Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Teachings

Baha'i Teachings Baha'i Teachings and Doctrine - Social Principles, Greater Covenant, Lesser Covenant


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
becky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Posts: 823
Allah-u-Abha

I have been thinking about this for a few months now, so thought I would bring it to the forum. When you pray your 95 repetitions of God the All Glorious, Allah-u-Abha, do you recite it in your native language? I have discussed this with a few friends, and we haven't been able to come to a conclusion. Only 1 friend, a third generation Baha'i, felt that it shouldn't be said in your native language. It came to me once after praying, that maybe I should be using my native language, that maybe it would have a greater effect on my area. And I did my 95 repetitions in English for about a month, but then I wondered if I should. I figure someone must have wondered this before me......

Loving regards,
Becky
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 01-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Birmingham
Posts: 247
-

Hi Becky Alláh’u’Abhá. Great question I have absolutely thought of this before but I was under the assumption that it must be said in Arabic .. But I can't remember where I had heard it I will look into it further and be back on this thread but I'm intrigued to hear what others have to say.
 
Old 01-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky View Post
I have been thinking about this for a few months now, so thought I would bring it to the forum. When you pray your 95 repetitions of God the All Glorious, Allah-u-Abha, do you recite it in your native language? I have discussed this with a few friends, and we haven't been able to come to a conclusion. Only 1 friend, a third generation Baha'i, felt that it shouldn't be said in your native language. It came to me once after praying, that maybe I should be using my native language, that maybe it would have a greater effect on my area. And I did my 95 repetitions in English for about a month, but then I wondered if I should. I figure someone must have wondered this before me......

Loving regards,
Becky
Saying it as Allah'u'abha I would say.

It is also used as the Greeting in the same way.

Regards Tony
 
Old 01-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Member
 
joey473's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Maine
Posts: 58
Allah 'u' Abha is the correct way I would say also!
 
Old 01-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2017
From: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 46
Becky,

Your question becomes a deepening among the believers.

The two Semitic languages of Hebrew and Arabic are considered as holy languages, as having been the source of the Old Testament and the Quran. This promotes the concept that the spoken Word must be sanctified by one of the two.

In Christianity, was not the Word first spoken in Aramaic? Do Christians only use Aramaic in their services? If one memorized the Lord's Prayer from the King James Version of the Holy Bible, does this mean that the English language is ineffectual when in prayer?

Likewise, as the Baha'i Sacred Scriptures are divided between Arabic and Persian, by the Central Figures of the Faith, are both not sacred?

In the Kitab-i-Aqdas, (pg. 22) by Baha'u'llah (translated for English speaking Baha'is) concerning Ablutions, if clean water is not available, it says to repeat five times "In the Name of God the Most Pure, the Most Pure". Does this mean it is not kosher if not spoken as Allah-u-Athar (as given us by the Bab)?

Add unto this, He says to intone our prayers in a melodious fashion. Should everyone, without regard to their inability to sing on key, chant as do the Persian believers?

Each of us must discern for their self. It is a part of spiritual growth, understanding, and deepening in the Faith of God.

Last edited by MohlerFC; 01-30-2018 at 06:38 AM.
 
Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohlerFC View Post
Becky,

Your question becomes a deepening among the believers.

The two Semitic languages of Hebrew and Arabic are considered as holy languages, as having been the source of the Old Testament and the Quran. This promotes the concept that the spoken Word must be sanctified by one of the two.

In Christianity, was not the Word first spoken in Aramaic? Do Christians only use Aramaic in their services? If one memorized the Lord's Prayer from the King James Version of the Holy Bible, does this mean that the English language is ineffectual when in prayer?

Likewise, as the Baha'i Sacred Scriptures are divided between Arabic and Persian, by the Central Figures of the Faith, are both not sacred?

In the Kitab-i-Aqdas, (pg. 22) by Baha'u'llah (translated for English speaking Baha'is) concerning Ablutions, if clean water is not available, it says to repeat five times "In the Name of God the Most Pure, the Most Pure". Does this mean it is not kosher if not spoken as Allah-u-Athar (as given us by the Bab)?

Add unto this, He says to intone our prayers in a melodious fashion. Should everyone, without regard to their inability to sing on key, chant as do the Persian believers?

Each of us must discern for their self. It is a part of spiritual growth, understanding, and deepening in the Faith of God.

With those thoughts this may be of interest;

A Million Ways to Intone Your Prayer

Regards Tony
 
Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2017
From: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 46
Tony,

Sitting in a small private fireside with Mrs. Khadem, the question was raised concerning the Persians asked to chant prayers at a feast.

It was obvious to those present, each had a wonderful voice. It was also revealed, as is the custom, a Persian maiden must be asked three times, with her compliance, should she be in agreement, after the third request.

Then, regarding the chant, it was confirmed by her that it is most often impromptu. Further questions and she agreed, it is much like original jazz compositions, in the moment and from the heart.

It is through intoning, in a melodious fashion, that many discover it is easier to memorize a specific Writing, or prayer. Mine own is used in times of difficulty and during the noon day prayer, much like one would use a mantra.

In my private times of communing with Him, all is done in melodious readings. In this the mood is set (as in mystic circles, recognized as "a place"), that meditation may become a time of receiving a thought, a "thing". [ A mystical axiom = A mood is a place and a thought is a thing ]

Some may experience a thought as an inspiration, or enlightenment. The experience can expand ones own capacity, even unto other worlds of consciousness (see Writings for "worlds of consciousness).

-Zo-
 
Old 01-31-2018, 06:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 944
I don't think there'd be any specific problem with saying it any language. Though I think it sounds easier to chant as "Allah-u-Abha" than it does as 'God the All-Glorious".

Though it gets me thinking... if the language is not all that important, maybe make it into a sort of "World Unity" chant. Maybe state the name in five different languages in 19 repetitions for the total of 95. or 19 languages in five repetitions if you can find that many translations.
 
Old 01-31-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
becky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Posts: 823
Thank you everybody for giving this question your consideration. I had felt compelled to recite God the All Glorious for some reason, out of the blue, just felt very urgent about it. As Walrus said, it is easier and faster to say Allah'u'Abha, but maybe I am supposed to take more time. So perhaps, my resolution will be to alternate languages. Thank you for all your help!
Loving regards,
Becky
 
Old 02-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sen McGlinn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: New Zealand mainly
Posts: 708
Because the original begins with Ya, it is a vocative, so rather than reciting "God, the all-glorious" why not try "All Glorious God!" / "Most Glorious God" / "O God, the all-glorious." Each of these is a translation that is clearly vocative.
 
Old 02-04-2018, 04:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
becky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen McGlinn View Post
Because the original begins with Ya, it is a vocative, so rather than reciting "God, the all-glorious" why not try "All Glorious God!" / "Most Glorious God" / "O God, the all-glorious." Each of these is a translation that is clearly vocative.
O God, the All-Glorious, it is.
Thank you!

Last edited by becky; 02-04-2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Typo
 
Old 02-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: England
Posts: 2
language of prayer

The way a prayer is said is more important than the language, i.e. the mood , focus , humbleness ,etc.
 
Old 02-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2018
From: Arizona-but earth is one homeland ;)
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossein View Post
The way a prayer is said is more important than the language, i.e. the mood , focus , humbleness ,etc.
Indeed as you have said ... Don't forget purity toward your fellows. Ill feelings toward any others may well be the greatest impediment for many.
 
Old 02-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
becky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossein View Post
the way a prayer is said is more important than the language, i.e. The mood , focus , humbleness ,etc.
💜💜💜
 
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 944
Well recently after hearing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroHb1e7At0

I must say that now I only ever want to sing the words until I hit 95 in count.
 
Old 06-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2018
From: USA
Posts: 19
I haven't found a 'rulings' on it, we're asked to say it the one way, personally as long as you recite it as asked or in English is OK. Now, I've read studies about the words used in Buddhist meditation have been shown to induce a rhythmic breathing which induces a calmness. A relaxation technique such as the word, Om. So IMHO and I've tried saying it both ways, as for me I did feel a more rhythmic and tranctory way when reciting as asked.
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Teachings

Tags
allahuabha



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.