Answers to our Prayers Discussion

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Another discussion raised the thought as to if God would answer a prayer with a catastrophic event that would see other souls hurt, maimed and killed.

This thread is for us to discuss this concept and look for writings that may clarify our understanding.

Faith tells us that God is in Control of 100% of our Lives and He is want to answer all our payers.

It would also be good to explore the power of Prayer in this Discussion.

God Bless all and Regards Tony

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Yes dear friend I look forward to discussion, but first a light observation.

I have prayed years ago that God may end my life, His response, I am still here. sigh

He most definately answers all prayers I believe, but not always in ways we expect. loving smile

I must say that if He had ended my life at that time, I would not have had the interesting jouney I have experienced since. Praise God the All Knowing.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Dear friend, what is happening here?

Do others have no stories to tell?

I can tell you, one time when down in the pit of misery, and my very heart and soul crying out to God, for guidance and strength, I had a dream.

I dreamt of being on a high peak, from where I could see all around many other peaks, I wondered at the scene before me, what was I seeing what was the significance? When suddely out of the corner of my eye I caught a movement a mist was swirling to my left in and out of those peaks, then suddenly I realised that another was also to my right, two swirling mists, like snakes winding back and forth between those peaks, but always slowly getting nearer to each other. In my mind I felt the conviction that one mist was The Bab, the other was Baha'u'llah and they were communicating to each other, with such love and longing that caused my heart to swell within my chest with such love and pain, I felt tears running like rivers down my cheeks, and then these two mists came together twining around each other in a loving embrace, with odes of joy, I was transfixed by the quality of feeling of joy and love, I suddenly awoke, feeling as if my beating heart would burst from my chest, I could only praise God, for what I saw and felt. The next day I was walking on air, I was no longer sad and sorrowful, and I felt so strong that nothing could make me falter in my faith and love of God.

Sep 2010

I can tell you, one time when down in the pit of misery, and my very heart and soul crying out to God, for guidance and strength, I had a dream.

I dreamt of being on a high peak, from where I could see all around many other peaks, I wondered at the scene before me, what was I seeing what was the significance? When suddely out of the corner of my eye I caught a movement a mist was swirling to my left in and out of those peaks, then suddenly I realised that another was also to my right, two swirling mists, like snakes winding back and forth between those peaks, but always slowly getting nearer to each other. In my mind I felt the conviction that one mist was The Bab, the other was Baha'u'llah and they were communicating to each other, with such love and longing that caused my heart to swell within my chest with such love and pain, I felt tears running like rivers down my cheeks, and then these two mists came together twining around each other in a loving embrace, with odes of joy, I was transfixed by the quality of feeling of joy and love, I suddenly awoke, feeling as if my beating heart would burst from my chest, I could only praise God, for what I saw and felt. The next day I was walking on air, I was no longer sad and sorrowful, and I felt so strong that nothing could make me falter in my faith and love of God.
Dear Bill - Must have been waiting for that Gem ;) :yes:

That dear Friend was a wonderful Dream, I unfortunately can recall no Dream that had any of the Leading Figures of the Faith Play a part in, in Fact I recall very few dreams? I have had a couple of Special Dreams that left me with that next day High. I remember as a child having many many wonderful Free Flying Dreams.

I am currenlty having internet problems, I would say with Solomon Island Elections Happening, the network seems to be getting jammed?

Sep 2010
This is taken from the Baha'i Web Site as it is relevant to this thread which is a very good explanation; Prayer

Prayer and Natural Law

Many people may find it difficult to believe in the efficacy of prayer because of the assumption that answers to prayer would somehow involve arbitrary interference with the laws of nature. An analogy may help to clarify this point. If a magnet were to be held over iron filings the latter will fly upwards and cling to it, but this involves no interference with the law of gravitation. The force of gravity continues to act on the filings just as before. What has happened is that a superior force has been brought into play -- another force whose action is just as regular and calculable as that of gravity. The Bahá'í view is that prayer brings into action higher forces, as yet comparatively little known; but there seems no reason to believe that these forces are more arbitrary in their action than the physical forces.

Another difficulty which some find perplexing is that prayer seems too feeble a force to produce the great results often claimed to it. Analogy may serve to clear up this difficulty also. A small force, when applied to the sluice gate of a reservoir, may release and regulate an enormous flow of water-power, or, when applied to the steering gear of an ocean liner, may control the course of the huge vessel. In the Bahá'í view, the power that brings about answers to prayer is the inexhaustible Power of God. The part of the suppliant is only to exert the feeble force necessary to release the flow or determine the course of the Divine Bounty, which is ever ready to serve those who have learned how to draw upon it.

God Bless and Regards Tony

Mar 2011
us
Another discussion raised the thought as to if God would answer a prayer with a catastrophic event that would see other souls hurt, maimed and killed.

Faith tells us that God is in Control of 100% of our Lives and He is want to answer all our payers.
Whatsoever God wills is the essence of justice, and as such it is possible that He would answer a prayer that would end up badly for others. However, we need to keep in mind that God has said in the Bible that "vengeance is Mine." Thus there must not exist the slightest bit of malice in the heart of the one offering the prayer. Our prayers should be offered with utmost sincerity and good will towards our own selves and others.

"Everything Thou doest is pure justice, nay, the very essence of grace."
Baha'u'llah

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Dear Bill - Must have been waiting for that Gem ;) :yes:

That dear Friend was a wonderful Dream, I unfortunately can recall no Dream that had any of the Leading Figures of the Faith Play a part in, in Fact I recall very few dreams? I have had a couple of Special Dreams that left me with that next day High. I remember as a child having many many wonderful Free Flying Dreams.

I am currenlty having internet problems, I would say with Solomon Island Elections Happening, the network seems to be getting jammed?
Dear friend, this is the only dream I have had with either the Bab or Baha'u'llah. But that does not matter to me, the few dreams I have had and other occurances, I do not consider the amount, or compare to what others experience. They are realy private for the person concerned.

As for flying in dreams when young, I find this interesting as I had this experience also, but my mother kept telling me it was just a dream and not real, but I had trouble understanding that as I saw things from above my home I could not have known without actually flying and seeing from above. Anyway after a while I stopped having these wonderful dreams, although years later I had an out of body experience that was very interesting, maybe I will mention it some time, but it was not connected to prayer as this thread is about.

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
This is taken from the Baha'i Web Site as it is relevant to this thread which is a very good explanation; Prayer

Prayer and Natural Law

Many people may find it difficult to believe in the efficacy of prayer because of the assumption that answers to prayer would somehow involve arbitrary interference with the laws of nature. An analogy may help to clarify this point. If a magnet were to be held over iron filings the latter will fly upwards and cling to it, but this involves no interference with the law of gravitation. The force of gravity continues to act on the filings just as before. What has happened is that a superior force has been brought into play -- another force whose action is just as regular and calculable as that of gravity. The Bahá'í view is that prayer brings into action higher forces, as yet comparatively little known; but there seems no reason to believe that these forces are more arbitrary in their action than the physical forces.

Another difficulty which some find perplexing is that prayer seems too feeble a force to produce the great results often claimed to it. Analogy may serve to clear up this difficulty also. A small force, when applied to the sluice gate of a reservoir, may release and regulate an enormous flow of water-power, or, when applied to the steering gear of an ocean liner, may control the course of the huge vessel. In the Bahá'í view, the power that brings about answers to prayer is the inexhaustible Power of God. The part of the suppliant is only to exert the feeble force necessary to release the flow or determine the course of the Divine Bounty, which is ever ready to serve those who have learned how to draw upon it.

God Bless and Regards Tony
such beautiful explanations. sorry that I have no interesting things to add here because I am a new Baha'i and I have no big experiences yet. but this is a very interesting thread, keep going, I really enjoy :)

Aug 2014
Blue Planet

wonderful dream dear brother, bill :)

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Whatsoever God wills is the essence of justice, and as such it is possible that He would answer a prayer that would end up badly for others. However, we need to keep in mind that God has said in the Bible that "vengeance is Mine." Thus there must not exist the slightest bit of malice in the heart of the one offering the prayer. Our prayers should be offered with utmost sincerity and good will towards our own selves and others.

"Everything Thou doest is pure justice, nay, the very essence of grace."
Baha'u'llah
I tend to agree with armin, that God would answer one persons prayer that may cause anguish to others, come on. Sorry I can not believe such a thing.

I find it strange that many pray for many selfish reasons. We see sportmen thanking God because they have won a goal. This type of thing I feel is totally alien to me.
I do not see any of this type of thing in the Baha'i faith, although one can pray for assistance in finding work, but this is beneficial not only for the person but their family as well.
As armin has said prayer should come from an honest, humble heart, wanting foregiveness and mercy, asking for guidance, not wanting a wish list of a new car , a new house or what ever goodies people crave, like a wish list to Santa Clause.
Just my thoughts on what dear Tony posted.