Bridging The Gap Between Religion And Mental Illness

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Dear Bill,
I know what you mean by "wreckers", but please try to concentrate on that which is positive inside you: that which you can show, which you want others to show.

I could tell you what I am going through right now, but I don't wish to go into detail. Someone tried, five years ago, to fool me into becoming an accomplice in what I call "attempted murder using the tongue as a weapon" - the victims being innocent people, who had escaped from torture and persecution, now once again becoming the victims of lieful and deceitful slander, which could have cost them their lives by removing all the support they had from friends and authorities. Deceit and lies managed to bring much of that about, but the persons in question luckily have not been delivered into the hands of their persecutors.

And the "best" part of all: the only reason behind this campaign of hate was that one of the persecuted persons unknowingly managed to step on the wrong toe of that "someone".

During these five years, I have concentrated on showing as much love as I could - and more than that - to my two little lovely children, so as to avoid their being contaminated by that tradition of ruthless, lieful slander.

Right now, I am obliged by circumstances to come to terms with these terrible events, as lost as to the way to deal with them as I was five years ago. I am categorically unable to understand how to deal with people who have no conscience.

I wouldn't mind a prayer or two.

gnat
Beloved friend yes will pray for you.

But I feel you are not understanding the point of this thread.
This thread is only about Mental illness, and those who suffer its dreadful effects. And it is about how we as members of Baha'i communities can be more understanding and loving towards people who suffer Mental Illness.

And no I do not wish to hear of your suffering caused by a person or persons who are only acting in a bad way, if you wish to share this knowledge I pray you do so only by personal message, as I would not wish to see saddness caused to any reader, or ammunition for the enemies of the faith.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
All over the world one hears beautiful sayings extolled and noble precepts admired. All men say they love what is good, and hate everything that is evil! Sincerity is to be admired, whilst lying is despicable. Faith is a virtue, and treachery is a disgrace to humanity. It is a blessed thing to gladden the hearts of men, and wrong to be the cause of pain. To be kind and merciful is right, while to hate is sinful. Justice is a noble quality and injustice an iniquity. That it is one's duty to be pitiful and harm no one, and to avoid jealousy and malice at all costs. Wisdom is the glory of man, not ignorance; light, not darkness! It is a good thing to turn one's face toward God, and foolishness to ignore Him. That it is our duty to guide man upward, and not to mislead him and be the cause of his downfall. There are many more examples like unto these.

But all these sayings are but words and we see very few of them carried into the world of action. On the contrary, we perceive that men are carried away by passion and selfishness, each man thinking only of what will benefit himself even if it means the ruin of his brother. They are all anxious to make their fortune and care little or nothing for the welfare of others. They are concerned about their own peace and comfort, while the condition of their fellows troubles them not at all.

Unhappily this is the road most men tread.

But Bahá'ís must not be thus; they must rise above this condition. Actions must be more to them than words. By their actions they must be merciful and not merely by their words. They must on all occasions confirm by their actions what they proclaim in words. Their deeds must prove their fidelity, and their actions must show forth Divine light.

Let your actions cry aloud to the world that you are indeed Bahá'ís, for it is actions that speak to the world and are the cause of the progress of humanity.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 79)

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Then, O ye friends of God! Appreciate the value of this precious Revelation, move and act in accordance with it and walk in the straight path and the right way. Show it to the people. Raise the melody of the Kingdom and spread abroad the teachings and ordinances of the loving Lord so that the world may become another world, the darkened earth may become illumined and the dead body of the people may obtain new life. Every soul may seek everlasting life through the breath of the Merciful. Life in this mortal world will quickly come to an end, and this earthly glory, wealth, comfort and happiness will soon vanish and be no more. Summon ye the people to God and call the souls to the manners and conduct of the Supreme Concourse. To the orphans be ye kind fathers, and to the unfortunate a refuge and shelter. To the poor be a treasure of wealth, and to the sick a remedy and healing. Be a helper of every oppressed one, the protector of every destitute one, be ye ever mindful to serve any soul of mankind. Attach no importance to self-seeking, rejection, arrogance, oppression and enmity. Heed them not. Deal in the contrary way. Be kind in truth, not only in appearance and outwardly. Every soul of the friends of God must concentrate his mind on this, that he may manifest the mercy of God and the bounty of the Forgiving One. He must do good to every soul whom he encounters, and render benefit to him, becoming the cause of improving the morals and correcting the thoughts so that the light of guidance may shine forth and the bounty of His Holiness the Merciful One may encompass. Love is light in whatsoever house it may shine and enmity is darkness in whatsoever abode it dwell.

O friends of God! Strive ye so that this darkness may be utterly dispelled and the Hidden Mystery may be revealed and the realities of things made evident and manifest.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 216)

I emphasize this section............

Summon ye the people to God and call the souls to the manners and conduct of the Supreme Concourse. To the orphans be ye kind fathers, and to the unfortunate a refuge and shelter. To the poor be a treasure of wealth, and to the sick a remedy and healing. Be a helper of every oppressed one, the protector of every destitute one, be ye ever mindful to serve any soul of mankind. Attach no importance to self-seeking, rejection, arrogance, oppression and enmity. Heed them not. Deal in the contrary way. Be kind in truth, not only in appearance and outwardly. Every soul of the friends of God must concentrate his mind on this, that he may manifest the mercy of God and the bounty of the Forgiving One. He must do good to every soul whom he encounters, and render benefit to him, becoming the cause of improving the morals and correcting the thoughts so that the light of guidance may shine forth and the bounty of His Holiness the Merciful One may encompass. Love is light in whatsoever house it may shine and enmity is darkness in whatsoever abode it dwell.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
And no I do not wish to hear of your suffering caused by a person or persons who are only acting in a bad way, if you wish to share this knowledge I pray you do so only by personal message, as I would not wish to see saddness caused to any reader, or ammunition for the enemies of the faith.
Oh, sorry.

gnat

Last edited:
Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Dear Tony I found the article you listed most interesting.
Unfortunately I quote here "Check us out at ã�Šé‡‘ã‚’è³ã�‘ã�ªã�„ギャンブル。無料コーナーã�§ã‚²ãƒ¼ãƒã‚’楽ã�—ã‚‚ã�† and consider becoming a member." When I clicked upon this entry it took me to a site in all Chinese, or assume that was the language, not sure if it has been hacked?

Yes the site for this Baha'i mental health group appears to have a Japanese Gambling take over of the name, have done a search, and as yet have not found a link to this organisation.

Last edited: