Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Open Baha'i Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Birmingham
Posts: 88
Self esteem

What do you guys think on people who walk in a confident manner ? Is this going against showing meakness? People who have confidence in themselves have different body language then those who don't.. Is confidence indulging in the self? Should we just be lowly and submissive to God, or can be lowly and submissive to God and at the same time be confident high esteemed individuals ?

Last edited by Yousefy2; 10-19-2017 at 11:48 PM.
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
maryamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
From: Blue Planet
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousefy2 View Post
What do you guys think on people who walk in a confident manner ? Is this going against showing meakness? People who have confidence in themselves have different body language then those who don't.. Is confidence indulging in the self? Should we just be lowly and submissive to God, or can be lowly and submissive to God and at the same time be confident high esteemed individuals ?

in my opinion, if we really know God and His manifestation and the great kindness God had in creating us as the crown of creation, with brain and heart, and free will etc, we will be very humble towards God and at the same time self steemed and assured of our own capacities. this is different from pride. this means we will get to know our real abilities, our place in creation, and then we will have confidence that with enough effort, we can be good servants of God.
 
Old 10-20-2017, 03:26 AM   #3
Member
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Birmingham
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamr View Post
in my opinion, if we really know God and His manifestation and the great kindness God had in creating us as the crown of creation, with brain and heart, and free will etc, we will be very humble towards God and at the same time self steemed and assured of our own capacities. this is different from pride. this means we will get to know our real abilities, our place in creation, and then we will have confidence that with enough effort, we can be good servants of God.
Yeah that's a nice input, thanks for that
 
Old 10-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Minor Bloodsucker
 
gnat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2014
From: Stockholm
Posts: 1,585
"O SON OF SPIRIT!
I created thee rich, why dost thou bring thyself down to poverty? Noble I made thee, wherewith dost thou abase thyself? Out of the essence of knowledge I gave thee being, why seekest thou enlightenment from anyone beside Me? Out of the clay of love I molded thee, how dost thou busy thyself with another? Turn thy sight unto thyself, that thou mayest find Me standing within thee, mighty, powerful and self-subsisting."



"THE FIRST VALLEY
If the travelers seek after the goal of the Intended One (maqṣúd), this station appertaineth to the self—but that self which is “The Self of God standing within Him with laws.” On this plane, the self is not rejected but beloved; it is well-pleasing and not to be shunned."
 
Old 10-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #5
Member
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Birmingham
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
"O SON OF SPIRIT!
I created thee rich, why dost thou bring thyself down to poverty? Noble I made thee, wherewith dost thou abase thyself? Out of the essence of knowledge I gave thee being, why seekest thou enlightenment from anyone beside Me? Out of the clay of love I molded thee, how dost thou busy thyself with another? Turn thy sight unto thyself, that thou mayest find Me standing within thee, mighty, powerful and self-subsisting."



"THE FIRST VALLEY
If the travelers seek after the goal of the Intended One (maqṣúd), this station appertaineth to the self—but that self which is “The Self of God standing within Him with laws.” On this plane, the self is not rejected but beloved; it is well-pleasing and not to be shunned."
Hi gnat, does this mean the self which we should shun is the self which follows his own laws but the self which is bound by the laws of God should be loved ?
 
Old 10-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: Bend area, Oregon
Posts: 141
It does seem to me that one should be humble in their mannerisms rather than exhibit arrogance. Yet one should carry oneself with dignity. I will offer for consideration some quotes from the words revealed by Baha’u’llah and attributed to ‘Abdu’l-Baha:

Walk thou high above the world of being through the power of the Most Great Name, that thou mayest become aware of the immemorial mysteries and be acquainted with that wherewith no one is acquainted. Verily, thy Lord is the Helper, the All-Knowing, the All-Informed. Be thou as a throbbing artery, pulsating in the body of the entire creation, that through the heat generated by this motion there may appear that which will quicken the hearts of those who hesitate.(-LAWḤ-I-HIKMAT (Tablet of Wisdom); Tablets of Bahá’u’lláh Revealed After the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, pp. 142 -143)

Through the protection and help of the Blessed Perfection — may my life be a sacrifice to His beloved ones! — you must conduct and deport yourselves in such a manner that you may stand out among other souls distinguished by a brilliancy like unto the sun. If any one of you enters a city he must become the center of attraction because of the sincerity, faithfulness, love, honesty, fidelity, truthfulness and loving-kindness of his disposition and nature toward all the inhabitants of the world, that the people of the city may all cry out: “This person is unquestionably a Bahá’í; for his manners, his behavior, his conduct, his morals, his nature and his disposition are of the attributes of the Bahá’ís.” Until you do attain to this station, you have not fulfilled the Covenant and the Testament of God. For according to the irrefutable texts, He has taken from us a firm covenant that we may live and act in accord with the divine exhortations, commands and lordly teachings.

O ye Cohorts of God! Now is the time when the signs and the perfections of the “Most Great Name” become manifest and clear in this golden cycle in order that it may become demonstrated and established beyond doubt that this period is the period of the Blessed Perfection, and this cycle is distinguished from all other cycles and epochs.
(Bahá’í World Faith, pp: 400-401)

I desire distinction for you. The Bahá’ís must be distinguished from others of humanity. But this distinction must not depend upon wealth—that they should become more affluent than other people. I do not desire for you financial distinction. It is not an ordinary distinction I desire; not scientific, commercial, industrial distinction. For you I desire spiritual distinction—that is, you must become eminent and distinguished in morals. In the love of God you must become distinguished from all else. You must become distinguished for loving humanity, for unity and accord, for love and justice. In brief, you must become distinguished in all the virtues of the human world—for faithfulness and sincerity, for justice and fidelity, for firmness and steadfastness, for philanthropic deeds and service to the human world, for love toward every human being, for unity and accord with all people, for removing prejudices and promoting international peace. Finally, you must become distinguished for heavenly illumination and for acquiring the bestowals of God. I desire this distinction for you. This must be the point of distinction among you.(The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 189)

-LR
 
Old 11-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Birmingham
Posts: 88
Self love

I have seen in the writings of abdul baha that self love is not a healthy trait .. What are your opinions on this guys? I feel as if self love can be a healthy trait can it not? Taking care of oneself, dressing nicely, and feeling good about oneself ?
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

Tags
esteem



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.