Coming from neoagan background

Jul 2013
Terre Haute Indiana
As the title says, I come from a neopagan background though lately it is starting to become obvious that something is missing. Baha'i is very interesting to me though, and I am interested in learning more about your religion. Currently looking through what books to read but there seem to be a lot xD

Anyways I dont know if introduction posts are really liked (a lot forums dislike them) but am looking forward to learning more about your religion

EDIT: Too late now, but I didnt read one of the automatic welcome messages so this is in the wrong part of the forums. My fault >.<

Last edited:
Mar 2010
Rockville, MD, USA

Welcome to the neighborhood! :)

I can suggest several books you might like to read:

The most common general introduction to the Faith is Esselmont's Baha'u'llah and the New Era, which you can probably find in good libraries.

As to our scriptures, I'd especially recommend these:

• The Hidden Words, a short book of poetic verses echoing religious teachings of the past
  • The Book of Certitude (aka Kitab-i-Iqan), our primary theological work
  • Some Answered Questions, a modern-English compilation of answers to questions asked of the head of the Faith

If you'd like a broader selection from our scriptures, I recommend:

• Gleanings

You can find all these books online at these sites:

- Bahá'í Library Online (click "Writings)
- http://www.reference.bahahi.org (this site is multilingual)

and Baha'is will be happy to lend these titles as well.

I wish you good hunting, and please feel free to ask us any further questions--we LOVE 'em! :)

Bruce

Oct 2011
Quilimari,Chile
As the title says, I come from a neopagan background though lately it is starting to become obvious that something is missing. Baha'i is very interesting to me though, and I am interested in learning more about your religion. Currently looking through what books to read but there seem to be a lot xD

Anyways I dont know if introduction posts are really liked (a lot forums dislike them) but am looking forward to learning more about your religion

EDIT: Too late now, but I didnt read one of the automatic welcome messages so this is in the wrong part of the forums. My fault >.<
Hello friend

Dont be concerned if you have made a little mistake, hey we all make mistakes. :bigsmile:

Bruce has suggested some good books, but if you would like some light reading, not scripture the books by William Sears are great, such as Thief in the Night, or Wine of Astonishment. Many of us were attracted to the Faith through these books.

Anyway welcome and happy searching, we each have our own personal journey.

Jun 2006
California

If you call 1-800-22-UNITE you can get free literature and maybe connect with the nearest Baha'is!

Also you can browse the Baha'i book store at

Bahai Distribution Service

:cool::cool:

Nov 2012
United States
Greetings.

For what it's worth, I've found that the Baha'i Faith satisfies and confirms not only my own personal and recent family/culture Christian background -- but also the more distant background of my Pagan Germanic and Celtic ancestors. I don't have to think of my pre-Christian ancestors as heathen brutes who knew nothing of the Creator and spirituality. I realize their traditions and religion came from a Manifestation or Manifestations -- even if the exact names or identities were lost in time and pre-history.

I've not looked too deeply into those older traditions. But what I know, I like. My late father and I did integrate some old Germanic traditions into our hunting practices.
For traditional Germans and Celts, hunting was and is very much a spiritual undertaking. And embracing that has made me feel closer to God and my ancestors when I venture out to hunt.

Anyway, welcome. :)

Last edited:
Jul 2013
Terre Haute Indiana

Welcome to the neighborhood! :)

I can suggest several books you might like to read:

The most common general introduction to the Faith is Esselmont's Baha'u'llah and the New Era, which you can probably find in good libraries.

As to our scriptures, I'd especially recommend these:

• The Hidden Words, a short book of poetic verses echoing religious teachings of the past
  • The Book of Certitude (aka Kitab-i-Iqan), our primary theological work
  • Some Answered Questions, a modern-English compilation of answers to questions asked of the head of the Faith

If you'd like a broader selection from our scriptures, I recommend:

• Gleanings

You can find all these books online at these sites:

- Bahá'í Library Online (click "Writings)
- http://www.reference.bahahi.org (this site is multilingual)

and Baha'is will be happy to lend these titles as well.

I wish you good hunting, and please feel free to ask us any further questions--we LOVE 'em! :)

Bruce
Thanks for the list of books:) I've actually been reading "Evolution and Bahá’í Belief" throughout the morning and afternoon.