Any laws in Aqdas regarding....

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Allaho Abha everyone

I'm thrilled to see these many posts up here; seems like the forum has come to life again :)
tomorrow is the first day of the fasting month here; I wish all of you a good month and many spiritual blessings.

Ok, so, I was reading the Arabic Bayan and in a part of it there's a law regarding when a man/woman should marry again after losing her/his spouse. Men MUST marry again after 90 days of the death of their wives and women MUST marry after 95 days. I'm interested to know if there's any such law in Aqdas regarding the same matter. I tried to check it up for myself, but since the book doesn't have a page of content, I found it too difficult to scroll thru the whole book. I'd be glad if anyone can help me out with this. :)

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
Allaho Abha everyone

I'm thrilled to see these many posts up here; seems like the forum has come to life again :)
tomorrow is the first day of the fasting month here; I wish all of you a good month and many spiritual blessings.

Ok, so, I was reading the Arabic Bayan and in a part of it there's a law regarding when a man/woman should marry again after losing her/his spouse. Men MUST marry again after 90 days of the death of their wives and women MUST marry after 95 days. I'm interested to know if there's any such law in Aqdas regarding the same matter. I tried to check it up for myself, but since the book doesn't have a page of content, I found it too difficult to scroll thru the whole book. I'd be glad if anyone can help me out with this. :)
There is nothing like that in the Aqdas. I never heard of this law in the Arabic Bayan. There is a law that when a man and woman are engaged they must be married within 90 or 95 days, I forget which. But that has nothing to deo with what you are talking about.

Reactions: maryamr

Jcc

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
I'm puzzled. It takes two to marry.

gnat
it’s all a mystery as to what was intended by many of the laws of the Bab, although we know that they were never really intended to be put into practice. I imagine that to the oriental mind, or to westerners 200 years ago, it would be odd if the rules applied the same to men and women, who are obviously different. That the rule differs by only 5 days would probably appear radically progressive. Besides the fact that obligating someone to remarry after losing a spouse is also radical, and appears to be intended to cause people to rethink marital relationships and upend existing social practice.

There is no such law in Baha’u’llah’s teachings.

Reactions: maryamr
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
it’s all a mystery as to what was intended by many of the laws of the Bab, although we know that they were never really intended to be put into practice. I imagine that to the oriental mind, or to westerners 200 years ago, it would be odd if the rules applied the same to men and women, who are obviously different. That the rule differs by only 5 days would probably appear radically progressive. Besides the fact that obligating someone to remarry after losing a spouse is also radical, and appears to be intended to cause people to rethink marital relationships and upend existing social practice.

There is no such law in Baha’u’llah’s teachings.
thanks JCC. Yes, you're right, there's always many deep layers in Bab's laws and writings. In Bayan, He explains why there are 5 days difference between the waiting time for men and women; I don't remember is clearly now, but it's something about numerology of the number 95 and 90 and their relationship to the souls of men and women. Also, Muslims used to grave severely for too long. Women, if they wanted to remarry, would be considered as disloyal and men would have to pretend to be sad more than enough. There had been the tradition of tearing one's clothes apart while crying, plucking the beard and the hair on the head as a sign of mourning etc etc. I dare say Bab wanted to bring balance into all these actions, also to indirectly tell people that death of someone we love should not be the end of life for us.
thank you so much for letting me know that there's not such a law in Aqdas anymore.

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Allaho Abha everyone

It may have been that was the minimum waiting period?

There is now a maximum time for engagement set, but no law about marriage times after losing a spouse.

I also consider life expectency for a Babi was also short in those tumultuous times, rapid and drastic change is not appreciated by most.

Happy fasting Maryamr. Hope all is well, as tines are heating up! Regards Tony

Jul 2018
Tarshish, bound for Nineveh
Maryamr,

I suggest you switch your reading order. The Aqdas abrogates and changes quite a lot of the Bayan, so first read the Aqdas then the Bayan and you will be less confused, but the two books really must be taken together.

Cheers