Any examples of Baha'u'llah singing?

Sep 2010
United Kingdom
I know this might seem "trivial" but I am curious! Did Baha'u'llah or Abdu'l-Baha or even the Bab ever sing songs of praise to the Lord?

Do you know that Jesus sang? Jesus’ culture was an intensely musical one (Edward Foley calls it “lyrical”) and we should certainly imagine Jesus delivering the Our Father in some kind of chanted fashion; likewise his reading from Isaiah in Luke 4, and whenever he prayed in the Temple and the Synagogue and the home.

After identifying the bread as his "body" and the wine as his "blood," the Gospel reads:

"And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives." (Matthew 26:30; Mark 14:26).

I often think of Jesus singing and of us singing with him, based on my favorite lines from the documents of Vatican II in Sacrosanctum Concilium, no. 83:

“Christ Jesus, High Priest of the New and Eternal Covenant, taking human nature, introduced into this earthly exile that hymn which is sung throughout all ages in the halls of Heaven. He joins the entire community of humankind to Himself, associating it with His own singing of this canticle of Divine Praise.”

Last edited:
Jun 2006
California
"Did Baha'u'llah or Abdu'l-Baha or even the Bab ever sing songs of praise to the Lord?"

Yeshua...

Have you heard any examples of chanting the prayers? Baha'u'llah in a popular prayer says:

Intone, O My servants, the verses of God that have been received by thee, as intoned by them who have drawn nigh unto Him, that the sweetness of thy melody may kindle thine own soul, and attract the hearts of all men.

~ Baha'u'llah

and

Thus doth the Holy Reed intone its melodies, and the Nightingale of Paradise warble its song, so that He may infuse life eternal into the mortal frames of men, ...

Reciting the Holy Books of God .. chanting them is singing to the Lord...

There, people of different nationalities gather in one meeting and chant the divine tablets with one accord. It might be supposed that they were all brethren. We do not consider anyone a stranger, for it is said by Bahá'u'lláh 'Ye are all the rays of one sun; the fruits of one tree; and the leaves of one branch.' We desire the true brotherhood of humanity. This shall be so, and it has already begun. Praise to be God, the Helper, the Pardoner!"

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 80)

Baha'i prayers chanted by Kevin Locke and Atef Sedkaoui Video by epeli - Myspace Video

Baha'i Prayer Chanted in Farsi on Vimeo

also see references to chanting and singing praises to the All Highest..

http://www.nancywatters.com/sacredworldsong/articles/CHANTING AND SINGING PRAYERS IN UNISON.pdf

Last edited:
Jun 2006
California
There is record also that while imprisoned in the Siyah Chal Prison:

To our knowledge Bahá'u'lláh's first Tablet was a poem in Persian, Rashh-i-'Ama revealed in the Siyah-Chal of Tihran soon after the descent of the Most Great Spirit upon His radiant soul. It is a song of victory and joy. Although its language is allusive, His divine experience is clearly proclaimed. In every line He extols the glory of God of which He had become the embodiment, and in every phrase He unveils the spiritual worlds which were then manifested within His soul.

Although consisting of only nineteen lines, this poem in itself constitutes a mighty book. Within it are contained the potentialities, the character, the power and the glory of forty years of Divine Revelation to come.

It announces the glad-tidings of the release of spiritual energies which are described by Bahá'u'lláh in such terms as the wafting of the divine musk-laden Breeze, the appearance of the Ocean of the Cause of God, the sounding of the Trumpet Blast, the flow of the Living Waters, the warbling of the Nightingale of Paradise and the appearance of the Maid of Heaven.

In language supremely beautiful and soul-stirring, He attributes these energies to Himself. His choice of words, and the beauty, power, depth and mystery of this poem and, indeed, of others which were revealed later, are such that they may well prove impossible to translate.

It is in this ode that Bahá'u'lláh disclosed for the first time one of the unique features of His Revelation, namely, the advent of the 'Day of God' which, at this early stage in His ministry, He clearly associated with Himself.

In this poem He also identified His Revelation with the Day foretold in Islam when the well-known saying 'I am He' would be fulfilled. 'I' signifies the person of the Manifestation of God, that is, Bahá'u'lláh, and 'He' is the designation of God Himself. This is an indication of the greatness of His Revelation. Speaking with the voice of God, Bahá'u'lláh indeed proclaimed in many of His Tablets, 'I am God'. This identity with God, however, is in the realm of God's attributes and not of His essence which is, according to Bahá'u'lláh:

...immensely exalted beyond every human attribute, such
as corporeal existence, ascent and descent, egress and regress.
Far be it from His glory that human tongue should adequately
recount His praise, or that human heart comprehend
His fathomless mystery. He is and hath ever been veiled in
the ancient eternity of His Essence, and will remain in His
Reality everlastingly hidden from the sight of men.(1)

(Adib Taherzadeh, The Revelation of Baha'u'llah v 1, p. 45)

Here is a translation of the Ode:

Translation of Baha'u'llah's Rashh-i Ama (The Mist of Unknown)

Jun 2006
California
There's another example that is well known:

the Tablet of Carmel, which was revealed under extraordinary circumstances on that mountain. Shoghi Effendi, in God Passes By (p. 194), refers to the visit of Bahá'u'lláh to Mt. Carmel when He pitched His tent, the 'Tabernacle of Glory', in the vicinity of the Carmelite Monastery, Stella Maris, near the cave of Elijah.

One evening when I was in Haifa, Shoghi Effendi related that it was in the course of this visit that Bahá'u'lláh revealed His Tablet addressed to that holy mountain, to which, according to Isaiah, 'all nations shall flow'.

Shoghi Effendi said that Bahá'u'lláh chanted the Words of that Tablet with supreme majesty and power; that 'the forceful tone of His exalted language sounded all around, so that even the monks, within the walls of the monastery, heard every word uttered by Him. Such was the commotion created on that historical occasion,' the Guardian said, that 'the earth seemed to shake, while all those present were overpowered by His mighty and wondrous spirit.'

(Ugo Giachery, Shoghi Effendi - Recollections, p. 209)

Aug 2010
New Zealand mainly
In Munirih Khanum's autobiography, she writes of her teens, in the 1860s
in Isfahan,

"I spent a great deal of my time in reading the Tablets and chanting the
communes. I recited every day the Great Prayer, and kept both the Bahai
and Mohammedan fasts."

That would have been typical of the time: prayers were very often chanted. Presumably this would be true of Baha'u'llah as well.

I'm fairly sure I recall mention of a particular style of chanting among some Middle Eastern Bahais, which was supposedly based on their parents or grandparents hearing Baha'u'llah chant, and passing on their own attempts. The style had a particular name, something like the badi chant. But I cannot find anything more at the moment.

Sep 2010
Louisiana
Baha'u'llah did sing/chant!!!!!!!!!!

While in the Siyaah'Chal Baha'u'llah taught His fellow prisoners to chant roughly in my words, God is sufficient unto me, in Him let the trusting trust....

Ghol allah ho yakfe, an choline shayyan......phonetic

It was so loud that the Shah asked what is that? The Shah was told and asked if he wanted it stopped and said no...............

This was not a chant like, "Bring out the author, bring out the author...." this was singing heart felt praise/prayer/singing that was of a form to uplift those hearts into the atmosphere of Abha. They faced death because of Him with joy and faith.............