Baha'i Sources

Sep 2010
Louisiana
I am really grateful that The Universal House of Justice protects us from people who want to stir up controversy in publications. I am grateful that when something is published by our Trusts, George Ronald, and a few others, that I can trust those works. Do you realize how important this is? Can you see why it is important and why when someone criticizes us for not having all the Writings translated by now, it is too great a task to hurry. Faith in Baha'u'llah means you will trust the rest of the Faith, you will accept the institutions and their guidance. This is not like a college, a business, or an industry where you second guess their work which is an American pasttime.

One good specific example on posts on this Forum was the teaching against homosexuality was attacked, because the source in KATAB-i-AQDAS was "so vague as to not be clear", and since Abdul'baha interpreted that then that does not mean what we think it does especially since "it's genetic...." . Then recently there was a post that showed that in another place Baha'u'llah had specifically prohibitted it very specifically. It would not have mattered to me if the newer source was not available. Ordinary Baha'is without access to sources are best believing and thinking that there is adequate reason for anything in the Faith, because you believe in Baha'u'llah. If you are fighting this battle then it is a personal issue and does not belong in the community. We do not have the time or energy to tackle qualms about sources, ESPECIALLY when it has already been done, many times in fact. There is incredible scholarship out there, please get into that instead.

Being firm in the Covenant means not splitting the central figures of the Faith apart to change the meanings of our teachings, because i.e. something came from Abdul'baha and not Baha'u'llah. It means using acceptance when you don't believe something and praying for knowledge or confirmations. There just are not any explanations for some things. This Faith is about faith!

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
I am really grateful that The Universal House of Justice protects us from people who want to stir up controversy in publications. I am grateful that when something is published by our Trusts, George Ronald, and a few others, that I can trust those works. Do you realize how important this is? Can you see why it is important and why when someone criticizes us for not having all the Writings translated by now, it is too great a task to hurry. Faith in Baha'u'llah means you will trust the rest of the Faith, you will accept the institutions and their guidance. This is not like a college, a business, or an industry where you second guess their work which is an American pasttime.

One good specific example on posts on this Forum was the teaching against homosexuality was attacked, because the source in KATAB-i-AQDAS was "so vague as to not be clear", and since Abdul'baha interpreted that then that does not mean what we think it does especially since "it's genetic...." . Then recently there was a post that showed that in another place Baha'u'llah had specifically prohibitted it very specifically. It would not have mattered to me if the newer source was not available. Ordinary Baha'is without access to sources are best believing and thinking that there is adequate reason for anything in the Faith, because you believe in Baha'u'llah. If you are fighting this battle then it is a personal issue and does not belong in the community. We do not have the time or energy to tackle qualms about sources, ESPECIALLY when it has already been done, many times in fact. There is incredible scholarship out there, please get into that instead.

Being firm in the Covenant means not splitting the central figures of the Faith apart to change the meanings of our teachings, because i.e. something came from Abdul'baha and not Baha'u'llah. It means using acceptance when you don't believe something and praying for knowledge or confirmations. There just are not any explanations for some things. This Faith is about faith!
cire perdue - I agree the most important thing at this time (apart to know & love God) is to hold fast to the covenant - this will be a real test into the future.

After we achieve this, then it is up to us to tread the path of FAITH and see where our efforts take us. Each of us have our own battles to fight, but we can all contribute to a better world in some way.

It is up to each of us to ask our forgiveness and no one else can do this for us of judge us in Faith.

Yes the writings need to be translated accurately, I applaud this as we would not like to see inaccurate translations, this poses problems that the past has already shown.

Regards Tony

Sep 2010
Louisiana
I do not understand

How are people able to ask to have things re-evaluated when the Guardian has evaluated them and asked them not to be replublished? Why are there further questions? We are aware of and do not suppress publications that be called pilgrim's notes. We do not perpetuate them however. I don't understand the questions that people ask in the name of individual investigation of truth that appear to represent their personal issues with authority rather than genuine scholarly pursuits. That is what it appears to be to me, not scholarship. The most elemental fallacious way to overcome in a debate is to discredit sources. In todays world it does not even take truth to do that. Baha'is would seem to want to validate sources or clarify them rather than undermiining them. Myabe I am not intellectual enough or educated enough. I am so glad that scholarship is watched over carefully. I truly, truly am. That arena has the potential for incredible disunity as demonstrated by just people that I know of myself without looking.