Baha'i national government

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
I think that the social laws would partly be organized in a manner similar to that practised in Israel today. Many social laws as marriage and divorce are up to the religious communities to manage on the basis of their own laws.
I don't think it would work that way probably in most countries, like in the US, ofr example where people of all religions currently operate on one system of laws. I can't imagine that here the other religions other than Baha'i would each have their separate system. Perhaps Baha'i would have one system of laws and all other religions would be lumped under one system of laws. I don't know how the others would relate to our arson law, theft law, or adultery law. There would be a host of other laws to fill in the gap by the Universal House of Justice. On some laws they may agree to abide by our laws.

Jul 2017
Germany
I don't know how the others would relate to our arson law, theft law, or adultery law.
Arson, theft and adultery are not "social laws" in the sense I use the word. By this I mean things like marriage and divorce laws, inheritance, and so on. For criminal laws there have to be equal ones for every citizen. It cannot happen that crimes are punished in different ways for different groups.

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
Arson, theft and adultery are not "social laws" in the sense I use the word. By this I mean things like marriage and divorce laws, inheritance, and so on. For criminal laws there have to be equal ones for every citizen. It cannot happen that crimes are punished in different ways for different groups.
It's really a dilemma. On the one hand, how can we put into affect our criminal laws if this would result in conflict with minority religions. On the other hand I admit that having different criminal laws for different people does not seem right, either. Dale Lehman at Planet Baha'i suggested that the Baha'i teachings would so permeate the world that most of the people of the minority religions would accept our criminal laws. This seems too optimistic to me, but I may be wrong.

There is an option in between where the criminal laws do not completely follow the Baha'i criminal laws but are a compromise to try to please everybody. This is not how I have been envisioning the future.

Jul 2017
Germany
I think that there are an absolute minimum of criminal laws in the Aqdas. There is murder, arson, theft and - maybe - adultery. For murder and arson there are only maximum punishments being defined, leaving the degrees and sentences thereof to the Universal House of Justice. For Theft there is livewise not specified for which kind of theft they are executable. Maybe it means some scandal like the Panama Papers revealed. But I cannot imagine that every thief no matter his ciscumstances would be punished at the same degree. There has to be a distinction between stealing a handful of bread and stealing the money of millions of taxpayers. Even what kind of mark is is rthat has to be placed upon one's forehead when stealing for a third time. Maybe it is not even a mark but something like a public rogue's gallery. This would be up to the House of Justice to decide, too. I don't think that the things outlined in the Aqdas are something exclusively applicable in a Bahá'í context but generally applicable and acceptable.

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Duane,

My comments and the quotes offered below for reflection are specifically related to your initial post #1 and to your post #7.

To Queen Victoria Bahá'u'lláh revealed, “That which the Lord hath ordained as the sovereign remedy and mightiest instrument for the healing of all the world is the union of all its peoples in one universal Cause, one common Faith. (The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 91)

Related, `Abdu'l-Bahá stated, "One of the great events, which is to occur in the Day of the manifestation of that incomparable Branch is the hoisting of the Standard of God among all nations. By this is meant that all nations and kindreds will be gathered together under the shadow of this Divine Banner, which is no other than the Lordly Branch itself, and will become a single nation. Religious and sectarian antagonism, the hostility of races and peoples, and differences among nations, will be eliminated. All men will adhere to one religion, will have one common faith, will be blended into one race and become a single people. All will dwell in one common fatherland, which is the planet itself." (cited in a letter of the Guardian dated March 11, 1936; The World Order of Bahá'u'lláh, pp. 204-205)

In a letter dated March 11, 1936, Shoghi Effendi wrote of his vision of the future organization of the planet, including “. . . a system . . . whose life is sustained by its universal recognition of one God and by its allegiance to one common Revelation . . .” (The World Order of Bahá'u'lláh, p. 204)

Whether or not this means that all the peoples of the world will one day become Bahá'ís remains to be seen. On the other hand, if we observe the historic spread (or conquest) of Islam we may get a glimpse of the process the unfoldment of the Revelation of Bahá'u'lláh will follow, and the acceptance of the Faith by the majority of the peoples of the world. As Islam spread, multiple religions, remnants of past civilizations, and cultures came to exist under the “Banner” of Islam, with not all peoples becoming believers, yet that diversity was organized in such a way that all under that "Banner" contributed to the growth and efflorescence of the Islamic civilization, a civilization the likes of which the world had not experienced previously. Similarly, Bahá'u'lláh’s words mention “the vibrating influence of this most great, this new World Order.” and reveal that “Mankind’s ordered life hath been revolutionized through the agency of this unique, this wondrous System—the like of which mortal eyes have never witnessed.” (The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, verse 181) Shoghi Effendi wrote that Bahá'u'lláh is “the One Whom posterity will acclaim . . . as the Organizer of the entire planet” and “as the Creator of a new World Order, and as the Inspirer and Founder of a world civilization.” (God Passes By, pp. 93-94)

Shoghi Effendi early on explained that the current institutions of this new “system” will “add to their present functions those powers, duties, and prerogatives necessitated by the recognition of the Faith of Bahá'u'lláh, not merely as one of the recognized religious systems of the world, but as the State Religion of an independent and Sovereign Power. And as the Bahá'í Faith permeates the masses of the peoples of East and West, and its truth is embraced by the majority of the peoples of a number of the Sovereign States of the world, will the Universal House of Justice attain the plenitude of its power, and exercise, as the supreme organ of the Bahá'í Commonwealth, all the rights, the duties, and responsibilities incumbent upon the world's future super-state.” (Letter dated February 27, 1929; The World Order of Bahá'u'lláh. p. 7)

Thank for giving focus to such an interesting topic.

-LR

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
I think that there are an absolute minimum of criminal laws in the Aqdas. There is murder, arson, theft and - maybe - adultery. For murder and arson there are only maximum punishments being defined, leaving the degrees and sentences thereof to the Universal House of Justice. For Theft there is livewise not specified for which kind of theft they are executable. Maybe it means some scandal like the Panama Papers revealed. But I cannot imagine that every thief no matter his ciscumstances would be punished at the same degree. There has to be a distinction between stealing a handful of bread and stealing the money of millions of taxpayers. Even what kind of mark is is rthat has to be placed upon one's forehead when stealing for a third time. Maybe it is not even a mark but something like a public rogue's gallery. This would be up to the House of Justice to decide, too. I don't think that the things outlined in the Aqdas are something exclusively applicable in a Bahá'í context but generally applicable and acceptable.
Whatever is decided the question still remains whether most minorities would go along with it. Or are you suggesting that the UHJ would tailor the laws for each country to satisfy the minorities?

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Whatever is decided the question still remains whether most minorities would go along with it. Or are you suggesting that the UHJ would tailor the laws for each country to satisfy the minorities?
How can we know? What we do know, is the Universal House of Justice will be under the guidance of God and what they give humanity will reflect this guidance.

Regards Tony

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
How can we know? What we do know, is the Universal House of Justice will be under the guidance of God and what they give humanity will reflect this guidance.

Regards Tony
You're right, this is all speculation, the Universal House of Justice will work it out whatever the situation.

Reactions: tonyfish58