Am I selfish? Where is the line, need opinions please.

Sep 2017
Earth
How do I know when I am being selfish? I am trying to cure my eczema through a new diet I have found which is a plant based diet, I have been focusing on it a lot and been looking up new recipes, but I feel guilty what if I'm being selfish as Bahá'í writings tell us to be selfless? Where is the line? Am I allowed to look after myself? Or should I deny myself as the writings say

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Yousefy2, that is the question we all ask. Baha'u'llah has said do not deny yourself the good things of this world as long as they do not come between the believer and service to all humanity.

Thus it is for you to find your balance. The bthought Abdul'baha gave us is to strive to be as he was.

Regards Tony

Sep 2017
Earth
Yousefy2, that is the question we all ask. Baha'u'llah has said do not deny yourself the good things of this world as long as they do not come between the believer and service to all humanity.

Thus it is for you to find your balance. The bthought Abdul'baha gave us is to strive to be as he was.

Regards Tony
Hi Tony, I guess to be like Abdul Baha confuses me as im aware we all have different capacities, different talents, and different backgrounds. I understand to be like him is to be kind and generous, just and teach the cause, but how we view them things differs and seeing stories of Abdul Baha are just snippets of his life in that moment to that person, with his infinite knowledge and wisdom which we do not possess. I guess im trying to get unstuck in a mental loop of just feeling guilty for my actions and then being assured that they are fine, then back to guilt because I find it hard what the bahai writings actually mean practically for me in my life in some aspects

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Yousefy2, in your example you are changing your diet in order to improve your health, that should be an example of a good thing to do, not a selfish thing, unless you are somehow forcing others to change their diet against their will. We do need to be considerate of others, and if we have special needs try to make an effort to not make that too much of a burden on others.

If someone is sick or disabled they may need someone to take care of them, and should not feel guilty about that, but try to be as pleasant as possible and appreciative, and help out in other ways if they can. It is a bounty to serve others. I have 2 teenage kids, and it is a long learning process to get them to want to help and make an extra effort. They are getting better as they get older, thankfully.

Personally, I have also had to learn to help my wife more, and counteract my tendency to put things off, and to help out right away instead.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Hi Tony, I guess to be like Abdul Baha confuses me as im aware we all have different capacities, different talents, and different backgrounds. I understand to be like him is to be kind and generous, just and teach the cause, but how we view them things differs and seeing stories of Abdul Baha are just snippets of his life in that moment to that person, with his infinite knowledge and wisdom which we do not possess. I guess im trying to get unstuck in a mental loop of just feeling guilty for my actions and then being assured that they are fine, then back to guilt because I find it hard what the bahai writings actually mean practically for me in my life in some aspects
I see you are trying as we are all trying. They are the questions we must ask of ourselves.

Each day we ask we try, we may stumble, but we try again. Abdul'baha says Little by Little day by day and constant effort is required.

The want shows potential growth.

Regards Tony