Allah-u-Abha

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Because the original begins with Ya, it is a vocative, so rather than reciting "God, the all-glorious" why not try "All Glorious God!" / "Most Glorious God" / "O God, the all-glorious." Each of these is a translation that is clearly vocative.
O God, the All-Glorious, it is.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 2018
England
language of prayer

The way a prayer is said is more important than the language, i.e. the mood , focus , humbleness ,etc.

Feb 2018
Arizona-but earth is one homeland ;)
The way a prayer is said is more important than the language, i.e. the mood , focus , humbleness ,etc.
Indeed as you have said ... Don't forget purity toward your fellows. Ill feelings toward any others may well be the greatest impediment for many.

Jun 2018
USA
I haven't found a 'rulings' on it, we're asked to say it the one way, personally as long as you recite it as asked or in English is OK. Now, I've read studies about the words used in Buddhist meditation have been shown to induce a rhythmic breathing which induces a calmness. A relaxation technique such as the word, Om. So IMHO and I've tried saying it both ways, as for me I did feel a more rhythmic and tranctory way when reciting as asked.

Mar 2018
Oregon
I think this answers this question well:

The Universal House of Justice has received your email letter of 29 December 2008, asking why such terms as “Alláh-u-Abhá” and “Yá Bahá’u’l-Abhá” are used by Bahá’ís rather than being translated into their native tongues, and has asked us to respond as follows.
The House of Justice on another occasion has clarified that the Greatest Name is to be used in its original language for the recitation of “Alláh-u-Abhá” 95 times a day, as well as for its use in the Long Obligatory Prayer and the Prayer for the Dead. It has also clarified that to translate words such as “Alláh-u-Abhá”, “Yá Bahá’u’l-Abhá”, “Mashriqu’l-Adhkár” and “Ḥazíratu’l-Quds” into one’s native language is not acceptable. One exception to this is the alternative use of the words “Right of God” or their equivalent into other languages while the term “Huqúqu’lláh” gradually becomes a part of Bahá’í vocabulary.
In general, one should bear in mind that all translations are, to some degree, inadequate. For instance, the beloved Guardian has pointed out in ... God Passes By that the word “Bahá” signifies at once the “Glory”, the “Splendour” and the “Light” of God; there is no single word in English which can express all these. It is, of course, desirable that there be no loss of meaning through translation; thus, it is preferable that certain terms directly related to the Manifestation of God remain in their original form.
  1. (From a letter dated 22 February 2009 written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice to an individual believer)

source: Translation of Key Bahá'í Terms

Reactions: becky

Jcc

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Interesting statement. But there is no real explanation for someone who is looking for the truth ?
The way I might explain it is that while there are certain things which could be translated, such as “God is Most Glorious” for Allah-u-Abha, there is also a benefit to the worldwide Baha’i community to have certain terms that are the same everywhere, and understood without translation, so that no matter what language you speak you will understand that. Also, Baha’i means “follower of the Glory” but it is better that the Arabic term is used everywhere as it avoids confusion, as people might wonder which Glory you are following.

Reactions: becky
Dec 2019
wisconsin
A meditation:
Devotion is a curious thing. In this case we are applying it to that which we have Dearest to our heart. An interesting phrase has come up in my studies and reflections on how to connect with my spiritual existence. "Primal Point" "Primal Source" from the writings. The inference is to the acknowledgement of what we are focusing our attention on, applying our adoration to, which is the quintessential source of being. To quote the Master, blessed is He; "The spiritual sentiment..." Now consider, when we have adoration for something, that which is of this world, our mental and emotional focus is transfixed on it. The desire is the fullest enthrallment, such that everything is for this said adoration. Considering this application to our supplications to the Beloved, how much greater can our focus be. We have nothing physical in connection to direct any mundane application. It is a Spiritual existence and realm that we are trying to connect to. Our Sentiments must then be applied by means of application in adoration. It is repeatedly stated in the writings, that a moment of fervered reflection is better than mere acknowledgement. So, it occurred to me, how my heart is poised in my supplications is of upmost importance. In such case then, if my love is to follow, it must flow from the best that I can apply. If my language is what best inflects my love, then it is what I must use. Going deeper though, referring to that 'complete enthrallment'; would not my devotion be more if I used that language which my Lord has. Again, referring to the limited access our meager existence has; we do have His, Glorified is He, words and language to this affect. Thus we have; how to address the Blessed Beauty, exalt and praise him. And in numerous tablets, He has mentioned His deference to the Arabic tongue. With this, I am thus suited to show my Love for The All Glorious. For if it be with my native tongue, or His praised intonations, my heart should be so engaged, enthralled, and committed to His Praise. Allah-u-Abha; He is the All-Glorious.

Reactions: tonyfish58