Caring for the Earth

Nov 2012
United States
I think the Baha'i Faith, while not at all knocking the concept and principle of advanced technological civilization, encourages mindful ecology, and maintaining a connecting with the Earth and her various ecosystems.

I feel especially blessed to have lived in areas where I always felt directly close to nature. In today's increasingly urban/suburban world, fewer and fewer people have that.

Along those lines, I like this statement by The Guardian:

“We cannot segregate the human heart from the environment outside us and say that once one of these is reformed everything will be improved. Man is organic with the world. His inner life moulds the environment and is itself also deeply affected by it. The one acts upon the other and every abiding change in the life of man is the result of these mutual reactions.”
-- Shoghi Effendi

Your thougts?

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Spot on.

I often miss my connection with the bush/countryside/forest (whatever your cultural word), I like Baha'u'llah, need to at times go to nature ether in a park our out into the countryside.
I immediately feel my connection and with that connection a closer connection to God.

Native peoples know of this connection and are surprised at so called civilized man's ignorance of this connection as they observe the butchery of forests etc.

I am proud of the Baha'i Faith's interaction with other groups in protecting our environment from greedy and unscrupulous peoples.

Nov 2012
United States
Spot on.

I often miss my connection with the bush/countryside/forest (whatever your cultural word), I like Baha'u'llah, need to at times go to nature ether in a park our out into the countryside.
I immediately feel my connection and with that connection a closer connection to God.

Native peoples know of this connection and are surprised at so called civilized man's ignorance of this connection as they observe the butchery of forests etc.

I am proud of the Baha'i Faith's interaction with other groups in protecting our environment from greedy and unscrupulous peoples.

The role of Native peoples is important. I think they retained that deep connection with the Earth, than many of us lost when our ancestors took on more industrialized lifestyles.

I like the Hopi Indian prophecy that talks about the four peoples. "Red", or people of the Earth. "White", or people of fire, "Black," people of water, and "Yellow," people of the wind.

The prophecy implies, things will not be set right at the end of the age, until the Red people are given a full voice to share their wisdom.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
The role of Native peoples is important. I think they retained that deep connection with the Earth, than many of us lost when our ancestors took on more industrialized lifestyles.

I like the Hopi Indian prophecy that talks about the four peoples. "Red", or people of the Earth. "White", or people of fire, "Black," people of water, and "Yellow," people of the wind.

The prophecy implies, things will not be set right at the end of the age, until the Red people are given a full voice to share their wisdom.
Yes I know of this prophecy.

I remember Abdul-Baha speaking of how the native peoples in North America (and I am sure he meant all throughout the world) had a great spiritual offering for mankind.

Sep 2012
Panama
“We cannot segregate the human heart from the environment outside us and say that once one of these is reformed everything will be improved. Man is organic with the world. His inner life moulds the environment and is itself also deeply affected by it. The one acts upon the other and very abiding change in the life of man is the result of these mutual reactions.”

-- Shoghi Effendi
Your thougts?
On the internet, any quote that doesn't include a source/link --even when passed along by friends-- is presumed to be bogus.
At least 90% of all quotes on the internet are invented.

---Abraham Lincoln

Sep 2012
Panama
...The role of Native peoples is important. I think they retained that deep connection with the Earth, than many of us lost when our ancestors took on more industrialized lifestyles...
People acquire divine attributes through changing their environment, not by blending into it. Shoghi Effendi said:
When 'Abdu'l-Bahá says man breaks the laws of nature, He means we shape nature to meet our own needs, as no animal does. Animals adapt themselves to better fit in with and benefit from their environment. But men both surmount and change environment. Likewise when He says nature is devoid of memory He means memory as we have it, not the strange memory of inherited habits which animals so strikingly possess.

(Shoghi Effendi, Arohanui - Letters to New Zealand, p. 85)
...I remember Abdul-Baha speaking of how the native peoples in North America (and I am sure he meant all throughout the world) had a great spiritual offering for mankind.
He said that this offering could be made only after they received God's message:
Attach great importance to the indigenous population of America. For these souls may be likened unto the ancient inhabitants of the Arabian Peninsula, who, prior to the Mission of Muhammad, were like unto savages. When the light of Muhammad shone forth in their midst, however, they became so radiant as to illumine the world. Likewise, these Indians, should they be educated and guided, there can be no doubt that they will become so illumined as to enlighten the whole world.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of the Divine Plan, p. 33)

Feb 2013
United States
On the internet, any quote that doesn't include a source/link --even when passed along by friends-- is presumed to be bogus.
I think that's a pretty high bar. Google is always there to give us the source of any quotes we might have doubts about.

In this case, Shoghi Effendi, Compilations, The Compilation of Compilations vol. I, p. 84

Last edited:
Nov 2012
United States
People acquire divine attributes through changing their environment, not by blending into it. Shoghi Effendi said:He said that this offering could be made only after they received God's message:
Adapting the environment around our dwellings, settlements and agriculture is one thing. And I thought I made it clear, I'm all for technological civilization.

However, just mindlessly pounding the crap out of Mother Earth is quite another thing. I think it's ignorant and shameful.

I do think the Baha'i Faith favors a connection with nature, and mindful environmentalism.

Dec 2012
Earth
I hear you Mytmouse. If you fancy spending an hour and a half seeing how important this is you might enjoy watching this film by Yann Arthus-Bertrand. It is financially supported by a range of corporations and is free for global release. It is available in a number of languages because it is narrated by a number of recognised individuals. I often watch it when I feel like reflecting on such topics.

HOME - YouTube

Earth

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
People acquire divine attributes through changing their environment, not by blending into it. Shoghi Effendi said:He said that this offering could be made only after they received God's message:
As to my comment on native peoples.

What you say is correct, I am sorry if I did not make this very clear.

As the quote says:-Likewise, these Indians, should they be educated and guided, there can be no doubt that they will become so illumined as to enlighten the whole world. (Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of the Divine Plan, p. 33)End quote

I feel that many of these people already have a great spiritual insight and with the knowledge of Baha'u'llah they will be brilliant stars in the world.