Baha'u'llah's worship habits

Nov 2015
France
Hello.

How many times a day did Baha'u'llah pray ? At which hours ?
What prayers did he say (Islamic, Babi ?) ?
What was his direction of prayer ?
Did he pray alone or in group ? Did the group of worshippers pray behind him or around him ?

Thank you.

EDIT : I'm talking about the post-Declaration period (and especially since the Edirne period).

Last edited:
Nov 2015
United States
Not habit related, but I have heard that many of the prayers from Prayers and Meditations of Bahá'u'lláh were revealed as His Own personal prayers. My friend Donesh says that many of the long ones in there are written in His perspective to God about His station and His sufferings. I have not studied that text myself, so I cannot verify this yet. But it would be fascinating if He prayed by His Pen.

Feb 2016
Texas
I’ve read about the lives (when young) of Bahá’u’lláh and the Bab and other saintly figures throughout history. In every instance they were so utterly fixated on God that every waking moment when they didn’t have some other obligation was spent in praise, prayer and yearning to be closer to the Beloved. It’s quite astonishing, would be a cool thing for an interested historian to compile.

I think the only reason Abdul Baha wasn’t similarly constantly in prayer and worship is that his sense of duty and service made him so busy he had little time to do so. Otoh such duty and service is a form of prayer insofar as it is serving God.

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
I’ve read about the lives (when young) of Bahá’u’lláh and the Bab and other saintly figures throughout history. In every instance they were so utterly fixated on God that every waking moment when they didn’t have some other obligation was spent in praise, prayer and yearning to be closer to the Beloved. It’s quite astonishing, would be a cool thing for an interested historian to compile.

I think the only reason Abdul Baha wasn’t similarly constantly in prayer and worship is that his sense of duty and service made him so busy he had little time to do so. Otoh such duty and service is a form of prayer insofar as it is serving God.
that was a very nice answer gs456. thank you.

Jul 2017
Germany
Dear GoaForce,

although there are in fact many stories about Bahá'u'lláhs or 'Abdu'l-Bahás habits we have no tradition comparable to Sunna in Islam. The deeds and habits of our Central Figures may be of interest to get to know them better but They don't expect us to copy them. That should always be born in mind.