Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Open Baha'i Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
djg
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Denver, CO
Posts: 79
Fasting at Altitude

Is it permissible to drink a small amount of water during the time of the fast if a person lives at altitude?
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 03-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 4,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Is it permissible to drink a small amount of water during the time of the fast if a person lives at altitude?
No is the short answer.

The conditions for exemptions are listed and they apply to all areas.

https://bahai9.com/wiki/Fast_-_exemptions

Regards Tony
 
Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
Jcc
Senior Member
 
Jcc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfish58 View Post
No is the short answer.

The conditions for exemptions are listed and they apply to all areas.

https://bahai9.com/wiki/Fast_-_exemptions

Regards Tony
One of the exemptions is for those who are engaged in heavy labor, if required. It may be that working in a dry climate is more likely to require drinking some water than in a more moist climate, but that is a matter of concience as to whether it is really needed. Certainly you could only justify applying that exemption if you are doing work that is required for your job, not because you want to excercise. Likewise, those who are sick are exempt, but how sick do you need to be?

In one of the prayers for Naw Ruz, Baha'u'lah says "Shouldst thou regard one who hath broken the fast as one who hath observed it, such a man would be reckoned among them who from eternity had been keeping the fast" as well as the contrary. Therefore we must pray that our fast will be acceptable to God, and if we fail at any point, keep trying.
 
Old 03-04-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
Tony Bristow-Stagg
 
tonyfish58's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Normanton Far North Queensland
Posts: 4,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcc View Post
One of the exemptions is for those who are engaged in heavy labor, if required. It may be that working in a dry climate is more likely to require drinking some water than in a more moist climate, but that is a matter of concience as to whether it is really needed. Certainly you could only justify applying that exemption if you are doing work that is required for your job, not because you want to excercise. Likewise, those who are sick are exempt, but how sick do you need to be?

In one of the prayers for Naw Ruz, Baha'u'lah says "Shouldst thou regard one who hath broken the fast as one who hath observed it, such a man would be reckoned among them who from eternity had been keeping the fast" as well as the contrary. Therefore we must pray that our fast will be acceptable to God, and if we fail at any point, keep trying.
Personally having lived and worked outdoors most of my life in both a Hot & Cool Dry Climate and a Hot & mild Humid Climate, I can say the Dry Climate is more pleasant for the Fast.

I find the high Humidity makes it hard to be cool and thus loss of fluid with perspiration is more common. It is possible in both these climates, if one is in good health to do the fast.

In the end, one has to know the signs of heat exhaustion and be wise not to allow it to progress to heat stroke. For me, it may not be a drink, but it may be a 10 minute break in a cool room and fan before venturing out again.

Each must still decide these issues for themselves, the guidelines are still to be set.

Power failure, so i am off

Regards Tony
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

Tags
altitude, fasting



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.