Covid 19 crisis

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
I think we should check in with each other to see how we are personally coping with this crisis, how our local Baha'i communities are coping with it, how the world is coping with this, and the implications for God's greater plan for humanity.

This crisis isn't affecting me that much personally. I am retired and don't get out that much anyway. I don't have exposure to people much at all other than my wife. Financially, my wife and I are all right. We weren't working anyway. I have a trust fund from my parents where I get $1000 a month, and this trust fund is invested in the stock market. So if the stock market is bad we won't receive this money as long. We were set to receive this money for 20 years or something like that. My son is at risk because he coughs shallowly when he coughs. Probably he no longer goes to that day program during the work week, so he probably will be bored.

My wife and I go to a community where usually there are 5 people at Feast. It is small enough where we can all sit at least 3 feet apart and not infect each other. My midwestern region was planning to have a pilgrimage to the House of Worship at the end of this month which was called off. Usually we have a county wide Naw Ruz observance which we can't do this year.

The United States is in a bad health and financial crisis in which the states are trying to do what they can, but the federal government has had a poor response. They haven't acted fast enough, and not supplying the states with what they need. The hospitals may not have enough ICU units, hospital beds, and respirators to take care of people. They are already struggling with this, and it will just get worse.

I hate to think how poor countries will do. Iran has been lying about how many cases they have, I don't know why, except that the authorities are in the habit about lying. I got a message in my E-mail to pray at a certain time for the people in Iran but it arrived just a few hours before the event and I didn't see it until afterwards.

We have a fixed time for you, O peoples. If ye fail, at the appointed hour, to turn towards God, He, verily, will lay violent hold on you, and will cause grievous afflictions to assail you from every direction. How severe, indeed, is the chastisement with which your Lord will then chastise you!

, “Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh”
This may be that time. There has been increasing civil strife within countries, this crisis is here, and there is the climate change crisis.

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
I think we should check in with each other to see how we are personally coping with this crisis, how our local Baha'i communities are coping with it, how the world is coping with this, and the implications for God's greater plan for humanity.

This crisis isn't affecting me that much personally. I am retired and don't get out that much anyway. I don't have exposure to people much at all other than my wife. Financially, my wife and I are all right. We weren't working anyway. I have a trust fund from my parents where I get $1000 a month, and this trust fund is invested in the stock market. So if the stock market is bad we won't receive this money as long. We were set to receive this money for 20 years or something like that. My son is at risk because he coughs shallowly when he coughs. Probably he no longer goes to that day program during the work week, so he probably will be bored.

My wife and I go to a community where usually there are 5 people at Feast. It is small enough where we can all sit at least 3 feet apart and not infect each other. My midwestern region was planning to have a pilgrimage to the House of Worship at the end of this month which was called off. Usually we have a county wide Naw Ruz observance which we can't do this year.

The United States is in a bad health and financial crisis in which the states are trying to do what they can, but the federal government has had a poor response. They haven't acted fast enough, and not supplying the states with what they need. The hospitals may not have enough ICU units, hospital beds, and respirators to take care of people. They are already struggling with this, and it will just get worse.

I hate to think how poor countries will do. Iran has been lying about how many cases they have, I don't know why, except that the authorities are in the habit about lying. I got a message in my E-mail to pray at a certain time for the people in Iran but it arrived just a few hours before the event and I didn't see it until afterwards.

We have a fixed time for you, O peoples. If ye fail, at the appointed hour, to turn towards God, He, verily, will lay violent hold on you, and will cause grievous afflictions to assail you from every direction. How severe, indeed, is the chastisement with which your Lord will then chastise you!

, “Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh”
This may be that time. There has been increasing civil strife within countries, this crisis is here, and there is the climate change crisis.
Thanks Duane. Finally, a Baha'i actually says something about this coronavirus pandemic. Just about five minutes ago, I posted a new thread about it on RF, about how I think that some religious people have their heads in the sand, as they are going about their business as usual, as if nothing is even happening. Where I live, that is what the Baha'is are doing, business as usual, only they cannot meet in homes anymore so they have to meet online. That is called the the Novel Baha'i solution.

I can hardly believe that Baha'is are concerned about their Naw Ruz celebration at a time like this.

Do you believe this is God's doing because people failed to recognized Baha'u'llah by the appointed hour? I am sorry to have to say this, but I think the Baha'is have failed to get the message out, so they cannot blame anyone except themselves.

Reactions: becky
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
All good where I live in my remote communuty, but that will most likely change. We have a high risk community with many health issues.

We have a tourist season just about to start, my guess is they will close down the highways in.

That in turn will create great problems, as economically these communities depend upon the short tourist season to make it through the rest of the year.

My family has poor health, so we will take what comes our way, and be thankful for all we face.

Regards Tony

Reactions: becky
Oct 2014
Stockholm
Well, I actuall started a thread called "Apocalyptic Thoughts...." :)

gnat

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
The Bible wasn't even fully decided upon 177 years into Christianity. Yet we have already failed?
Maybe we have not failed, but we certainly could be doing more, especially in the United States. That is all I was trying to say.
Also, we need to look at the times we live in. It is much more urgent to get the message of Baha'u'llah out than it was to get the message of Jesus out.

Last edited:
Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
All good where I live in my remote communuty, but that will most likely change. We have a high risk community with many health issues.

We have a tourist season just about to start, my guess is they will close down the highways in.

That in turn will create great problems, as economically these communities depend upon the short tourist season to make it through the rest of the year.

My family has poor health, so we will take what comes our way, and be thankful for all we face.

Regards Tony
Sorry to hear that the situation may be bad in the future. This is the kind of response I was looking for, but have little of, both here and at Planet Baha'i

Reactions: tonyfish58

Jcc

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Where I am located (in Illinois, USA), schools and most businesses are closed, and the Baha'i community is moving forward very quickly to go online. We have upcoming online Ruhi courses sponsored by the Regional Council for books 1-8, done on the Zoom platform. Other activities are happening on other video conferencing platforms (Skype, Facetime, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, etc.).

My Baha'i community just had a wonderful "virtual" feast using Google Hangouts (paid version). It was the best attended feast in quite a while, with several isolated Baha'is from surrounding areas dialing in as well. For those who could not set up on a PC or tablet, they could call a phone number to attend via voice-only.

If you don't know how to use these collaboration platforms, now is the time to reach out and ask for help setting it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonyfish58
Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
All:

I am certainly not qualified to adequately address the Coronavirus pandemic and how it fits into either or both the natural order of things, or the divine “Scheme of Things”, but it is very apparent that in it all there is a reminder that humanity must give attention to the core Principle of the Oneness of Humanity, the pivot round which revolve all other spiritual based social principles. The absence of implementation of this primary Principle is the true disease. For reflection, I offer the following words of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi:

“O thou servant of God! Do not grieve at the afflictions and calamities that have befallen thee. All calamities and afflictions have been created for man so that he may spurn this mortal world—a world to which he is much attached. When he experienceth severe trials and hardships, then his nature will recoil and he will desire the eternal realm—a realm which is sanctified from all afflictions and calamities. Such is the case with the man who is wise. He shall never drink from a cup which is at the end distasteful, but, on the contrary, he will seek the cup of pure and limpid water. He will not taste of the honey that is mixed with poison.

“Praise thou God, that thou hast been tried and hast experienced such a test. Be patient and grateful. Turn thy face to the divine Kingdom and strive that thou mayest acquire merciful characteristics, mayest become illumined and acquire the attributes of the Kingdom and of the Lord. Endeavour to become indifferent to the pleasures of this world and to its comfort, to remain firm and steadfast in the Covenant and to promulgate the Cause of God.

“This is the cause of the exaltation of man, the cause of his glory and of his salvation.”

(Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, No. 197, p. 239)

"...You seem to complain about the calamities that have befallen humanity. In the spiritual development of man a stage of purgation is indispensable, for it is while passing through it that the over-rated material needs are made to appear in their proper light. Unless society learns to attribute more importance to spiritual matters, it would never be fit to enter the golden era foretold by Bahá'u'lláh. The present calamities are parts of this process of purgation, through them alone will man learn his lesson. They are to teach the nations, that they have to view things internationally, they are to make the individual attribute more importance to his moral than his material welfare.

"In such a process of purgation, when all humanity is in the throes of dire suffering, the Bahá'ís should not hope to remain unaffected. Should we consider the beam that is in our own eye, we would immediately find that these sufferings are also meant for ourselves, who claimed to have attained. Such world crisis is necessary to awaken us to the importance of our duty and the carrying on of our task. Suffering will increase our energy in setting before humanity the road to salvation, it will move us from our repose for we are far from doing our best in teaching the Cause and conveying the Message with which we have been entrusted...."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer in reply to a letter dated October 14, 1931: Bahá'í News, No. 58, January 1932, p. 1; Lights of Guidance, No 447)

Larry