Calligrapher of Nastaliq?

Aug 2018
Argentina
I've been looking for some years for a quatrain by someone like Rumí, et al that would compliment the story of Leyí & Majnun. I never found it. Today I read the 4th Persian Hidden Word and I thought, this so beautifully captures the sentiment I was looking for and, obviously, so much more. I was wondering if there was anyone who had great talent with Nastaliq calligraphy who would be interested in penning this Hidden Word? I would be happy to remunerate the artist.

ای پسر انصاف
کدام عاشق جز در وطن معشوق محل گیرد و کدام طالب که بیمطلوب راحت جوید عاشق صادق را حیات در وصالست و موت در فراق صدرشان از صبر خالی و قلوبشان از اصطبار مقّدس از صدهزار جان درگذرند و بکوی جانان شتابند​

O SON OF JUSTICE!
Whither can a lover go but to the land of his beloved? and what seeker findeth rest away from his heart’s desire? To the true lover reunion is life, and separation is death. His breast is void of patience and his heart hath no peace. A myriad lives he would forsake to hasten to the abode of his beloved.

Dec 2012
Earth
Greetings Monti,

Delighted to learn that you can see the Hidden Words in such a mystical light. Words cannot truly explain it, but it is an experience people can share.

There are a number of talented people around that can produce such work. Like with many things in life, it really depends on finding a person who can produce it in a style that talks to you.

Bahaiblog will feature calligraphers from time to time and here is one that has proved quite popular, even if more modern in outlook The Expressive Calligraphic Works of Reza Mostmand - Baha'i Blog His studio can be located here Studio - Reza Mostmand You can contact him to discuss any personal requirements as he is classical trained and if he cannot meet your brief, I am sure he can signpost you to a person who can.

The Hidden Words has been expressed through numerous mediums by some truly capable artists. I have acquired some very nice ones for myself over the years along with giving a number of them away. Each has had an indelible impact upon me in ways I do not truly understand. The most difficult thing for me is to hold a work of beauty when it moves the soul of another. So understand that collecting Hidden Words art can become a hobby of interest in its own right along with being the means to express your love and gratitude to those that have genuinely earned your friendship.

I will leave you with an artistic rendition of these words played and sung by a capable New Zealand artist. You may find expressing them through song helpful because it will allow you to memorise them with ease and reflect on them when needed.

All good things,

Earth

Aug 2018
Argentina
I didn't check back here for a few days. I underestimate the participation of people apparently. Thank you very much for the references. I sent Reza Mostmand en email.

While there is no stated relation of this Hidden Word to the story of the lover in the Valley of Knowledge nor a relation of that lover to Majnún, I tie these all together. I have read Nizami's poem as well. Over the years I have contemplated these things from their various vantage points. I realize the story of mortal love in Nizami's poem is an allegory, but then as a Bahá'í who approached that poem by being introduced to the concept via the 7 Valleys, it was an obvious conclusion. As well, the many poems by Rumí or Attar I always took in that way. I thought this was obvious until I had the opportunity to talk with Coleman Barks after an interview on the radio. I shared my photography on the theme with him and casually mentioned how I found it a fascinating departure from our very occidental view of religion that an allegory for the individual's love for God could be couched in such sensual terms. He reacted as if I had just smacked him with a plank of wood. It was obviously not his experience with these works, nor was he familiar with the concept. I realized at that moment I have spent a lot of time with such works and not enough time talking to others about it.

These works have captivated me as well as tortured me most of my life. Tortured me in those moments where I could relate to the lover's cries "...this watchman is ‘Izrá’íl, my angel of death, following so fast upon me; or he is a tyrant of men, seeking to harm me." knowing he's my Gabriel but unable to project myself forward to that moment. While I so value the whole body of work in the Bahá'í Faith, the mystical works affect me profoundly.

Dec 2012
Earth
Glad to be of assistance to you Monti. I hope that you are able to acquire the calligraphy that you desire.

I was quite taken by your response and can really identify with your outlook. I also found it very interesting that you have encapsulated this theme with your photography and have been interviewed by Coleman Barks. Perhaps when you feel it timely you might be willing to share some of these with readers as it would make for a very pleasant article in its own right.

All good things,

Earth