Ask a Rasta

Apr 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
I liked the idea of the "Ask an Anglican" thread and thought maybe there were people who thought the same, what is Rastafari--I can do my best to answer any question you may have on Rastafari.

To answer Aidens question:
What scriptures do Rasta use?

A: Holy scriptures of Rastafari include the Bible, Holy Piby, collected speeches of Haile Selassie I and Marcus Garvey and the most holy, the Kebra Nagast. Rastafari can also be members of different religions, like I am Bahá'í, so the Bahá'í scripture is also considered holy by some Rastafari.

Jul 2011
n ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemuel View Post
Kebra Nagst or Bible.
Thank you. What is Kebra Nagst? And do Rastafarian use mind altering or hallucinogenic substances sacramentally?

Apr 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thank you. What is Kebra Nagst? And do Rastafarian use mind altering or hallucinogenic substances sacramentally?
The Kebra Nagast is a book listing the descendants of King David, proving that Haile Selassie I is a descendant of King David. This belief is central to Rastafari because we believe that you live on within your children, grandchildren, etc, as your children live within you. So King David lived within Haile Selassie I, so He is the King of Kings.

Ah, I knew this question would come up, hallucinagenics.

No, not hallucinagenics. Marijuana is sometimes used to connect with your inner self, used while praying and meditating, etcetera. There are multiple referances to marijuana in the bible. As a Bahá'í, I only smoke on Rasta holidays and other special occasions, I use cannabis and hemp products, shampoos, creams, etcetera other days. As marijuana is a proven good, medical herb. Bahá'u'lláh said some laws could be flexible if it conflicts with your culture.

Apr 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'll do you one better, I'll summarise my faith in one word: Love.

The most important thing to my faith, the Bahá'í Faith and Rastafari is LOVE. 'Abdu'l Bahá once said to be a Bahá'í means to love all the world and the world's creatures. Haile Selassie I said love for all humanity.

Apr 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thank you; if I had to choose one word I would choose the same word; that is good to know.

Unfortunately this is not an easy word to choose, because there are many different ways of using it. May I ask what kind of love you mean?
Caring for humanity, the animals, the vegetation, and the Earth.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Thank you; if I had to choose one word I would choose the same word; that is good to know.

Unfortunately this is not an easy word to choose, because there are many different ways of using it. May I ask what kind of love you mean?
Dear Cathie - unconditional :eek:

God Bless and Regards Tony

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
The Kebra Nagast is a book listing the descendants of King David, proving that Haile Selassie I is a descendant of King David. This belief is central to Rastafari because we believe that you live on within your children, grandchildren, etc, as your children live within you. So King David lived within Haile Selassie I, so He is the King of Kings.

Ah, I knew this question would come up, hallucinagenics.

No, not hallucinagenics. Marijuana is sometimes used to connect with your inner self, used while praying and meditating, etcetera. There are multiple referances to marijuana in the bible. As a Bahá'í, I only smoke on Rasta holidays and other special occasions, I use cannabis and hemp products, shampoos, creams, etcetera other days. As marijuana is a proven good, medical herb. Bahá'u'lláh said some laws could be flexible if it conflicts with your culture.
This is not correct information

1184. The Use of Marijuana, LSD and Other Psychedelic Products
"In reply to your request of October 24, 1967 that we issue a statement concerning 'the use of marijuana, LSD and other psychedelic products', we have already informed the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States that Bahá'ís should not use hallucinogenic agents, including LSD, peyote and similar substances, except when prescribed for medical treatment. Neither should they become involved in experiments with such substances.

"Although we have found no direct reference to marijuana in the Bahá'í writings, since this substance is derived from what is considered to be a milder form of cannabis, the species used to produce hashish, we can share with you a translation from the Persian of a Tablet of Abdu'l-Bahá on hashish:

'Regarding hashish, you had pointed out that some Persians have become habituated to its use. Gracious God! This is the worst of all intoxicants, and its prohibition is explicitly revealed. Its use causeth the disintegration of thought and the complete torpor of the soul. How could anyone seek this fruit of the infernal tree, and by partaking of it, be led to exemplify the qualities of a monster? How could one use this forbidden drug, and thus deprive himself of the blessings of the All-Merciful?..
'Alcohol consumeth the mind and causeth man to commit acts of absurdity, but ... this wicked hashish extinguisheth the mind, freezeth the spirit, petrifieth the soul, wasteth the body and leaveth man frustrated and lost.'"

(From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Hawaiian Islands, November 11, 1967)

Compilations : Lights of Guidance Part 5

Regarding hashish, you had pointed out that some Persians have become habituated to its use. Gracious God! This is the worst of all intoxicants, and its prohibition is explicitly revealed. Its use causeth the disintegration of thought and the complete torpor of the soul. How could anyone seek this fruit of the infernal tree, and by partaking of it, be led to exemplify the qualities of a monster? How could one use this forbidden drug, and thus deprive himself of the blessings of the All-Merciful?... Alcohol consumeth the mind and causeth man to commit acts of absurdity, but ... this wicked hashish extinguisheth the mind, freezeth the spirit, petrifieth the soul, wasteth the body and leaveth man frustrated and lost.
(`Abdu'l-Bahá, from a Tablet- translated from the Persian)

28. Concerning the so-called "spiritual" virtues of the hallucinogens, ... spiritual stimulation should come from turning one's heart to Bahá'u'lláh, and not through physical means such as drugs and agents.

From the description given in your letter it appears that hallucinogenic agents are a form of intoxicant. As the friends, including the youth, are required strictly to abstain from all forms of intoxicants, and are further expected conscientiously to obey the civil law of their country, it is obvious that they should refrain from using these drugs.

A very great responsibility for the future peace and well- being of the world is borne by the youth of today. Let the Bahá'í youth by the power of the Cause they espouse be the shining example for their companions.
(From a letter dated 15 April 1965 written by the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States)

29. ...Bahá'ís should not use hallucinogenic agents, including LSD, peyote and similar substances, except when prescribed for medical

Compilations : Chaste and Holy Life, A

Baha'u'llah's Law Predated the start of this movement.

God bless and Regards Tony

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
my question is since we know that religions and philosophies of life are here to help us have a safer and more successful journey on earth (and the next world as well) and as we know that religions need be refreshed and renewed so what is the reason a person should have two religions (ways of life, or whatever we call it)? isn't the most recent confirmed religion of God complete enough in itself?

Apr 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
This is not correct information

1184. The Use of Marijuana, LSD and Other Psychedelic Products
"In reply to your request of October 24, 1967 that we issue a statement concerning 'the use of marijuana, LSD and other psychedelic products', we have already informed the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States that Bahá'ís should not use hallucinogenic agents, including LSD, peyote and similar substances, except when prescribed for medical treatment. Neither should they become involved in experiments with such substances.

"Although we have found no direct reference to marijuana in the Bahá'í writings, since this substance is derived from what is considered to be a milder form of cannabis, the species used to produce hashish, we can share with you a translation from the Persian of a Tablet of Abdu'l-Bahá on hashish:

'Regarding hashish, you had pointed out that some Persians have become habituated to its use. Gracious God! This is the worst of all intoxicants, and its prohibition is explicitly revealed. Its use causeth the disintegration of thought and the complete torpor of the soul. How could anyone seek this fruit of the infernal tree, and by partaking of it, be led to exemplify the qualities of a monster? How could one use this forbidden drug, and thus deprive himself of the blessings of the All-Merciful?..
'Alcohol consumeth the mind and causeth man to commit acts of absurdity, but ... this wicked hashish extinguisheth the mind, freezeth the spirit, petrifieth the soul, wasteth the body and leaveth man frustrated and lost.'"

(From a letter of the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Hawaiian Islands, November 11, 1967)

Compilations : Lights of Guidance Part 5

Regarding hashish, you had pointed out that some Persians have become habituated to its use. Gracious God! This is the worst of all intoxicants, and its prohibition is explicitly revealed. Its use causeth the disintegration of thought and the complete torpor of the soul. How could anyone seek this fruit of the infernal tree, and by partaking of it, be led to exemplify the qualities of a monster? How could one use this forbidden drug, and thus deprive himself of the blessings of the All-Merciful?... Alcohol consumeth the mind and causeth man to commit acts of absurdity, but ... this wicked hashish extinguisheth the mind, freezeth the spirit, petrifieth the soul, wasteth the body and leaveth man frustrated and lost.
(`Abdu'l-Bahá, from a Tablet- translated from the Persian)

28. Concerning the so-called "spiritual" virtues of the hallucinogens, ... spiritual stimulation should come from turning one's heart to Bahá'u'lláh, and not through physical means such as drugs and agents.

From the description given in your letter it appears that hallucinogenic agents are a form of intoxicant. As the friends, including the youth, are required strictly to abstain from all forms of intoxicants, and are further expected conscientiously to obey the civil law of their country, it is obvious that they should refrain from using these drugs.

A very great responsibility for the future peace and well- being of the world is borne by the youth of today. Let the Bahá'í youth by the power of the Cause they espouse be the shining example for their companions.
(From a letter dated 15 April 1965 written by the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States)

29. ...Bahá'ís should not use hallucinogenic agents, including LSD, peyote and similar substances, except when prescribed for medical

Compilations : Chaste and Holy Life, A

Baha'u'llah's Law Predated the start of this movement.

God bless and Regards Tony

'Abdu'l Bahá was no prophet :), HE can not ban marijuana. I don't use hallucinagenics. And yes, Bahá'u'lláh's laws DO predate Rastafari, so Rastafari is more current in this age. Movement? We are not a movement, Tony. We are a way of life. This thread was created so I could answer questions on Rastafari, why are you here posting this???

Apr 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
my question is since we know that religions and philosophies of life are here to help us have a safer and more successful journey on earth (and the next world as well) and as we know that religions need be refreshed and renewed so what is the reason a person should have two religions (ways of life, or whatever we call it)? isn't the most recent confirmed religion of God complete enough in itself?
I don't have two religion, my religion is Bahá'í, my philosophy is Rastafari.

Similar Baha'i Discussions Baha'i Forum Date
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Discussions