Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Open Baha'i Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,557
The Responsibility of being a Bahá'í

Yes, I've known it for many years. If you are determined, things start to happen. I've been dealing with a huge human rights issue in my country - the custody conflicts. It's absolutely terrible, and many illegal things happen. But as a Bahá'í, I don't just wish to complain and report problems. I wish to be able to point to positive things as well. Now, we have an important meeting with a central government agency to discuss this. And something did happen.

I know that one creates a new reality thorugh one's actions. I know that one creates waves. Now I got another example. In a case, where I represent a father in court, I've been very careful not to attack the mother too much. I just say things like "I don't believe in slander as a way to run court cases" in reply to all kinds of accusations. I even give little advice on such matters to my client, and things start to happen. He is more able to explain his view to the authorities now, and improve his relations with them.

And then, yesterday, a miracle happened. We received the recommendations to the court from the city agency in charge of such matters. in that text, there is a line I've never seen before: "Parents must allow their children to love both of them", and the recommendations are very much in line with my intentions and those of my client.

Nobody has ever seen such a statement in such a text before! That is exactly my view and that of the association I work for. I immediately quoted it in a mail to the government agency we are to visit. Now, we don't just have complaints. We have a positive example as well. And there is a lot of potential leverage here, as our meeting is connected with an important Royal Commission that soon will present its report .

That's what I mean. As a Bahá'í, I run a court case in a different manner. That in turn creates positive waves. Then I immediately stress the positive effects and bring them up to the highest levels. I think we are on our way. I've always believed that, as Bahá'ís, it is our responsibility not just to organize Bahá'í activities, but to activiely try to make the world a better place through our professional activities.

I'm a fanatic about that. Always was. That was why I became a Bahá'í - in order to do things.

Best

from

gnat

Last edited by gnat; 01-02-2017 at 08:58 PM.
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,936
Great news Gnat, teaching by action is indeed a world changing service.

Hope you are well and happy.

Regards Tony.
 
Old 01-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,557
And the funny thing is that, throughout my entire life as a Bahá'í, it's been almost impossible to talk about this to other Bahá'ís - to the extent that I've learned to just shut my mouth and smile. We have a new Revelation full of new opportunities, and it's almost impossible to discuss it in depth.
 
Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
And the funny thing is that, throughout my entire life as a Bahá'í, it's been almost impossible to talk about this to other Bahá'ís - to the extent that I've learned to just shut my mouth and smile. We have a new Revelation full of new opportunities, and it's almost impossible to discuss it in depth.
Yes and It is in depth we have to embrace this Faith, it is Living as the New Race of Men we are called to be. Yes this is not easy as there is not one occupation that has not been degraded by old world views and values.

It is a very hard path you have walked with Family Law and Custody Issues. It is great that you have been able to be strong in offering Baha'i Principles. This is practicing "Work is Worship". Keep pushing forward Gnat, great changes are resulting from these actions all around the world.

Wife says Hi 😊😉

Regards Tony
 
Old 01-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfish58 View Post
Yes and It is in depth we have to embrace this Faith, it is Living as the New Race of Men we are called to be. Yes this is not easy as there is not one occupation that has not been degraded by old world views and values.

It is a very hard path you have walked with Family Law and Custody Issues. It is great that you have been able to be strong in offering Baha'i Principles. This is practicing "Work is Worship". Keep pushing forward Gnat, great changes are resulting from these actions all around the world.

Wife says Hi ����

Regards Tony
Oh, when I was young and stupid, I believed that all that was self-evident. Obviously it wasn't - damn, there is a whole world to reshape, and so few years and so little strength left.

Well, apart from Bahá'u'lláh and our Faith, which I at last got some understanding of when translating some ten of our books into Swedish, my teachers are my own lovely daughters, who have taught me all I know about love between parents and children.

And by the way, I definitely don't belong to a new race of men. I still haven't figured out why all those young girls on the bus no longer look back.

Say hello to your wife,

gnat

Last edited by gnat; 01-02-2017 at 10:13 PM.
 
Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #6
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
Oh, when I was young and stupid, I believed that all that was self-evident. Obviously it wasn't - damn, there is a whole world to reshape, and so few years and so little strength left.

Well, apart from Bahá'u'lláh and our Faith, which I at last got some understanding of when translating some ten of our books into Swedish, my teachers are my own lovely daughters, who have taught me all I know about love between parents and children.

And by the way, I definitely don't belong to a new race of men. I still haven't figured out why all those young girls on the bus no longer look back.

Say hello to your wife,

gnat
Ha ha, yes we can only try and pray a new race arises from our ashes!

Regards Tony
 
Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: United States
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
That was why I became a Bahá'í - in order to do things.
Your story is a wonderful one, and is a great example of things that I think a Baha'i lifestyle should accomplish. I'm sure there are many such stories about what Baha'is can do by applying the teachings, but actually hearing about them is rare if you're not a Baha'i. Thank you so much for sharing! It gives me something for me to look forward to, if I ever decide to formally declare. And even if I don't, you're still a good example...
 
Old 01-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,557
Actually, there is a counter-intuitive logic to the worst custody battles. Contrary to what one might assume, all that tax-payers' money spent tends to aggravate the conflicts, as the tax-financed "helpers" have a a rational self-interest in worsening the conflicts.

I could give you some examples....

Best

from

gnat
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

Tags
bahai, responsibility



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.