Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Open Baha'i Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Kashmir
Posts: 4
Time Travel possible?

Please check the following quote and link and commet does time travel possible according to bahai faith?

O servant of Bahá! Be self-sacrificing in the path of God, and wing thy flight unto the heavens of the love of the Abhá Beauty, for any movement animated by love moveth from the periphery to the centre, from space to the 198 Day-Star of the universe. Perchance thou deemest this to be difficult, but I tell thee that such cannot be the case, for when the motivating and guiding power is the divine force of magnetism it is possible, by its aid, to traverse time and space easily and swiftly. Glory be upon the people of Bahá.

Link

Bahá'í Reference Library - Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Pages 197-198
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,140
Time travel may or may not be possible, but what is clear from this Passage is that It is not talking or even mentioning the matter of time travel. It is all spiritual.
 
Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Kashmir
Posts: 4
divine force of magnetism?
 
Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kami2k View Post
divine force of magnetism?
yes, if that is the true meaning of spirit
 
Old 05-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Earth's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Earth
Posts: 126
Greetings Kami2k,

The Central Figures often employed physical analogies for forces that were not always fully understood during their time. Indeed the passage you have cited would actually make little sense, even as an analogy, before the time of Einstein. This is because the notion of spacetime did not exist at the time it was Written.

While we might employ physical terms relating to forces that come about due to celestial objects like black holes, suns and planetary bodies, we really do not truly understand them. Newton, Einstein, and Hawking have contributed greatly towards our existing knowledge in such matters, but we are still in the process of learning about the wider physics of the universe.

If you wish to explore this subject more within the Bahá'í Faith you might find it interesting to examine the discussions between Shoghi Effendi and Enoch Olinga. Olinga was fascinated with the idea of travelling to the stars and with discovering aliens. This is why he would sometimes ask questions about such matters to the Guardian. Those that were party to witnessing these discussions have shared them from time to time. Alí Nakhjavání has conducted some presentations on these discussions and his reflections are truly breathtaking. Just to wet your appetite, Shoghi Effendi explained to Olinga that mankind would not be able to acquire the physical laws and build the technology required to travel to the stars until a profound sense of unity has been established on our planet. Unity is therefore the prerequisite for obtaining the intellectual ability necessary to unlock our understanding of physics to the point where we will be able to design and build spacecraft capable of interstellar travel. Apparently this is a universal constant applicable to all intelligent species that possess a soul, no matter what planet in the universe they originated from or how their own unique Manifestations of God guided them. Reflect on this a little and you will come to appreciate why Bahá'u'lláh is regarded as a Universal Manifestation of God and why humanity, on our planet, has now come of age.

We already know that time is not a constant within the universe, rather it is based in relationship to the proximity of celestial mass. This is why we use the notion of spacetime. The greater the mass the slower time goes. Indeed this difference can even be measured on Earth itself with atomic clocks. For instance time goes faster at the top of mountains compared to sea level, even if it just amounts to a little more than a few nano-seconds a day. So the further one travels from celestial mass the faster time goes. Conversely the closer one gets to a greater mass, including into the core of a celestial body, the slower time goes.

According to the theories of Einstein nothing can physically travel faster than light, but as our closest star system, Alpha Centauri, is over 4 light years away, interstellar travel will need to surpass the speed of light. At this time the only way we can envisage this type of travel is through the warping of spacetime. Indeed this is why Star Trek, the fictional creation of Gene Roddenberry, employed the notion of using a warp drive. It relates to the way a spacecraft could in theory warp spacetime to achieve relative motion beyond the speed of light. In theory this is possible, but it will require enormous energy. For instance travelling the distance from our solar system to Alpha Centaur would require the celestial energy comparable to the gas giant Jupiter. Impossible in conventional terms, even through nuclear energy, but we do know that it could be achieved with anti-matter. Indeed some laboratories are already producing anti-matter and this is why we now know that 4 sugar sized lump of anti-matter contain the equivalent amount of energy as Jupiter when fused with matter.

The universe is believed to be a little over 14 billion years old. When we look up to the sky at night we are already witnessing a natural time machine transpiring before our very eyes. So be assured that time travel is possible because it is already a natural component of the universe.

Earth
 
Old 05-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by kami2k View Post
Please check the following quote and link and commet does time travel possible according to bahai faith?

O servant of Bahá! Be self-sacrificing in the path of God, and wing thy flight unto the heavens of the love of the Abhá Beauty, for any movement animated by love moveth from the periphery to the centre, from space to the 198 Day-Star of the universe. Perchance thou deemest this to be difficult, but I tell thee that such cannot be the case, for when the motivating and guiding power is the divine force of magnetism it is possible, by its aid, to traverse time and space easily and swiftly. Glory be upon the people of Bahá.

Link

Bahá'í Reference Library - Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Pages 197-198
I read this back on 1984 and yes I beleive it is spiritual, but also a material reality. I have posted the quote on many forums with the same though you are asking. :-)

I like what Earth has posted.

I also like to think it will be Magnatisim that will be the perceptual motion power source we will soon have for all our travel.

Regards Tony
 
Old 05-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Jcc
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Posts: 397
As I understand it, the spiritual world is beyond time and space. Which is to say, neither I nor anyone else can truly understand it until we transition to that reality after death. Our experience in this life is linear in time, and we have a rigid notion of how time progresses and never goes back. We can't really imagine what it's like to have a timeless existence, so imagining travel in time may be the best we can do, but it may not be like traveling, but like you are already there and don't need to travel anywhere.
 
Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Kashmir
Posts: 4
Thanks for all the contributers
 
Old 05-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 538
Of course!! I myself am currently travelling into the future right now!!
 
Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: _
Posts: 503
I don't think personally he was speaking "only" spiritually. Abdu'l Baha speeks of things like new power sources and other matters that clearly show he had an understanding of things to come. This is an extremely interesting quote. What is the 198 Day-Star? Is there another reference to this? what is the significance? 198 BE?


Time travel, at least forward, is possible. we all move through time, but at essentially the same rate. There are however already very early designs being worked out for interstellar probes that would approach reletivistic speeds to the point that time dilation would be a real issue in terms of communication. It is theoretically possible that benign wormholes would allow information or objects, (such as people) to pass in any direction. obviously there is no way known to create one, and the power required to do so would seem immense.


Basically came back out of quiet just to ask, if anyone knows, the significance of 198 Day-Star.
 
Old 05-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 117
Hello Noogan.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Sometimes when contributors cut and paste from other documents they also paste the page numbers, like including the "198" from the on line version of Selections from the Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha, pp. 197 - 198.

-LR
 
Old 05-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #12
Jcc
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by noogan View Post


Basically came back out of quiet just to ask, if anyone knows, the significance of 198 Day-Star.
I don't think the number 198 is part of the text. It was the page number from the print version of the book, which was in the e-text version as a point of reference. Normally I try to delete those numbers to avoid confusion.
 
Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #13
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by noogan View Post
I don't think personally he was speaking "only" spiritually. Abdu'l Baha speeks of things like new power sources and other matters that clearly show he had an understanding of things to come. This is an extremely interesting quote. What is the 198 Day-Star? Is there another reference to this? what is the significance? 198 BE?


Time travel, at least forward, is possible. we all move through time, but at essentially the same rate. There are however already very early designs being worked out for interstellar probes that would approach reletivistic speeds to the point that time dilation would be a real issue in terms of communication. It is theoretically possible that benign wormholes would allow information or objects, (such as people) to pass in any direction. obviously there is no way known to create one, and the power required to do so would seem immense.


Basically came back out of quiet just to ask, if anyone knows, the significance of 198 Day-Star.
It is great to see you back

Regards Tony
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

Tags
time, travel



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.