Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion Open Baha'i Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Detroit, MI USA
Posts: 32
Can you say part of a prayer?

Let's say you see a long prayer but you want to say part of it. For example let's say you're trying to pray for healing but it's only one part that pertains to healing and the rest don't. Can you only say that part and not the rest? I was looking at the prayers and meditations book and I was searching for prayers for healing in the index and it said the healing part was in one page and the rest was a 23 page prayer. Which comes to my next question, can you read prayers as scripture meaning can you read them to yourself?

Thanks.
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 07-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
netherworld cave dweller
 
Luqman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2018
From: Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by od19g6be View Post
Let's say you see a long prayer but you want to say part of it. For example let's say you're trying to pray for healing but it's only one part that pertains to healing and the rest don't. Can you only say that part and not the rest? I was looking at the prayers and meditations book and I was searching for prayers for healing in the index and it said the healing part was in one page and the rest was a 23 page prayer. Which comes to my next question, can you read prayers as scripture meaning can you read them to yourself?

Thanks.
Hey,

I like your question!

I am not aware of anything that would prevent one from doing this, and, in fact, almost all of the prayers found in the prayer books are themselves extracted from larger prayers and tablets. The only exception I can think of would be with the obligatory prayers. Of course, one can use these prayers (or any part of them) whenever they like, however, if they are being used as obligatory prayers and in fulfilling the requirement of obligatory prayer, then the whole prayer would need to be used. The medium prayer has a shorter variant available too, but that is different than shortening them since Baha'u'llah himself revealed that option.

Some friends have their own prayer books with their favorite passages from prayers or writings that they like to recite. I think its an excellent practice and binds the heart closer to the writings because of the personal connection to the chosen passages.

The majority of prayers have a structure: Opening invocation (usual some divine attributes), internal verses, closing invocation (usually some more divine attributes. It might seem less like a prayer if your excerpt lacked the opening or the closing, however, not all prayers have them. The "remover of difficulties" prayer of the Bab comes to mind as one such example.

Those are the thoughts that came to my mind reflecting on your question, but, in my opinion, you should read and pray in the way that feels best for you and connects you with God.

Cheers

Last edited by Luqman; 07-30-2018 at 12:59 PM.
 
Old 07-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 940
Sure!!

A prayer isn't like a set of magical words (well it kinda is but that's another topic), but rather the power of a prayer comes not from the specific wording used or the organization of the words, but rather the power comes from its meaning to you.
 
Old 07-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Detroit, MI USA
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luqman View Post
Hey,

I like your question!

I am not aware of anything that would prevent one from doing this, and, in fact, almost all of the prayers found in the prayer books are themselves extracted from larger prayers and tablets. The only exception I can think of would be with the obligatory prayers. Of course, one can use these prayers (or any part of them) whenever they like, however, if they are being used as obligatory prayers and in fulfilling the requirement of obligatory prayer, then the whole prayer would need to be used. The medium prayer has a shorter variant available too, but that is different than shortening them since Baha'u'llah himself revealed that option.

Some friends have their own prayer books with their favorite passages from prayers or writings that they like to recite. I think its an excellent practice and binds the heart closer to the writings because of the personal connection to the chosen passages.

The majority of prayers have a structure: Opening invocation (usual some divine attributes), internal verses, closing invocation (usually some more divine attributes. It might seem less like a prayer if your excerpt lacked the opening or the closing, however, not all prayers have them. The "remover of difficulties" prayer of the Bab comes to mind as one such example.

Those are the thoughts that came to my mind reflecting on your question, but, in my opinion, you should read and pray in the way that feels best for you and connects you with God.

Cheers
Thanks for your response.
 
Old 07-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Detroit, MI USA
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Sure!!

A prayer isn't like a set of magical words (well it kinda is but that's another topic), but rather the power of a prayer comes not from the specific wording used or the organization of the words, but rather the power comes from its meaning to you.
Thanks for your response.
 
Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
Member
 
SoerenRekelBludau's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2017
From: Germany
Posts: 58
Yes, you can. There is a letter written on behalf of the Guardian which confirms this practice. We just shouldn't alter the text, e.g. to correspond with our own sex like you would exchange servant for handmaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Guardian
In quoting prayers any part may be used, but should be quoted as it is, however short. (November 19, 1945)
I once read a letter more clear than this one but I am unable to re-find it at the moment. Maybe it was part of a German compilation I have.

Last edited by SoerenRekelBludau; 07-31-2018 at 10:58 PM.
 
Old 08-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2011
From: Detroit, MI USA
Posts: 32
A prayer isn't like a set of magical words (well it kinda is but that's another topic)

Could you explain more about that?
 
Old 08-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Walrus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Wisconsin
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by od19g6be View Post
A prayer isn't like a set of magical words (well it kinda is but that's another topic)

Could you explain more about that?
Well most "magic incantations" in old books are literally prayers, so magical incantations are like prayers in that both are sets of words invoked with the intent of transformation of something (in case of prayer, especially self-transformation).

Most old "spells" (for example, those found in the Key of Solomon) are essentially long, formalized, and highly ritualized prayers.

But it isn't like a set of magical words where the exact sounds and organization of the words matters (if that were the case, we could only pray in Arabic or Farsi), rather the intent and personal meaning behind the words is what holds power.
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Baha'i Forums > General Discussion

Tags
part, prayer



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2018 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.