Abdul Baha kindness question

Sep 2017
Earth
Abdul Baha saysi

Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him
My question is .. if you were to awaken the thief by speaking with him and notifying him of your awareness and even rebuking him is that not kindness? So why does Abdul Baha not class a rebuke as kindness?

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Abdul Baha saysi

Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him
My question is .. if you were to awaken the thief by speaking with him and notifying him of your awareness and even rebuking him is that not kindness? So why does Abdul Baha not class a rebuke as kindness?
I see a rebuke would be Justice, it would not be kind words. They would be stern.

Thus it would not be seen as kindness, they would know they have not deceived.

Regards Tony

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Abdul Baha saysi

I'd like to know the original word... perhaps the word used for "kindness" has a specific meaning to it.

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2018
usa
Should any come to blows with you, seek to be friends with him; should any stab you to the heart, be ye a healing salve unto his sores; should any taunt and mock at you, meet him with love. Should any heap his blame upon you, praise ye him; should he offer you a deadly poison, give him the choicest honey in exchange; and should he threaten your life, grant him a remedy that will heal him evermore. Should he be pain itself, be ye his medicine; should he be thorns, be ye his roses and sweet herbs.

Abdulbaha
Bahá'í Reference Library - Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Pages 33-34

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Should any come to blows with you, seek to be friends with him; should any stab you to the heart, be ye a healing salve unto his sores; should any taunt and mock at you, meet him with love. Should any heap his blame upon you, praise ye him; should he offer you a deadly poison, give him the choicest honey in exchange; and should he threaten your life, grant him a remedy that will heal him evermore. Should he be pain itself, be ye his medicine; should he be thorns, be ye his roses and sweet herbs.

Abdulbaha
Bahá'í Reference Library - Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Pages 33-34
That kind of contradicts this passage doesn't it?

“O ye beloved of the Lord! The Kingdom of God is founded upon equity and justice, and also upon mercy, compassion, and kindness to every living soul. Strive ye then with all your heart to treat compassionately all humankind—except for those who have some selfish, private motive, or some disease of the soul. Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 158

Apr 2018
Ontario
That kind of contradicts this passage doesn't it?

“O ye beloved of the Lord! The Kingdom of God is founded upon equity and justice, and also upon mercy, compassion, and kindness to every living soul. Strive ye then with all your heart to treat compassionately all humankind—except for those who have some selfish, private motive, or some disease of the soul. Kindness cannot be shown the tyrant, the deceiver, or the thief, because, far from awakening them to the error of their ways, it maketh them to continue in their perversity as before. No matter how much kindliness ye may expend upon the liar, he will but lie the more, for he believeth you to be deceived, while ye understand him but too well, and only remain silent out of your extreme compassion.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 158
There is no contradiction in the two statements.

The first is a quote where the subjective point is “any”(person). If you go back to the rest of the paragraph it is talking about a stranger you come across. They would not already be identided as a “tyrant, deceiver, or theif”.

The second quotes subjective point is either a, “tyrant, deceiver or thief”.

What these two sayings together say is coherent if looked in a larger context.

Love

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
With this I have struggled. What do you do with a compulsive liar? Someone who lies about many things, inconsequential or consequential. Who can be very helpful and kind, yet hate and conspiracy theories lurk just below the surface. And who is married to one of your two best friends. I feel locked into just accepting that this is the way he is, and show him the same kindness I show everyone. I will not abandon my friend. She needs the social outlet my husband and I provide them. She is struggling with this character trait herself. My other very long time Baha 'i friend will not socialize with them as a couple. She will only meet with our friend alone.