Ask a Catholic Part 2

Apr 2011
Hyrule
In the last thread I wasn't so sure about your answer:

People don't just start praying out loud and prophesying during the Mass . . . . . . there is a time for asking for personal prayers in the form of petitions to God. It may very well have been that this is the time that both men and women were allowed to speak (pray) and possibly prophesy.​

So is this a yes to praying aloud in the church?

For example, in the Baptist church I attended as a kid the preacher would always pray aloud for the benediction prayer and altar call. With the benediction prayer the preacher prays aloud while the congregation is silent, but during an altar call for healing everybody prays aloud--and this sounds like a big incoherent murmur.

Last edited:
Dec 2014
United States
In the last thread I wasn't so sure about your answer:

People don't just start praying out loud and prophesying during the Mass . . . . . . there is a time for asking for personal prayers in the form of petitions to God. It may very well have been that this is the time that both men and women were allowed to speak (pray) and possibly prophesy.​

So is this a yes to praying aloud in the church?
Alright, I will answer this question, but that is about as far as I am willing to go. This is not the correct forum or environment for a thread exclusively about Catholicism. That is not a criticism, just an observation based upon past experience.

The comment I made had to do with whether or not women were allowed to "speak" in Church. My contention was that the term "speak" must be taken as "preaching". The reason is that in the Christian Mass, which is what Christians in the early Church did when they gathered, there simply is no time allowed for this; it is not the purpose of the Mass. The purpose of the Mass is to listen to the word of God, have it explained to us by an ordained minister, and then partake in consuming the body and blood of the Lord before we are sent, once again, into the world to expand God's kingdom on earth.

As far as "praying out loud", yes, absolutely we pray out loud, men and women, where appropriate in the Mass. There are many responses to the priest during the liturgy, all spoken out loud by both men and women and there are common prayers spoken out loud by the entire congregation. This is why I conclude that the prohibition had to do with preaching and not simply speaking in Church. To my knowledge, women have never been prohibited from speaking; they have always been prohibited from preaching. However, all men, other than the deacon, priest or bishop (ordained minister) are prohibited from preaching as well.

Hope this helps.

Peace.

Sojourner

Last edited:
Dec 2014
United States
For example, in the Baptist church I attended as a kid the preacher would always pray aloud for the benediction prayer and altar call. With the benediction prayer the preacher prays aloud while the congregation is silent, but during an altar call for healing everybody prays aloud--and this sounds like a big incoherent murmur.
The Catholic Church has a liturgy that it follows. The Baptist Church is not a liturgical church. Depending upon the type of Baptist church you are speaking of, it is certainly possible that they are engaging in spontaneous prayer which, indeed, may sound like an incoherent murmur.

The Catholic liturgy of the Mass is extremely ordered. In the thread concerning the resurrection of Jesus I gave a quote from Justin Martyr (100-165 AD) explaining the liturgy of the Mass. It's basic structure has not changed since then. A time for spontaneous prayer, other than intercessory prayers offered after the recitation (out loud) of the Apostle's or Nicene Creed, is not provided. The intercessory prayers are spoken one by one. Otherwise all prayers spoken out loud by the congregation as one body, praying the exact same words.

Outside of the liturgy of the Mass, there are other liturgies with common prayers spoken out loud by the entire congregation; i.e. Baptisms, Confirmation, etc. There are other common gatherings on occasion, such as recitation of the Holy Rosary.

In short, we pray out loud every time we gather, both men and women. I can certainly imagine gatherings of the early Christians in which both praying and prophesying were done by women. It just didn't happen in the Mass which supports my position that women were not prohibited from speaking but rather from preaching, as they are today.

Peace.

Sojourner

Similiar Baha'i Discussions Forum Date
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Beliefs