Baha'i Beliefs - God, Religion, Human Beings

Nov 2012
Florida
Baha'is believe the promise of Baha'u'llah that His Revelation and teachings would bring about the unity of the planet; promises contained in previous scriptures -- "One fold and one shepherd","And He shall judge among the nations", "They shall beat their swords into plowshares" "On earth as it is in heaven".

Many still view this as simply impractical and unrealistic pie-in-the-sky dreaming.

The religious leaders of Baha'u'llah's day also didn't buy it. They branded Him a heretic and a usurper of Islam, and vowed to eliminate Him and His Cause. Baha'u'llah addressed them:

"If this Cause be of God, no man can prevail against it; and if it be not of God, the divines amongst you, and they that follow their corrupt desires and such as have rebelled against Him will surely suffice to overpower it." Gleanings, p 220

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
:no:
Hey, Skeptic, I read the below today and liked the different look at 'ungodly' and 'atheist'. It's from 'The Revelation of Baha'u'llah', Vol 3, by Adib Taherzadeh.

"Another enemy as dangerous as one's own self and passion is association with the ungodly which will dampen or destroy one's faith. This is Bahá'u'lláh's ominous warning:

"O Son of Dust! Beware! Walk not with the ungodly and seek not fellowship with him, for such companionship turneth the radiance of the heart into infernal fire."

"The word 'ungodly' should not be misunderstood. An
ungodly person may profess belief in God, while many who regard themselves as agnostics or atheists may not be ungodly in reality. An ungodly person is one who through his friendship, knowingly or unknowingly, prevents a believer fro
m following the dictates of his faith and becomes a barrier between him and his God."

This is really a wonderful find for quotes. I also read in the writings that special consideration will be given to family members of Baha'is that don't declare as Baha'i as long as they don't make problems for the faith or make it difficult for their loved one to live their faith. This I found very comforting as my very dear husband is not Baha'i
Dear Becky yes pray for your dear husband, but do not press him about his faith, you have to be the example maybe that will bring him to see.

I also am the only member of my family to accept the faith, most are not interested at all, I once had two daughters who were on fire with the faith but other peoples bad Baha'i behaviour drove them away. So I pray that maybe one day, before their earthly lives are finished they may investigate the faith again.

In the meantime I serve mankind as best as my weak body will allow.
So yes be comforted dear friend, and remain strong.
Loving regards
Bill

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Good morning dear Becky

This is really a wonderful find for quotes. I also read in the writings that special consideration will be given to family members of Baha'is that don't declare as Baha'i as long as they don't make problems for the faith or make it difficult for their loved one to live their faith. This I found very comforting as my very dear husband is not Baha'i
Many have partners who are not "Baha'is". My own wife is one of them, and we have been married since the end of February 1981. She has given me her reasons, not because I asked, but when discussing and sharing our memories of communities and people.

Now, I use inverted comma's around the term "Baha'is" as a common comment that these ears hear in every community we have been in, including this one, is that she is more Baha'i in so many ways than the Baha'is themselves.

Maybe in her heart she has recognised Baha'u''llah, maybe she has not. But without her strong support, without her encouragement, and without her protection this one would not be who or where he is this day.

Whatever we may not have in common by name, we have in common by heart. And that is what is important.

With my very warmest greetings

Romane

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
Good morning dear Becky

Many have partners who are not "Baha'is". My own wife is one of them, and we have been married since the end of February 1981. She has given me her reasons, not because I asked, but when discussing and sharing our memories of communities and people.

Now, I use inverted comma's around the term "Baha'is" as a common comment that these ears hear in every community we have been in, including this one, is that she is more Baha'i in so many ways than the Baha'is themselves.

Maybe in her heart she has recognised Baha'u''llah, maybe she has not. But without her strong support, without her encouragement, and without her protection this one would not be who or where he is this day.

Whatever we may not have in common by name, we have in common by heart. And that is what is important.

Romane[/QUOTE
Amen to that, Romane! I thank God everyday for Clyde! Without God's grace, I have no idea where I'd be!

May 2013
forest falls california
Can't keep Him down

"If this Cause be of God, no man can prevail against it; and if it be not of God, the divines amongst you, and they that follow their corrupt desires and such as have rebelled against Him will surely suffice to overpower it." Gleanings, p 220

. You just can't keep a good Manifestation down... ;-)

Jun 2014
United States
Good morning dear Becky

Romane
I was baffled at first when my girlfriend once described me as having "godly" attributes despite being an atheist, but after she explained it similar to how Romane explains it, I understood it.

May 2013
forest falls california
We all sense this in you

I was baffled at first when my girlfriend once described me as having "godly" attributes despite being an atheist, but after she explained it similar to how Romane explains it, I understood it.
. You know, she is right. We all, I'm quite sure, get the sense of this from you as you share your perspective and insights. None of us has a monopoly on virtues and these godly attributes, nor are they confined to Baha'is or simply those who profess with their lips to believe in God.

. We use our language in certain ways, form traditions around various words, and consider meaning from those who use these words as correct, and form associations of a broad range from those associations. Yet when some of these associations are negative, due to the discrepencies of professed beliefs and actual behavior, then people naturally become averse to the use of such words.

. Unfortunately, the abuses of the great institutions of the various faith traditions has soured the taste of some of these words, even the use of the word God. This is my opinion only, but one which makes sense to me.

. When religion becomes corrupted, then to abandon that religion is a relgious act, according to Abdul Baha. Only in abandoning such archaic and narrow paths is one freed to rediscover the real meaning and root which formerly caused loyalty and inspiration. We must rediscover the well for ourselves and draw meaningful water, and turn away from that which has become stagnant over time.

. When we do this, we are nourished by the pure water, and not corrupted by the tainted wells dominated by the aggressive souls who seek positions of leadership over others.

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
. You know, she is right. We all, I'm quite sure, get the sense of this from you as you share your perspective and insights. None of us has a monopoly on virtues and these godly attributes, nor are they confined to Baha'is or simply those who profess with their lips to believe in God.

. We use our language in certain ways, form traditions around various words, and consider meaning from those who use these words as correct, and form associations of a broad range from those associations. Yet when some of these associations are negative, due to the discrepencies of professed beliefs and actual behavior, then people naturally become averse to the use of such words.

. Unfortunately, the abuses of the great institutions of the various faith traditions has soured the taste of some of these words, even the use of the word God. This is my opinion only, but one which makes sense to me.

. When religion becomes corrupted, then to abandon that religion is a relgious act, according to Abdul Baha. Only in abandoning such archaic and narrow paths is one freed to rediscover the real meaning and root which formerly caused loyalty and inspiration. We must rediscover the well for ourselves and draw meaningful water, and turn away from that which has become stagnant over time.

. When we do this, we are nourished by the pure water, and not corrupted by the tainted wells dominated by the aggressive souls who seek positions of leadership over others.

.[/QUOTE

Religion must be the cause of fellowship and love. If it become the cause of estrangement, then it is not needed, for religion is like a remedy; if it aggravate the disease, then it becometh unnecessary.

Selected Writings of Abdu'l-Baha' pg 299

Feb 2015
Dominican Republic
That doesn't mean, again, that this was specifically predicted to unleash a city destroying explosion. That is just your interpretation of it. For instance, it could easily be said, that because atoms were known to be the basic unit of life (nobody knew what they looked like) since about the 3rd century BC in Greece, the Persian mystics meant that there was a "sun" meaning the energy of life in the same way the sun spreads light and energy on Earth.
There still isn't anyone who knows what an atom looks like!

Feb 2015
Dominican Republic
Dear suzanne yes English is the business worlds language at the moment, but will not be the universal one.

Why do I say this, because of the words of Abdul-Baha, where he tells us there will be no silent letters. And it will not be Spanish as there will be no words that are of one sex or the other.

Wish I had the quote at my fingertips. But he says most likely that experts of language will form a total new language from those that exist.

Also only my thoughts.
But English is always changing as all languages do. It could, over a century or so, eliminate all sexist words and all silent letters, couldn't it?