Confused On Naw-Ruz

Nov 2015
Canada
Hi, friends. I was reading a post, here:

This article caused me some alarm. Is the 361 recitations of day/night still incumbent upon us as Baha'is, or is this simply a Babi practice? I have not done this in previous years and so if it's something called upon me to do I very much would like to know.

Also, is it true that the feast cannot be combined with Naw-Ruz? That seems a bit ridiculous to me. Have a party and have a separate unrelated dinner party on the same day. In my cluster they have always been one and the same to my knowledge. If they're both on the same day dedicated to the bringing forth of glory, I don't know how one could possibly separate them. Are there any other Naw-Ruz related commands such as the recitation? I very much would like to carry out this Naw-Ruz properly.

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Saveyist:

As far as the following is concerned, “During the night of Naw-Ruz each believer was to recite 361 times the verse `God beareth witness that there is no God but Him, the Ineffable, the Self-Subsistent'; and during the day, `God beareth witness that there is no God but Him, the Precious, the Beloved'”; In my nearly 42 years as a Bahá'í, I have not heard or read anywhere that Bahá'u'lláh ordained that the believers carry forward this Bábí devotional practice.

Larry

Nov 2015
Canada
I have lately been wondering as to the nature of Bayan laws. Someone had told me that, aside from the ones explicitly abrogated/changed by Baha'u'llah, we are still to follow the laws of the Bayan alongside those laid down by Baha'u'llah. Is there truth to this? I did not think this was the case but I also never thought about it much.

Also, upon reading, Baha'u'llah had designated Naw-Ruz as a feast day so I'm pretty certain the ending of the article I posted May not be correct. Either way, I wish everyone a lovely Naw Ruz!

Jan 2020
Middle United States
Many of the laws of the Bab were for symbolic reasons and subject to the approval of Him Whom God Shall Make Manifest. Unless provided for in the Writings of Baha'u'llah, it is not required. I do not know of any required phrase to be said 361 times on Nawruz in Baha'i law.

Nov 2015
Canada
Larry and Lurcking, thank you kindly both for your answers. I feel relieved that I have not been forgetting to do this on Naw-Ruz as it's not required.

Topical however, I do have an interesting confusion still.
Questions and Answers:
"
35. QUESTION: Concerning Naw-Rúz.

ANSWER: The Festival of Naw-Rúz falleth on the day that the sun entereth the sign of Aries, even should this occur no more than one minute before sunset."

...In Modern Day Aries is in April-May now because the stars have drifted. In Baha'u'llah's time even I would think Aries would not cross the ecliptic as early as March 19-21. Are we then, celebrating Naw-Ruz on the wrong day? That seems silly to say and I am inclined to believe Baha'u'llah was not necessarily talking actual stars and moreso about the old zodiacal time and its association with the first point of Aries being the equinox. Either way, I figured I would share with you here, friends. Happy Naw-Ruz!

Jan 2020
Middle United States
ANSWER: The Festival of Naw-Rúz falleth on the day that the sun entereth the sign of Aries, even should this occur no more than one minute before sunset."

...In Modern Day Aries is in April-May now because the stars have drifted. In Baha'u'llah's time even I would think Aries would not cross the ecliptic as early as March 19-21. Are we then, celebrating Naw-Ruz on the wrong day? That seems silly to say and I am inclined to believe Baha'u'llah was not necessarily talking actual stars and moreso about the old zodiacal time and its association with the first point of Aries being the equinox. Either way, I figured I would share with you here, friends. Happy Naw-Ruz!
In the Badi/Baha'i calendar, days begin on sundown and end on sundown. Typically, Nawruz still falls on March 21st or March 20th., sometimes March 22nd. It has been clarified that Baha'i Nawruz begins on the day (Sunset to sunset) when the earth reaches the " [Spring] equinox" in the Northern Hemisphere at a chosen point on the earth. I am not aware of any significant "drift" in Aries. This year, due to the leap year having an extra day in February, the Spring Equinox falls on the evening of March 19th in the United States and morning of March 20th in Europe and Israel), which means that Nawruz began on the evening of March 19th and day of March 20th. The following is from the notes to the Kitab-i-Aqdas (Bahá'í Reference Library - The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Pages 177-178) on this issue:

"The Báb introduced a new calendar, known now as the Badí or Bahá’í calendar (see notes 27 and 147). According to this calendar, a day is the period from sunset to sunset. In the Bayán, the Báb ordained the
month of ‘Alá to be the month of fasting, decreed that the day of Naw-Rúz should mark the termination of that period, and designated Naw-Rúz as the Day of God. Bahá’u’lláh confirms the Badí calendar wherein Naw-Rúz is designated as a feast.

Naw-Rúz is the first day of the new year. It coincides with the spring equinox in the northern hemisphere, which usually occurs on 21 March. Bahá’u’lláh explains that this feast day is to be celebrated on whatever day the sun passes into the constellation of Aries (i.e. the vernal equinox), even should this occur one minute before sunset (Q and A 35). Hence Naw-Rúz could fall on 20, 21, or 22 March, depending on the time of the equinox.

Bahá’u’lláh has left the details of many laws to be filled in by the Universal House of Justice. Among these are a number of matters affecting the Bahá’í calendar. The Guardian has stated that the implementation, worldwide, of the law concerning the timing of Naw-Rúz will require the choice of a particular spot on earth which will serve as the standard for the fixing of the time of the spring equinox. He also indicated that the choice of this spot has been left to the decision of the Universal House of Justice."
The following is the time of the Spring Equinox using Eastern US Time (actual fixing is based on a spot chosen by the House of Justice or using the traditional Persian date/location):

Year Spring Equinox (Northern Hemisphere)
2020 Thursday, March 19, at 11:50 P.M. EDT
2021 Saturday, March 20, at 5:37 A.M. EDT
2022 Sunday, March 20, at 11:33 A.M. EDT
2023 Monday, March 20, at 5:24 P.M. EDT

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Saveyist:

'On the one hand', Bahá'u'lláh expounded upon many of the the Báb's teachings and built upon some of His ordinances (the Badí‘ calendar and details of Naw-Rúz being some examples), while 'on the other hand' abrogating for all time other Islamic and Bábí ordinances and practices . As Lurcking has suggested, we are to adopt and implement the Laws of Bahá'u'lláh as they are the Laws of the 'One Whom God would make Manifest' as foretold by the Báb.

A very happy Naw-Rúz to you as well.

LR

Reactions: tonyfish58
Nov 2015
Canada
In the Badi/Baha'i calendar, days begin on sundown and end on sundown. Typically, Nawruz still falls on March 21st or March 20th., sometimes March 22nd. It has been clarified that Baha'i Nawruz begins on the day (Sunset to sunset) when the earth reaches the " [Spring] equinox" in the Northern Hemisphere at a chosen point on the earth. I am not aware of any significant "drift" in Aries. This year, due to the leap year having an extra day in February, the Spring Equinox falls on the evening of March 19th in the United States and morning of March 20th in Europe and Israel), which means that Nawruz began on the evening of March 19th and day of March 20th. The following is from the notes to the Kitab-i-Aqdas (Bahá'í Reference Library - The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Pages 177-178) on this issue:
I have indeed seen this and it rather confirms they aren't talking about the actual positions of the stars astronomically, as the first point of Aries in the zodiac would coincide with the equinox (March 19-21) while in actuality, Aries the constellation is no longer in that spot in the sky, if they were talking astronomic Aries that we physically could whip out a telescope or stargaze, we would find the first point of Aries actually is in mid April as the stars drift over time because we are no longer in the same point of space in the galaxy since the time the zodiac was written thousands of years ago. I suppose in a sense it's like how a Manifestation must talk in the terms their society understands. Fun fact, you also would not be the star sign your horoscopes would claim you to be - that would be the case if you were born thousands of years ago, but since the stars have drifted as being mentioned, you are more than likely the sign adjacent to your horoscope if you account for the drift. Not that things like your zodiac matter lol but interesting to note how the science differs from the mythic in this instance. This also means that the first point of Aries no longer falls on the equinox in modern day due to drift.

Reactions: tonyfish58
Jun 2006
California
" It has been clarified that Baha'i Nawruz begins on the day (Sunset to sunset) when the earth reaches the " [Spring] equinox" in the Northern Hemisphere at a chosen point on the earth."

A few years ago the House of Justice indicated Naw-Ruz would commence when the Vernal Equinox passes over Tehran the birth place of Baha'u'llah...

"Bahá’u’lláh, in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, defines Naw-Rúz as the day on which the vernal equinox occurs. The exact timing of Naw-Rúz for Bahá’ís worldwide depends on the choice of a particular spot on the Earth and was left to the Universal House of Justice, the governing body of the Bahá’ís to decide. In 2014, the Universal House of Justice chose Tehran as the particular spot. Since Bahá’í days start at sundown, if the equinox occurs just before sunset, the day which started on the previous sunset is Naw-Rúz. Thus Naw-Rúz could fall on either March 20, 21st or 22nd of the Gregorian calendar, though these dates are pre-calculated years in advance. All dates in the Bahá’í calendar are set in relation to Naw-Rúz and thus may shift on the Gregorian calendar by a day or two depending on the timing of the vernal equinox."

As to the Feast of Baha and Naw-Ruz the Guardian wrote:

“The Naw-Rúz Feast should be held on March 21 before sunset and has nothing to do with the 19-day Feast. The 19-day Feast is administrative in function whereas the Naw-Rúz is our New Year, a Feast of hospitality and rejoicing.”

Shoghi Effendi "Directives of the Guardian" (1973 edition) page 87

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
As to the Feast of Baha and Naw-Ruz the Guardian wrote:

“The Naw-Rúz Feast should be held on March 21 before sunset and has nothing to do with the 19-day Feast. The 19-day Feast is administrative in function whereas the Naw-Rúz is our New Year, a Feast of hospitality and rejoicing.”

Shoghi Effendi "Directives of the Guardian" (1973 edition) page 87
Can then one assume that Naw-Ruz feast will now be on the 20th, 21st or 23rd?

Regards Tony

Reactions: Saveyist
Similar Baha'i Discussions Baha'i Forum Date
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Social Practices