Bahá'í administration wasting Huqúq'lláh on proprietary software?

Dec 2011
Porto, Portugal
hi,

recently i received an e-mail about recruitment for the Bahái World Centre, which concerns me a lot:

ADMINISTRATION
Executive Assistant
The two primary roles of the Assistant are to support the project manager and
to serve as the office administrator. Work includes direct communication with
local consultants and contractors, tracking project schedules, documentation of
progress of the projects, drafting memos and reports, general secretarial
duties and basic accounting. Knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and
PowerPoint is necessary, as well as experience in secretarial, administrative,
and or project planning roles. Strong organizational abilities, confidence in
decision making, creative problem solving skills, and interpersonal skills
required.
"Knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint is necessary"? - it's really weird Bahá'í World Centre asking for knowledge about software from Microsoft, and shamefully without any mention to alternative libre software (and better) like LibreOffice or OpenOffice - are Huqúqu'lláh funds wasted on crappy, obscure, expensive and proprietary software like from Microsoft, when there are lots of far better options? i really can't understand this situation...

This is also about very basic ethics principles - in my oppinion, a religion and community against oppression must be against the opression from proprietary software developers, simply boycotting them.

I hope, in a close future, the whole Bahá'í community, administration centres and alike, Bahá'í schools, etc., could see the importance the software libre is, for the freedom and flexibility they provide, and how they help users on being far more skilled and productive

From my viewpoint, and from what i readed from him, i truly believe that Bahá'u'lláh would be a truly software libre enthusiast these days, and would be very ashamed on seeing any single Bahá'í place using these obscure proprietary software from Microsoft and alike. Surelly he wouldn't allow any kind proprietary software on a Bahá'í institution.

What do you all think about this? And how soon everyone thinks this situation be reviewed and fixed?

And seeing that transparency is very important in situations like this, how can we verify that no Bahá'í place are using proprietary software, paid from the Huqúq'llah from each Bahá'í member?

Dec 2010
Australia
AWWWWW COMMONNNN.
really?

dude just relax. People use software on the basis of what they think is most effective and useful. It is not like the Bahais are in bed with microsoft, dont worry. Excel is obscure?
Dont at least over half of the companies in the world use excel for their spreadsheets??
Maybe you could write a letter to recommend a new software but there are other issues like for example, what software are people already the most familiar with.
Microsoft is not evil, they are just another company who is out for proffit.

And I see another more sensitive issue. Why do the world centre want to get involved in the issue of liking companies and playing favourites if they are to say one company is bad and one is good even though most software companies are in truth no better than microsoft in terms of ethics.

Dec 2010
Australia
Ok on reflection you might have a point.
Maybe you can write a letter to let them know of your concerns and just hope they will take on a new software like the ones you mention. Otherwise I am not sure there is anything we can do..

Dec 2011
Porto, Portugal
yes, i am very serious about this very concerning situation...

Excel is obscure? Dont at least over half of the companies in the world use excel for their spreadsheets??
i'd start with this link... http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/ooxml_fight_continues_heres_one_way_you_can_help - this is just one tiny example (and very illustrative about what exactly means using Excel, Word and Powerpoint), among a huge amount from Microsoft - do you think is still that correct? and from this viewpoint, how can you define "familiar with"? :/

Jun 2006
California
Nitro,

The position requires:

"Knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and
PowerPoint is necessary.."

this does not imply any favoritism or misuse of any funds. It requires "knowledge"

Not only that but as I recall the position posted on a public forum is inappropriate.

Why not address your concerns to the House of Justice? :)

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Nitro,

The position requires:

this does not imply any favoritism or misuse of any funds. It requires "knowledge"

Not only that but as I recall the position posted on a public forum is inappropriate.

I agree with Athra - This is not the place for this. Contact the Universal House of Justice. You will receive a reply to your request :yes:

Regards Tony

Dec 2011
Porto, Portugal
Nitro,

The position requires:

my concern were about what where between the lines (dangerous, imho - and even tasting as offensive...) - why LibreOffice or OpenOffice were not mentioned, and Microsoft stuff (even Microsoft name) were? - this looks even as an advertise! is Microsoft funding Huqúq'lláh anyhow explicitly? this is really concerning...

well, this about "being inappropriate" without any kind of polite and transparent explanation of this reason, may sound as censorship... i thought that transparency and intelligent discussions were the most essential part from the Bahá'í communities, including this forum...

I agree with Athra - This is not the place for this.
btw, i think must be clear where are the rules to use this forum - anyway, it's far weird for me the reason of existence of this forum, if we can't talk openly about issues like this... i think it's not a taboo at all...

and otherwise, i really wanted to have some feedback from more people about what everybody else also think about this situation (and very concerning in my viewpoint)

Contact the Universal House of Justice. You will receive a reply to your request :yes:

Regards Tony
i sent a mail reply asking exactly these questions as i posted firstly above, but i didn't receive any feedback from there

sorry to everyone about my concerns, but in my opinion, the strength of a philosophy, community and religion comes from transparency

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Louisiana
Just how quickly do you expect the World Centre to answer. There are Baha'is still dying in Iran or in dire danger, software issues seems a little out of proportion. They are still using gasoline at the Wold Centre, shall we wonder about them not using alll hybrid vehicles. These issues you bring up are valid, but they are part of a need for the whole world to change. It is a valid concern, but then it could be similar to thinking all the Baha'is at the World Centre should be vegetarians.

I have not read all that you talk about, it is beyond me, but there is a way to discuss anything about the Faith and a way to criticize anything about the Faith. I think it is okay to bring up this issue, but not as to be so critical, as to be asking questions rather than providing the criticism before considering other views, however welcome to the club. We all get scared when something like this hits us "out of the blue". Glad you are here and one of us. WE cannot take on all issues, but WE WILL BE THE CAUSE FOR WHICH ALL THESE ISSUES ARE ADDRESSED AND WE WILL BE FREE.

Greed hath held captive all mankind. Baha'u'llah-The Fire Tablet

Pardon the fussy tone in the first paragraph. I chose to leave it, Ciao.

Dec 2010
Australia
yes, i am very serious about this very concerning situation...

i'd start with this link... The OOXML fight continues: here's one way you can help - this is just one tiny example (and very illustrative about what exactly means using Excel, Word and Powerpoint), among a huge amount from Microsoft - do you think is still that correct? and from this viewpoint, how can you define "familiar with"? :/
As I said I dont think it is the responsibility of the world centre to get into the issues of say competitive market vs open source software etc.
Maybe it is ideal not to use microsoft products but Yes I think people transfering in and out of the world centre for work would be used to using excel. I mean what did you learn with at university and school? For me my training was in microsoft excel as well as my day job. So is the world centre trying to change the way software is used or take a "stand" against microsoft? Perhaps they should change all their computers to apple because apple is a more ethical company?
You see it is those sorts of issues that I think is abit sticky. Companies are companies and they are mostly greedy and want the best for themselves. Bill Gates gave a lot of money to charity though.