A question about Harry Potter

Jul 2011
n ireland
Believe it or not, today for the first time ever I watched a Harry Potter movie. An entertaining piece of cinema with some marvellous fx. Definitely not suitable for young children as it was at times vert dark, gruesome and gory! Question, can stories such as this which promote "magic", distort some vulnerable young people's vision of how they relate to world around them?:confused:

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Believe it or not, today for the first time ever I watched a Harry Potter movie. An entertaining piece of cinema with some marvellous fx. Definitely not suitable for young children as it was at times vert dark, gruesome and gory! Question, can stories such as this which promote "magic", distort some vulnerable young people's vision of how they relate to world around them?:confused:
I think all strong stories like this influence the young ones. Harry is born to his station - he is one of the Select from birth. The others are muggles - born to be stupid and ordinary. That's a very archetypical story that of course can turn someone's mind upside down.

On the other hand, if we start to analyze films, books, fairytales and whatnot, we'll realize that most of them should be kept out of reach of our dear ones.

gnat

Mar 2013
_
My kids loved Harry potter. They're both doing extremely well in college and high school, respectively. Despite enjoying a fun series and imagination in general, they don't believe you can wave a wand and make things happen, as I suspect, is true of millions of readers.

There will always be people arguing that young minds cannot handle imaginary tales, and generally they'll be as wrong as they were when there were bonfires of comic books in the 1950s.

Apr 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada

I'm a huge Potterhead and it promotes creativity, love it !!

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
I guess the kinds of stories which strengthen the power of imagination are very good in general. the way five inner senses work is interesting and how they have effect on one another so having a strong power of imagination leads to strong power of thinking and then strong comprehension and then strong memory.
every child (and many grown ups- like myself) love stories which include magical aspects. the important matter is knowing which stories to select from among many such stories. I personally prefer to read those magic stories which have a deep teaching inside of them as well. and I guess I half agree with Plato in saying that although old Roman stories (those of gods and godesses) are very attractive, yet they should not read them because it gives them a false idea of nature of life and God.
as a child I loved Hans Christian Anderson stories. they are very beautiful and they don't have any false teachings :)

Aug 2015
Europe
Definitely not suitable for young children as it was at times vert dark, gruesome and gory! Question, can stories such as this which promote "magic", distort some vulnerable young people's vision of how they relate to world around them?
I don't think sci-fi (of any kind, for children or adults) actually promotes magic. The magic wands, the flying brooms, the wizardry, the aliens etc. are secondary, they are there just as filler, setting the scene, not as essence.

The essence of sci-fi is dealing with basic moral and philosophical problems of humanity -- like courage, friendship, loyalty, how to deal with betrayal, hardship etc.

The problem with sci-fi films is the same as with any other, based-on-a-true-story film: they are often unrealistically optimistic and don't focus enough on how exactly the protagonist overcame the trouble he/she was in. But maybe that was their point to begin with -- sending the message that "one has to find the strength within to overcome adversity."

Apr 2011
Hyrule
Question, can stories such as this which promote "magic", distort some vulnerable young people's vision of how they relate to world around them?:confused:
Have you heard any young people say they would like to be witches? I haven't.