Any Baha'is live in Cook Islands or Malaysia?

daniel

Forum Staff
Mar 2006
Seattle, WA
Vietnam...that seems nice. I should check to see the steps to get the visa. My country's passport is almost useless; to enter Vietnam, I need to have visa beforehand (that is, I cannot get visa upon arrival), So I should just check to see the steps.
When you're ready to go to Vietnam, pay $15 USD for a 3 Month Single Entry Tourist Visa approval letter from this Vietnam visa site (I have used them many times in the past, they are legit). You will receive the visa approval letter in 3 to 5 working days. Print this letter and give 2 photos and $25 USD to Vietnam immigration when you arrive at the airport, and you'll receive a visa. It's super easy, just a few steps of patience, and make sure your USD dollars are new and crisp for immigration (they will only accept USD).

For Thailand, you can get a 6-Month Multiple Entry Visa only from the Thai Embassy (not Consulate) inside the country of your passport. I wish I had known this when I was in America. Otherwise, you will get a 60 day visa upon arrival, and one extension inside the country, before having to do a visa run. If you choose Thailand, try to get the 6-Month visa in your country.

Malaysia, walk into the country. It's super easy.

let me ask you one more question, and I hope you know the answer. Do you think, since I am not a native English speaker, I can still find job (as English teacher or English speaking nanny) as easily as a native speaker can do?
Minimize any accent you may have, and you will be fine. It sounds like you have experience, so that always helps. And if it's not your native language, I would encourage you to get the TEFL. Once you have that TEFL, all doors open up and people really don't care about past education/experience. Regardless, there is a plethora of opportunities for English speaking individuals. If you have the time, you can start doing everything from home now... look up different schools, contact via email, find FB groups of expats living in these areas, and connecting with that community. Find other English teachers and ask if they need more help. Locals operating their own private language speaking schools are always looking for English speakers because they are trying to grow their network.

Hope this gives you some more ideas. I wouldn't worry about finding the work. Once you get your foot in the door, the opportunities will arise. Take an afternoon and check out the different countries and see what fits best for you. The food and the culture from these different countries will be your lifestyle once you make the move, so maybe your preferences will learn towards a specific country based upon culture and lifestyle. And from there, dive into English speaking opportunities.
I like to be able to live somewhere where I can freely speak about my faith, progress, and have an ordinary life; not amid all kinds of civil and international wars. maybe it's a bit worldly; I don't know.
Your life will be ordinary, and some will view your life as extraordinary in these countries, dependent on where you go. You're free to talk about your faith, and you'll probably connect with others who see similar views. Most of these parts are primarily Buddhist, and they have an open attitude about unity and excepting people from all faiths. In these larger cities, you will have no worries. The only caveat would be to not talk about the local government - Thailand has some strict laws about speaking negative about the royal family and government - and remember Vietnam is a communist country, although I forget this most of the time I'm there because of the lifestyle most people lead. Every country has good and bad, but you can still be yourself and build your community and grow and evolve as a person in a natural way.

And remember, maybe you go to one of these places, and you do not enjoy it. That's ok because now you know, and after 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, you can always move along to another nearby country and find something that is a better fit for you and your life. Keep an open mind and you'll be fine.

Cheers!

Reactions: maryamr

daniel

Forum Staff
Mar 2006
Seattle, WA
Allahu Abha Ahanu
what kind of fb groups do you mean?
Look up "Expats living in Ho Chi Minh" or "Expats living in Bangkok" or "Expats in any city you want" and you will see many options. I do not participate in these groups, but I subscribe as a lurker and I often see in my FB feed posts about local news, apartments for rent, things for sale, and people hiring (only jobs I have ever seen are English speakers, cooking positions for foreign restaurants, and personal trainers for gym rats).

Reactions: maryamr
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
:):love:
Reallllly thank you Daniel . Your information is very useful. U made everything clear. And thank you for telling me about TFEL. I should have either T or IELTS; I should check to see which one doesn't expire, but maybe T is generally more acceptable in these Asian countries.
Thank you again for your help.

Reactions: daniel
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Look up "Expats living in Ho Chi Minh" or "Expats living in Bangkok" or "Expats in any city you want" and you will see many options. I do not participate in these groups, but I subscribe as a lurker and I often see in my FB feed posts about local news, apartments for rent, things for sale, and people hiring (only jobs I have ever seen are English speakers, cooking positions for foreign restaurants, and personal trainers for gym rats).
O joined the groups you mentioned. As soon as my request is accepted, I'm going to ask them more about available occupations. that was a great help. thank you again.

Reactions: daniel