Are Dreams Random?

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Are Dreams Random?
David Langness • January 30,

2015http://bahaiteachings.org/are-dreams-random?utm_source=BT+Subscribers&utm_campaign=6e21f14d7a-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_22fe645b0d-6e21f14d7a-114003317

I see the above link appears not to work, try these instead

http://bahaiteachings.org/the-science-and-the-soul-of-dreaming

http://bahaiteachings.org/are-dreams-random

For many years, researchers (including me) have been using quantitative methods of analysis to study the content of dreams. The findings from these studies provide compelling evidence that dreaming is not meaningless “noise” but rather a coherent and sophisticated mode of psychological functioning. – Kelly Bulkeley, New York Times, 2 October 2014.

The Baha’i teachings share that view—but they also differentiate between dreams, by saying that not all dreams have deep meaning. From a Baha’i perspective, dreams vary in their intensity and importance, which means that both of the major dream theories may contain a significant part of the truth. The activation-synthesis hypothesis could be responsible for our more random dreams; and the more symbolic and meaningful dreams could come from a deeper and more mystical source.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
Well, there are dreams, and there are dreams. Over the years, I've had a few dreams of significant meaning, and then....there are all those nonsensical dreams that just indicate that the subconscious has been released, and among them....well, there are those that I will keep to myself and not tell a soul. :)

With greetings from the dream world,

gnat

Nov 2012
Florida
From a Baha’i perspective, dreams vary in their intensity and importance, which means that both of the major dream theories may contain a significant part of the truth. The activation-synthesis hypothesis could be responsible for our more random dreams; and the more symbolic and meaningful dreams could come from a deeper and more mystical source.
"Moreover, thou hast asked about the dream state. It is a world distinguished among the divine worlds that expresseth and indicateth infinite conditions. For example, it is proof of a world without beginning and end or first and last, inasmuch as something is seen in a dream and after a period of years the same event is observed in this world. From one perspective, if it be said that it is the intermediate world of similitudes resembling the Kingdom, which some regard as the world of similitudes located between the world of Dominion and this mortal world, this is correct. In short, shouldst thou ponder deeply upon this state, thou wilt comprehend innumerable subjects."

"…O questioner, man is the supreme compendium and the most perfect talisman; he is the compendium which containeth a similitude of whatever hath been created in the heavens and the earth. When the soul is released from transitory restrictions and terrestrial states, it will traverse all the stages, and the greater its freedom, the stronger, more steadfast, and true will be its flight."

From a Tablet of Baha’u’llah, Layālī al-Hikmat, vol. 2, pp 65–66 - Provisional translation by Keven Brown

"Verily, God hath created the dream state in His servants that they may be assured of the existence of the worlds hereafter and the life everlasting."

From a Tablet of the Bab, Amr va Khalq, vol. 1, part 3, p 323 - Provisional translation by Keven Brown

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
"Moreover, thou hast asked about the dream state. It is a world distinguished among the divine worlds that expresseth and indicateth infinite conditions. For example, it is proof of a world without beginning and end or first and last, inasmuch as something is seen in a dream and after a period of years the same event is observed in this world. From one perspective, if it be said that it is the intermediate world of similitudes resembling the Kingdom, which some regard as the world of similitudes located between the world of Dominion and this mortal world, this is correct. In short, shouldst thou ponder deeply upon this state, thou wilt comprehend innumerable subjects."

"…O questioner, man is the supreme compendium and the most perfect talisman; he is the compendium which containeth a similitude of whatever hath been created in the heavens and the earth. When the soul is released from transitory restrictions and terrestrial states, it will traverse all the stages, and the greater its freedom, the stronger, more steadfast, and true will be its flight."

From a Tablet of Baha’u’llah, Layālī al-Hikmat, vol. 2, pp 65–66 - Provisional translation by Keven Brown

"Verily, God hath created the dream state in His servants that they may be assured of the existence of the worlds hereafter and the life everlasting."

From a Tablet of the Bab, Amr va Khalq, vol. 1, part 3, p 323 - Provisional translation by Keven Brown
Ooooo.
This makes me want to explore and examine my love of surrealism (the theory that dream-logic is superior to waking logic) now from a Baha'i perspective!!

If the dreamstate is akin to the Kingdom, and is halfway between heaven and earth, this would affirm things like the Surrealist Manifesto, which posited that the state of dreaming was superior to the state of waking.

And "In short, shouldst thou ponder deeply upon this state, thou wilt comprehend innumerable subjects" means me study and indulgence in surrealist media is spiritually valuable. Good to know!!

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Ooooo.
This makes me want to explore and examine my love of surrealism (the theory that dream-logic is superior to waking logic) now from a Baha'i perspective!!

If the dreamstate is akin to the Kingdom, and is halfway between heaven and earth, this would affirm things like the Surrealist Manifesto, which posited that the state of dreaming was superior to the state of waking.

And "In short, shouldst thou ponder deeply upon this state, thou wilt comprehend innumerable subjects" means me study and indulgence in surrealist media is spiritually valuable. Good to know!!
Oh, that so much depends on the quality of the dreams! Who really wants to live in a Surrealist world? I don't think that's the reason why our Faith was founded. No way! :)

gnat

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Oh, that so much depends on the quality of the dreams! Who really wants to live in a Surrealist world? I don't think that's the reason why our Faith was founded. No way! :)

gnat
You sure about that?? I know there's certain philosophical or spiritual thoughts I would not have been able to come up with without the strange perspective of dreams.

Oct 2014
Stockholm
You sure about that?? I know there's certain philosophical or spiritual thoughts I would not have been able to come up with without the strange perspective of dreams.
First of all, I want all clocks to be plane, not bent. Then I hate elephants with long, thin legs. Gnats look nice with such legs, not elephants. :)

gnat

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
First of all, I want all clocks to be plane, not bent. Then I hate elephants with long, thin legs. Gnats look nice with such legs, not elephants. :)

gnat
=|:}P I suppose you prefer your crucifixes to be flat crosses and not hyper-cubes either... And you probably want your pomegranates tiger-free.

Kids these days and their realism.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
In the writings there are 3 levels of dreams

In my own words, as I have no time to look it up!

Pure happenings

Mixed Happenings, Pure combined with nonsence and

Nonsence influenced by daily Happenings/conflicts.

The First not all may have, but some have many.

The second we all experience.

The last usually tops our dreams, our material happenings of the day that effected us are played out in the world of dream and have no Spiritual connection.

In the Tablets of Abdul'Baha somewhere?

God bless and regards Tony