Can earthly kings punish us after we die?

Jan 2018
Maine
I have an important question. Can earthly kings punish us after we die? Because in the Old Testament religion the king could send someone to hell. But Baha'i's do not believe that hell is an actual location. Or is our fate in the hands of The Universal House of Justice? I was hoping that The Universal House of Justice decides what happens to us after we die and not earthly kings. I do know and understand that The Universal House of Justice is the Baha'i governing body located in Haifa, Israel. Muslims are the biggest persecutors of the Baha'i Faith so I was hoping that our eternal destiny was not decided by one of their earthly kings.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
I have an important question. Can earthly kings punish us after we die? Because in the Old Testament the king could send someone to hell.
Uhhh, can I see that Scripture you're referencing?? I don't know of any place in the Old Testament where a king can send a person to hell... I've even had Jews I've met who told me the Old Testament doesn't even have a concept of hell in it, so I'd be veeeeery interested into seeing that Scripture cited or quoted.

But Baha'i's do not believe that hell is an actual location. Or is our fate in the hands of The Universal House of Justice? I was hoping that The Universal House of Justice decides what happens to us after we die and not earthly kings. I do know and understand that The Universal House of Justice is the Baha'i governing body located in Haifa, Israel.
It ain't the UHJ that decides whether or not you go to Heaven or Hell. And it might be a bit controversial of a statement, but it's not even God who decides that, in a sense. It's ultimately you who decides, by your own degree of nearness or separation, which of the two states you dwell in.

Muslims are the biggest persecutors of the Baha'i Faith so I was hoping that our eternal destiny was not decided by one of their earthly kings.
I still don't really know what chapter and verse you are trying to reference from the Old Testament, so I can't be sure, but I'd think even if it said something like that such a verse would apply only to the old Hebrew system of Kingship, and not any existing, modern institutions. So no worries about the Saud Dynasty judging your fate.

But again, please direct me to the relevant verse.

Jan 2018
Maine
Uhhh, can I see that Scripture you're referencing?? I don't know of any place in the Old Testament where a king can send a person to hell... I've even had Jews I've met who told me the Old Testament doesn't even have a concept of hell in it, so I'd be veeeeery interested into seeing that Scripture cited or quoted.

It ain't the UHJ that decides whether or not you go to Heaven or Hell. And it might be a bit controversial of a statement, but it's not even God who decides that, in a sense. It's ultimately you who decides, by your own degree of nearness or separation, which of the two states you dwell in.

I still don't really know what chapter and verse you are trying to reference from the Old Testament, so I can't be sure, but I'd think even if it said something like that such a verse would apply only to the old Hebrew system of Kingship, and not any existing, modern institutions. So no worries about the Saud Dynasty judging your fate.

But again, please direct me to the relevant verse.
My mistake. I thought that was the system they used in the Old Testament religion. I didn't read that in there. I had a Jewish person tell me that before. He said that only the king can punish a person or condemn them to hell. I guess the Jewish guy was wrong. I think your correct. I think it's up to us and our own spiritual degree and our nearness or away-ness to God. Thank you for answering my question.

Jan 2018
Maine
Praise be to God that the Saud dynasty won't be judging our eternal fate. That would be a nightmare. I think I just misunderstood. Some people have told me some weird religious stuff before. Some people say all kinds of false things sometimes. I'm glad that Jewish guy was wrong.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
So being close to God is the key to my eternal salvation.
The key is detachment from reward or punishment.

We live our lives under Gods given laws for the good of all people and allow God's will for us to be done.

Life is then our reward as in all that happens we see God's grace bounty and mercy is unlimited.

Regards Tony

Jan 2018
Maine
I understand now Walrus and Tony. Thank you very much for enlightening me. Now I can see with a clear vision. The closer I draw to God I will get to him. This was the best answer to my question for me. Thank you both.