Baha'i Proselytizing advice for internet.

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
This is an extract from a letter to an Individual dated 2014 on a specific topic, but I see this extracted thought covers participating in all forum and religious debate.

@jimhabegger - I sèe your purpose was along these lines.

"....The House of Justice feels it would be ill-advised to engage in discussions intended to convince those who do not accept the station of Bahá’u’lláh that their views are erroneous; such an effort would ultimately prove fruitless. Shoghi Effendi counseled the friends "to have neither concern for, nor involvement in, the controversies of politicians, the wranglings of theologians or any of the ailing social theories current amongst men." The response of the Bahá’í community to the challenges facing humanity lies not in combating specific issues one by one but rather in making efforts to uplift the vision of their compatriots and to work with them for the betterment of the world. In their involvement in society at all levels, the friends should distinguish between those discourses associated with forces of disintegration, such as those which overemphasize sexuality, where involvement would be unproductive, and those associated with forces of integration, whose aim is unity and the collaborative resolution of social ills, to which they can constructively contribute. They should be mindful that the divisive issues of the day, diametrically opposed to the Teachings but often presented in the guise of truth or progress, exert themselves upon the Bahá’í community and can at times result in those "severe mental tests" that the writings state would "inevitably sweep over His loved ones of the West―tests that would purge, purify and prepare them for their noble mission in life."......."

Regards Tony

Reactions: jimhabegger
Sep 2010
?

I guess My heart has seen how fruitless participating in forums on religious debate subjects has been.

No matter how good the intent, to be involved where people do not want to know about Baha'u'llah, is unwise and more likely detrimental to the casue we so Love.

Regards Tony

Reactions: jimhabegger
Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
?
I guess My heart has seen how fruitless participating in forums on religious debate subjects has been.

No matter how good the intent, to be involved where people do not want to know about Baha'u'llah, is unwise and more likely detrimental to the casue we so Love.

Regards Tony
I just dropped by to see if there was anything new here...
I do not see how it is detrimental to the Cause unless we push our beliefs on people.
For one thing, we cannot know that other people do not want to hear us unless they tell us, in which case we do not post to them anymore...
On a large forum, there are many people who read what we write, and we cannot know what effect it might have on them. Only God knows.

Remember what Baha'u'llah said, to proclaim the Cause... That means letting people know He has come. What people do with that information is totally their own business, as we all have free will. If we only think in terms of how many people embrace the Cause then we will never talk to anyone anywhere... :rolleyes:
Besides, none of this is about US and how we feel; it is about doing what Baha'u'llah enjoined us to do.

“O ye beloved of God! Repose not yourselves on your couches, nay bestir yourselves as soon as ye recognize your Lord, the Creator, and hear of the things which have befallen Him, and hasten to His assistance. Unloose your tongues, and proclaim unceasingly His Cause. This shall be better for you than all the treasures of the past and of the future, if ye be of them that comprehend this truth.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 330

“Gird up the loins of thine endeavor, that haply thou mayest guide thy neighbor to the law of God, the Most Merciful. Such an act, verily, excelleth all other acts in the sight of God, the All-Possessing, the Most High. Such must be thy steadfastness in the Cause of God, that no earthly thing whatsoever will have the power to deter thee from thy duty. Though the powers of earth be leagued against thee, though all men dispute with thee, thou must remain unshaken.

Be unrestrained as the wind, while carrying the Message of Him Who hath caused the Dawn of Divine Guidance to break. Consider, how the wind, faithful to that which God hath ordained, bloweth upon all the regions of the earth, be they inhabited or desolate. Neither the sight of desolation, nor the evidences of prosperity, can either pain or please it. It bloweth in every direction, as bidden by its Creator. So should be every one that claimeth to be a lover of the one true God. It behoveth him to fix his gaze upon the fundamentals of His Faith, and to labor diligently for its propagation. Wholly for the sake of God he should proclaim His Message, and with that same spirit accept whatever response his words may evoke in his hearer. He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339

Sep 2010
I just dropped by to see if there was anything new here...
I do not see how it is detrimental to the Cause unless we push our beliefs on people.
For one thing, we cannot know that other people do not want to hear us unless they tell us, in which case we do not post to them anymore...
On a large forum, there are many people who read what we write, and we cannot know what effect it might have on them. Only God knows.

Remember what Baha'u'llah said, to proclaim the Cause... That means letting people know He has come. What people do with that information is totally their own business, as we all have free will. If we only think in terms of how many people embrace the Cause then we will never talk to anyone anywhere... :rolleyes:
Besides, none of this is about US and how we feel; it is about doing what Baha'u'llah enjoined us to do.

“O ye beloved of God! Repose not yourselves on your couches, nay bestir yourselves as soon as ye recognize your Lord, the Creator, and hear of the things which have befallen Him, and hasten to His assistance. Unloose your tongues, and proclaim unceasingly His Cause. This shall be better for you than all the treasures of the past and of the future, if ye be of them that comprehend this truth.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 330

“Gird up the loins of thine endeavor, that haply thou mayest guide thy neighbor to the law of God, the Most Merciful. Such an act, verily, excelleth all other acts in the sight of God, the All-Possessing, the Most High. Such must be thy steadfastness in the Cause of God, that no earthly thing whatsoever will have the power to deter thee from thy duty. Though the powers of earth be leagued against thee, though all men dispute with thee, thou must remain unshaken.

Be unrestrained as the wind, while carrying the Message of Him Who hath caused the Dawn of Divine Guidance to break. Consider, how the wind, faithful to that which God hath ordained, bloweth upon all the regions of the earth, be they inhabited or desolate. Neither the sight of desolation, nor the evidences of prosperity, can either pain or please it. It bloweth in every direction, as bidden by its Creator. So should be every one that claimeth to be a lover of the one true God. It behoveth him to fix his gaze upon the fundamentals of His Faith, and to labor diligently for its propagation. Wholly for the sake of God he should proclaim His Message, and with that same spirit accept whatever response his words may evoke in his hearer. He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339
Hi trailblazer. There is also quotes like this to consider;

"If ye find one athirst, give him to drink from the chalice of Kawtha and Tasneen; and if ye find one endowed with an attentive ear, read unto him the verses of God, the mighty, the merciful, the compassionate! Unloose the tongue with excellent utterance, then admonish the people if ye find them advancing unto the sanctuary of God; otherwise abandon them unto themselves and forsake them in the abyss of hell. Beware lest ye scatter the pearls of inner significance before every barren, dumb one. Verily, the blind are deprived of witnessing the lights and are unable to distinguish between the stone and the holy, precious pearl. Verily, wert thou to read the most mighty, wonderful verses to the stone for a thousand years, will it understand, or will they take any effect therein? No! by thy Lord, the merciful, the clement! If thou readest all the verses of God unto the deaf, will he hear a single letter? No! Verily, by the beauty, the mighty, the ancient!" Bahá’u’lláh, Bahá’í World Faith, p. 207

"It followeth, therefore, that rendering assistance unto God, in this day, doth not and shall never consist in contending or disputing with any soul; nay rather, what is preferable in the sight of God is that the cities of men's hearts, which are ruled by the hosts of self and passion, should be subdued by the sword of utterance, of wisdom and of understanding. Thus, whoso seeketh to assist God must, before all else, conquer, with the sword of inner meaning and explanation, the city of his own heart and guard it from the remembrance of all save God, and only then set out to subdue the cities of the hearts of others." Bahá’u’lláh, The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 109-110

It all comes back to our choices. In the end the greatest teaching is in ones community, serving as Abdul'Baha did. I pray this will be my path more than in the past.

Regards Tony

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
Hi trailblazer. There is also quotes like this to consider;

"If ye find one athirst, give him to drink from the chalice of Kawtha and Tasneen; and if ye find one endowed with an attentive ear, read unto him the verses of God, the mighty, the merciful, the compassionate! Unloose the tongue with excellent utterance, then admonish the people if ye find them advancing unto the sanctuary of God; otherwise abandon them unto themselves and forsake them in the abyss of hell. Beware lest ye scatter the pearls of inner significance before every barren, dumb one. Verily, the blind are deprived of witnessing the lights and are unable to distinguish between the stone and the holy, precious pearl. Verily, wert thou to read the most mighty, wonderful verses to the stone for a thousand years, will it understand, or will they take any effect therein? No! by thy Lord, the merciful, the clement! If thou readest all the verses of God unto the deaf, will he hear a single letter? No! Verily, by the beauty, the mighty, the ancient!" Bahá’u’lláh, Bahá’í World Faith, p. 207

"It followeth, therefore, that rendering assistance unto God, in this day, doth not and shall never consist in contending or disputing with any soul; nay rather, what is preferable in the sight of God is that the cities of men's hearts, which are ruled by the hosts of self and passion, should be subdued by the sword of utterance, of wisdom and of understanding. Thus, whoso seeketh to assist God must, before all else, conquer, with the sword of inner meaning and explanation, the city of his own heart and guard it from the remembrance of all save God, and only then set out to subdue the cities of the hearts of others." Bahá’u’lláh, The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 109-110

It all comes back to our choices. In the end the greatest teaching is in ones community, serving as Abdul'Baha did. I pray this will be my path more than in the past.

Regards Tony
Thanks for the quotes. I will add those to my collection. :D
We all have to decide what to do for the Faith according to our individual capacities, personalities and lifestyle.
I wish you luck in whatever path you choose. :)

Reactions: tonyfish58