After all the scandals, why would anyone think the Catholic Church is t h e way?

Aug 2018
Chicago
I realize that we are supposed to embrace the unity in religions but how can anyone believe that the Catholic church was instituted by Jesus after all these horrible scandals?

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
I realize that we are supposed to embrace the unity in religions but how can anyone believe that the Catholic church was instituted by Jesus after all these horrible scandals?
I'm sorry, but I fail to see a connection to Jesus and church members' trespasses. It is rather like blaming Henry Ford for motorists breaking speed limits or running traffic lights.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Eh, the Catholic Church gets a bad reputation. Not that their scandals aren't bad, but I find it a bit unfair how extensively the Catholic Church is demonized where we ignore other organizations with similar scandals.

There is a director, Amy Berg, who made a documentary about child abuse in the Catholic Church, and the film was lauded and celebrated. She went on to make another documentary, this time about child abuse in Hollywood, and all the support and promotion she had on her first film vanished.

And statistically speaking, the problem of child abuse and coverups in the American public school system is actually much, much worse than what happens in the Catholic Church.

So it's not that the scandals the Church has been involved in aren't bad, but I think the world would be a much better place if we held every institution to the same scrutiny that the Catholic Church gets.

Aug 2018
Chicago
I agree with that last sentiment.
Eh, the Catholic Church gets a bad reputation. Not that their scandals aren't bad, but I find it a bit unfair how extensively the Catholic Church is demonized where we ignore other organizations with similar scandals.

There is a director, Amy Berg, who made a documentary about child abuse in the Catholic Church, and the film was lauded and celebrated. She went on to make another documentary, this time about child abuse in Hollywood, and all the support and promotion she had on her first film vanished.

And statistically speaking, the problem of child abuse and coverups in the American public school system is actually much, much worse than what happens in the Catholic Church.

So it's not that the scandals the Church has been involved in aren't bad, but I think the world would be a much better place if we held every institution to the same scrutiny that the Catholic Church gets.

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
I get that but this was covered up by so many higher ups.
Are higher ups not church members? Are cover-ups different from transgressions?

I think if we are going to determine the worth of systems by inserting a standard of incorruptible practitioners, we would have to dispense with every system ever known to man.

Cheers

Last edited: