Australian "Baha'i Prayers & Meditations"

Jul 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Dear friends,

Has anyone seen this book? It looks quite lovely, but I'd like to know what is in it and how it is different from the usual prayerbook we all have. Specifically I am interested in the readings; I would love to have a prayerbook with some texts in it so I can limit the number of books I have to take with me from place to place.

Thanks in advance.

~Jon

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Good morning Jon

Dear friends,

Has anyone seen this book? It looks quite lovely, but I'd like to know what is in it and how it is different from the usual prayerbook we all have. Specifically I am interested in the readings; I would love to have a prayerbook with some texts in it so I can limit the number of books I have to take with me from place to place.

Thanks in advance.

~Jon
Yes, bought my wife one, and there are an increasing number of Baha'is here (Australia) who are using this volume in preference to the much-used American compilation. Am hoping as my finances allow to obtain a copy myself.

It also has a very nice feel and appearance. Subjective things, I know, but still...

Have not made a detailed comparison between the two, but there are some prayers in it that are not in the American version, and it has a good selection of Texts throughout the pages. Quite often at Feast, a person will read a Text from this book instead of choosing a prayer.

The volume can readily be purchased online through the Australian Baha'i Distribution Services : Baha'i Distribution Services

With warm greetings

Romane

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Good morning again

The volume can readily be purchased online through the Australian Baha'i Distribution Services : Baha'i Distribution Services
Knowing the website for the Baha'i Distribution Services and that it can somethime be difficult to find what one is loking for, have found the volume there. The link is Baha'i Distribution Services. Baha'i Prayers and Readings(leather hard cover)

The summary at this page reads:

This new 2011 Australian edition of Bahá’í prayers including prayers and tablets is available in a nice patterned leather cover format. A genuine leather is used for this comprehensive 366 pages book. This edition has more number of prayers and tablets than any existing prayer book. The contents include a big range of prayers and tablets of Bahá’ulláh, the Báb and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá. 8 drawings of Baha'i Holy places by Hushang Seyhoun from Whispering Stones collection are used in this compilation. Other features include: round corners, gold edging on three sides, marking ribbon, thin paper and easy to carry 150 mm x 105 mm book size.
With warm greetings

Romane

Jul 2014
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the help, Romane.

It seems like a really nice little volume; it would be nice not to have to pay shipping from the Land Down Under, but I suppose it can't be helped.

~Jon

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile

It seems like a really nice little volume; it would be nice not to have to pay shipping from the Land Down Under, but I suppose it can't be helped.

~Jon
I purchased mine and had it sent to Chile, a small price for such a beautiful presented book.

I guess I have hang overs from my old world life, as the look and feel for me is more sacred, like the way my old bible is presented. sigh

May 2013
forest falls california
USe of metaphor

~Jon
I bought one in the US through a Baha'i Center. Ask the local librarian about it, as there should be a reasonable cost to it. I forget what I paid, but I'm guessing about $12 or so, last year.

May 2011
Australia
Dear friends,

Thanks in advance.

~Jon
I have this book also, as a friend gave it to me as a gift.
I feel it mostly is compiled of prayers still, with a few readings here and there. That's my impression.
It has about 16 of the Hidden Words at the back of the book.

Included is what is called the Book of the Covenant by Baha'u'llah, which takes up about 8 prayer-book pages.

It has a small section on Peace and a prayer for the Remembrance of Martyrs.

And a couple of nice passages under 'Spiritual Qualities' by Baha'u'llah.

The passage that starts with: 'Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity. Be worthy of the trust of thy neighbour, and look upon him with a bright and friendly face...'

And this passage:
'O friends! Be not careless of the virtues with which ye have been endowed, neither be neglectful of your high destiny. Suffer not your labors to be wasted through the vain imaginations which certain hearts have devised. Ye are the stars of the heaven of understanding, the breeze that stirreth at the break of day...' (continues).

I just will add, as far as I can see, the passages that are included are, simply interspersed amongst the prayers in normal sections as you will normally find in prayer books.

It also has some nice drawings included.

One thing I will regretfully add, is that I've been pretty gentle with mine I think, but yet some of the thin leather has come away from the binding just a little, so if you travel with it, be mindful of that.

Also, I think some editions of Prayer books /Hidden Words that are printed in Malaysia but available in bookstores in many countries presumably, have a good selection of selected passages.
There is the small black Hidden Words book that has some wonderful passages from the Central Figures at the back of it, and while you asked about a prayer book, that Hidden Words is so light and easy to carry.

https://peacefulpages.com/product/Hidden_Words_and_Select_Holy_Writings.aspx

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
I purchased this for my oversea trips, it has been through Morocco and Spain and Haifa!

It is a good book, very light paper on the pages though, so must treat with care!

God Bless and Regards Tony

Jul 2011
n ireland
I also have this volume. Like Bill, I love the solemnity of its presentation and always admire the black and white illustrations. For me, it has a little of all I want in one volume.