Bahai Forums

Go Back   Baha'i Forums > Regions > South America

South America Baha'i meetups and gatherings in South America


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
The Evil Visir
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: Chapel Hill
Posts: 148
Do you know any Baha'is in Brasil?

Anyone know any of the Baha'is in Brasil? I met a guy today from Brasil and I really want to go for a visit...
 
Join Baha'i Forums


Welcome to Baha'i Forums, an open Baha'i Faith community! We welcome everyone and the community is free to join so register today and become part of the Baha'i Forums family!


Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
arthra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: California
Posts: 4,303
Visit Bahia, Brazil - Abdul-Baha

I knew some people who migrated to Brazil from Poland and then came to California .. They spoke Portugese and were great Baha'is.

There's also a city of Brazil called "Bahia" that interested Baha'is at one time.. I have no real information on this currently but there might be a Baha'i community in Bahia.. Anyway I think Brazil would be a great country to visit and really so vast and interesting.

Abdul-Baha said this about "Bahia":

Visit ye especially the city of Bahia, on the eastern shore of Brazil. Because in the past years this city was christened with the name, Bahia, there is no doubt that it has been through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 421
 
Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
arthra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: California
Posts: 4,303
Sites you can visit and meet Baha'is in Brazil:

http://www.bahaindex.com/en/componen...=desc&search=*
 
Old 06-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Badi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Brazil
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthra View Post
I knew some people who migrated to Brazil from Poland and then came to California .. They spoke Portugese and were great Baha'is.

There's also a city of Brazil called "Bahia" that interested Baha'is at one time.. I have no real information on this currently but there might be a Baha'i community in Bahia.. Anyway I think Brazil would be a great country to visit and really so vast and interesting.

Abdul-Baha said this about "Bahia":

Visit ye especially the city of Bahia, on the eastern shore of Brazil. Because in the past years this city was christened with the name, Bahia, there is no doubt that it has been through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 421
Hello guys!

Actually Bahia is a State and its capital is Salvador.
Definitely is a beautiful place, worth a visit ... both by nature, as for its friendly people.

I'm from Brazil and I live in the city of Goiânia.

It would be wonderful if someday you could come to know the Brazilian community. :lol
 
Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
arthra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
From: California
Posts: 4,303
Thanks for your post and welcome to Baha'i Forums!

The name "Bahia" had I think some asociations with "Bahiyyih" a common Baha'i name today and associated with the sister of Abdul-Baha who was very important in the transition after the passing of Abdul-Baha and "the outstanding heroine of the Baha'i Dispensation."
 
Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Member
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: USA
Posts: 30
Interestingly enough, I'm going to Brasil on Sunday.

I also knew several Baha'is from Brasil during high school, but I don't know where they are now.

Hopefully, I'll know some Brasilian Baha'is after the trip...
 
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: Brasil
Posts: 4
Eu sou Bahia e moro na Bahia.

Eu sou Bahia e moro na Bahia.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasali View Post
Interestingly enough, I'm going to Brasil on Sunday.

I also knew several Baha'is from Brasil during high school, but I don't know where they are now.

Hopefully, I'll know some Brasilian Baha'is after the trip...
 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Recife, Brasil
Posts: 156
Replying to a thread after almost 4 years (gotta love the internet)...

I'm a Bahá'í who lives in Brazil and I know quite a few Brazilian Bahá'ís. It's a wonderful country to visit and there are many, many wonderful Brazilians to get to know, both inside and outside of the Bahá'í Community.
 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Recife, Brasil
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badi View Post
Actually Bahia is a State and its capital is Salvador.
The city of Salvador was often known as Bahia (or Salvador da Bahia) until the middle of the 20th century (which is why Abdu'l-Bahá refers to it as a city in the Tablets of the Divine Plan).

Of course, we could always go with the full name: "São Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos."

Peace,
Simeon
 
Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Khodrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: North America
Posts: 135
Wow! That is so great to find out there is actually a state in Brazil christened as Bahia. Although I have rarely met any Bahá'ís from Brazil but I do have one time I recounted meeting a Brazilian who eventually became a Bahá'í.

Two summers ago, I visited my aunt who pioneered to Croatia some years before with her husband. She is a member of the LSA of Zagreb, Croatia and she also coordinates the annual Bahá'í summer schools held around the country. We had many Bahá'ís join us for the summer school and there was a lady from Budapest who, a few months back, came back from two years of service in São Paulo and she also brought a non-Bahá'í Brazilian who was interested in the Faith. I had a great experience meeting people from all over Europe and South America during that summer school and especially our Friends from South America including Brazil. Although I am proficient in Spanish, I would enjoy studying the Portuguese language and becoming fluent in both Spanish & Portuguese. Last I heard from the lady from Brazil, she had declared herself to the Faith and is a very active member in her community in São Paulo.
 
Reply

  Baha'i Forums > Regions > South America

Tags
bahais, brasil



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook @bahaiforums RSS


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Bahai Forums. All rights reserved.