacn- Christian mind. I try my best to see the writings with a heart void of ALL the past teachings. I hope to get successful in it
 
Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
now it comes to my own suggestion.

Imagine that you live in a very vast country where a VERY powerful king rules. He has the storage of all the physical and spiritual goods. he is the owner of all the food and water in the country, also the owner of all the spiritual bounties. Now, imagine that you are the favorite servant of this king and he loves you more than words can say. he always keeps you in front of his eyes and with his limitless wisdom guides you in all direction. he is very very near to you; in your room, right beside you.

Now, what will you do, when in the presence of this king? I, personally, would die of happiness. I would not ask him for anything. I would only stay and look at him and wont let ANYTHING distract me from looking at his lovely face.

This King, is God. We are living in His land, in to the body He has given us. we eat what He has created and we breath the air He has bestowed. He is the source of all the spiritual bounties and each one of us, are His favorite servants.

If we really really meditate on this image, if we try to keep Him in front of our eyes at every moment, if we say hello to Him the first thing after we wake up in the morning, then eat our lunch with Him and say good night to Him, breath and laugh with Him, then can any outer happening effect our spirit?? I guess not.

If when a group of people are backbiting in a room where we have to sit, we can switch our awareness to our dear King, and communicate with Him in our heart so that we won't even hear what the people in the room are saying. We should do it so strongly that nothing can come between us and Him.

that is my opinion anyway. each of us can try doing it the next time we are put in an uncomfortable condition
 
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Canada
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamr View Post
now it comes to my own suggestion.

Imagine that you live in a very vast country where a VERY powerful king rules. He has the storage of all the physical and spiritual goods. he is the owner of all the food and water in the country, also the owner of all the spiritual bounties. Now, imagine that you are the favorite servant of this king and he loves you more than words can say. he always keeps you in front of his eyes and with his limitless wisdom guides you in all direction. he is very very near to you; in your room, right beside you.

Now, what will you do, when in the presence of this king? I, personally, would die of happiness. I would not ask him for anything. I would only stay and look at him and wont let ANYTHING distract me from looking at his lovely face.

This King, is God. We are living in His land, in to the body He has given us. we eat what He has created and we breath the air He has bestowed. He is the source of all the spiritual bounties and each one of us, are His favorite servants.

If we really really meditate on this image, if we try to keep Him in front of our eyes at every moment, if we say hello to Him the first thing after we wake up in the morning, then eat our lunch with Him and say good night to Him, breath and laugh with Him, then can any outer happening effect our spirit?? I guess not.

If when a group of people are backbiting in a room where we have to sit, we can switch our awareness to our dear King, and communicate with Him in our heart so that we won't even hear what the people in the room are saying. We should do it so strongly that nothing can come between us and Him.

that is my opinion anyway. each of us can try doing it the next time we are put in an uncomfortable condition
Yes, thank you. You reminded me this Quote from Bahaullah:

"He should treasure the companionship of those that have renounced the world, and regard avoidance of boastful and worldly people a precious benefit. At the dawn of every day he should commune with God, and with all his soul persevere in the quest of his Beloved. He should consume every wayward thought with the flame of His loving mention, and, with the swiftness of lightning, pass by all else save Him."
 
Old 04-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
Lives in hope
 
AidanK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2015
From: N Ireland
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamr View Post
now it comes to my own suggestion.

Imagine that you live in a very vast country where a VERY powerful king rules. He has the storage of all the physical and spiritual goods. he is the owner of all the food and water in the country, also the owner of all the spiritual bounties. Now, imagine that you are the favorite servant of this king and he loves you more than words can say. he always keeps you in front of his eyes and with his limitless wisdom guides you in all direction. he is very very near to you; in your room, right beside you.

Now, what will you do, when in the presence of this king? I, personally, would die of happiness. I would not ask him for anything. I would only stay and look at him and wont let ANYTHING distract me from looking at his lovely face.

This King, is God. We are living in His land, in to the body He has given us. we eat what He has created and we breath the air He has bestowed. He is the source of all the spiritual bounties and each one of us, are His favorite servants.

If we really really meditate on this image, if we try to keep Him in front of our eyes at every moment, if we say hello to Him the first thing after we wake up in the morning, then eat our lunch with Him and say good night to Him, breath and laugh with Him, then can any outer happening effect our spirit?? I guess not.

If when a group of people are backbiting in a room where we have to sit, we can switch our awareness to our dear King, and communicate with Him in our heart so that we won't even hear what the people in the room are saying. We should do it so strongly that nothing can come between us and Him.

that is my opinion anyway. each of us can try doing it the next time we are put in an uncomfortable condition
Little sister, He has blessed you with great wisdom
 
Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanK View Post
Little sister, He has blessed you with great wisdom
you are very kind to me Aidan thank you ...
 
Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvestigateTruth View Post
Yes, thank you. You reminded me this Quote from Bahaullah:

"He should treasure the companionship of those that have renounced the world, and regard avoidance of boastful and worldly people a precious benefit. At the dawn of every day he should commune with God, and with all his soul persevere in the quest of his Beloved. He should consume every wayward thought with the flame of His loving mention, and, with the swiftness of lightning, pass by all else save Him."
loved this quote. thankx
 
Old 04-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Pollwr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: earth
Posts: 450
This is an interesting discussion. Sometimes in the seeming contradictions in The Faith, there seem to be routes to the deepest truths. This is one that I feel I am no-where near unravelling. My thoughts are these- Who are the "ungodly" and who am I to judge if someone is in that category? Is not the mere a act of judgement in some way vaunting myself over another human being?

At a very basic level, persons engaged is certain behaviours must be avoided for our own safety and sanity, at the time they are thus engaged. In general terms, how can we find the vision within to see the light of God in everyone, whilst eschewing fellowship with the ungodly at the same time. Is being ungodly an temporary or permanent state?
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Teachings

Tags
behave



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.