Caring for the Earth

Sep 2012
Panama
“We cannot segregate the human heart from the environment outside us and say that once one of these is reformed everything will be improved. Man is organic with the world. His inner life moulds the environment and is itself also deeply affected by it. The one acts upon the other and very abiding change in the life of man is the result of these mutual reactions.”

-- Shoghi Effendi
Your thougts?
...that doesn't include a source/link...
...Shoghi Effendi, Compilations, The Compilation of Compilations vol. I, p. 84
Thanks Light, some how I missed that when I oceaned it. Reason why we need the source is to see the context; in this case the passage that follows is telling:
No movement in the world directs its attention upon both these aspects of human life and has full measures for their improvement, save the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh. And this is its distinctive feature. If we desire therefore the good of the world we should strive to spread those teachings and also practise them in our own life. Through them will the human heart be changed, and also our social environment provides the atmosphere in which we can grow spiritually and reflect in full the light of God shining through the revelation of Bahá'u'lláh.

(Compilations, The Compilation of Compilations vol. I, p. 84)
Also, note that this was not directly from the Guardian but rather "in a letter written on his behalf". That would explain the spelling/grammar errors as well as other issues.

Sep 2012
Panama
...blessed to have lived in areas where I always felt directly close to nature. In today's increasingly urban/suburban world, fewer and fewer people have that...
...just mindlessly pounding the crap out of Mother Earth is quite another thing. I think it's ignorant and shameful...
This is a passionate subject and we agree that heartfelt concern is warranted here.

At the same time, judging our neighbors this way can make it harder for us to convey our message. We might be better off starting with mankind being created to carry forth an ever advancing civilization, then considering others as family --our equals. Finally we can look at specific issues (say, how many parts per million do we want pee in our drinking water) without wasting time and energy with counterproductive anger issues.

My thoughts.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
--which is true of virtually all humankind.
I don't know how many of these Native Americans you know on friendship level, but I for one have a great deal of respect for the ones I know who show wonderful spiritual values, that I don't see in many others I know.

But aside from that I am content that you wish to correct me again :)
This forum is not a place to have to win points.
We have both expressed our views let's just leave it at that.

Nov 2012
United States
This is a passionate subject and we agree that heartfelt concern is warranted here.

At the same time, judging our neighbors this way can make it harder for us to convey our message. We might be better off starting with mankind being created to carry forth an ever advancing civilization, then considering others as family --our equals. Finally we can look at specific issues (say, how many parts per million do we want pee in our drinking water) without wasting time and energy with counterproductive anger issues.

My thoughts.
I agree. I think most of the damage to the environment isn't coming about simply because people don't care a toss. In many cases, they're just trying to better their own lot and life.

Sep 2012
Panama
...damage to the environment isn't coming about simply because people don't care a toss. In many cases, they're just trying to better their own lot...
We're together, and something I'm not very good at is bridging the gap from our understanding and joining with passionate followers of the popular factions we see around us. Sure, we know better than them, but that's irrelevant. What's important is that they're good people and have valid concerns and we're all better off in harmony.

My wife's the 'people person' in the family and I learn a lot from her about building bridges.

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
Dear friends for those who are interested in what the Baha'is are doing regarding environmental concerns have pasted here some interesting places to start.

",,,Our representatives organized a panel titled, ‘The Ethical Dimensions of Climate Change,’ (30 April 2007, New York),..." http://www.bic.org/statements/bahai-international-community%E2%80%9...
Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability. Target 1: Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes and reverse the loss of environmental resources. ACTIONS: Persons attending CSD Learning Center Workshops: “Exploring Capabilities for Sustainable Rural Development” (2008)=100: “The Ethical Dimensions of Climate Change” (2009)=90. Delegates at the United Nations Climate Change Conference (7-11 December 2009)=21. Baha'i delegates from Thailand and Brazil attended the Bangkok Regional Climate Change Conference (29 September 2009). Organizations endorsing our 2009 “Appeal to World Leaders on the Ethical Dimensions of Climate Change”=30. Target 2: Reduce biodiversity loss, achieving, by 2010, a significant reduction in the rate of loss. ACTIONS: Became a partner in a UNDP-Alliance of Religions and Conservation initiative, “Seven-Year Plan of Generational Change” for combating climate change (2008)."
Date: Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Subject: International Environment Forum IEF LEAVES newsletter - February 2013 issue
To: newsletter@iefworld.org
Dear IEF members and friends,
The February 2013 issue of the IEF LEAVES newsletter is now available online and for pdf download at: iefworld.org/newslt44.
Key topics in the February issue include:
- Wilmette Institute Offers Repeat of Climate Change Course
- CIIS Offers New Graduate Program in Ecology, Spirituality, and Religion
- Online discussion: Environmental Sustainability for the World We Want: Moving From the MDGs to Post-2015
- American Bahá’í Community Encourages Climate Change Action
- 2014 United Nations SIDS Conference in APIA, Samoa
- “Our fossil fuel addiction and climate change”, IEF website blog post by Arthur Dahl
- Book review: Bankrupting Nature: Denying our planetary boundaries. A report to the Club of Rome. Anders Wijkam and Johan Rockström - 'HOME' documentary - You Tube link
As always, should you have any comments or contributions for the next newsletter, please send an email to newsletter@iefworld.org
Warmest greetings,
Emily
Emily Firth
General Secretary

Nov 2012
United States
We're together, and something I'm not very good at is bridging the gap from our understanding and joining with passionate followers of the popular factions we see around us. Sure, we know better than them, but that's irrelevant. What's important is that they're good people and have valid concerns and we're all better off in harmony.

My wife's the 'people person' in the family and I learn a lot from her about building bridges.
Sounds similar to my situation. I tend to be the grumpy, stand-offiish one, while my wife is personable, friendly and chatty with everybody.

I also agree, treating people with love, dignity and respect it the most important element in addressing any issue or concern.

I doubt much can be accomplished by telling people, "you're destroying the earth, you jerks!"