Attended a Baha'i devotional service

Jan 2011
USA
I attended a devotional service today--my first visit to a Baha'i group other than this forum.:) It was very pleasant and I enjoyed it. I'll be going back. I'm told that most "church activities" in this area are in the homes of individuals. It was also explained that the Baha'i faith is not congregational, and I like that. The group seemed to be remarkably free of the "churchy" in-fighting that just exhausts me and is the one thing that would stop me from getting further involved.

Sep 2010
United Kingdom
I attended a devotional service today--my first visit to a Baha'i group other than this forum.:) It was very pleasant and I enjoyed it. I'll be going back. I'm told that most "church activities" in this area are in the homes of individuals. It was also explained that the Baha'i faith is not congregational, and I like that. The group seemed to be remarkably free of the "churchy" in-fighting that just exhausts me and is the one thing that would stop me from getting further involved.
I am very happy to here this Dancho :yes: I hope you enjoy your subsequent visits!

Peace be with you

Sep 2010
Canada
This is so wonderful and reaffirming dancho.:)
I'm chuckling to myself right now because I know how pleased the Bahais were to meet you. You were today's unexpected 'manna from heaven' and they will be smiling about your presence there today for days to come!
It's a very sincere sense of joy we always feel when we meet a seeker with an open mind and heart. I love the intimacy and fellowship of in-home devotionals, firesides and study circles. There are many fine and subtle effects of not having a clergy that can really only be appreciated over time. I hope you will continue to enjoy your experience of the Baha'i community in your area and share your experiences here with us as well.:)

Jun 2006
California
Thanks for sharing this... Baha'is most often meet in each others homes.. unless we have a Center. We don't call ourselves a "church".. more like a community of believers as in Baha'i community.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Thats great - I am glad you had a good experience, after all that is what it is all about.

The world needs unity right here right now, the more that pursue it the better. :yes: :yes:

Best of luck in your search, it will be challenging but it is very rewarding :happy:

Cheers Tony

Last edited:
Jul 2010
Delmarva
infighting - definition of infighting by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"Contentious rivalry or disagreement among members of a group or organization."
Of course Baha'is are people too so don't expect us to be perfect :yes: But I have found their to be a lot more community in Baha'i groups since we meet often at each others houses. Instead of going to a service and having a quick cup of coffee after in the church hall and then leaving we can sometimes spend hours together as freinds after a devotional in the intimate setting the homes provide.