Covid 19 crisis

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
In the spiritual development of man a stage of purgation is indispensable, for it is while passing through it that the over-rated material needs are made to appear in their proper light. Unless society learns to attribute more importance to spiritual matters, it would never be fit to enter the golden era foretold by Bahá'u'lláh.
How much more true that is today than it was in 1931. ;)

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
"In such a process of purgation, when all humanity is in the throes of dire suffering, the Bahá'ís should not hope to remain unaffected. Should we consider the beam that is in our own eye, we would immediately find that these sufferings are also meant for ourselves, who claimed to have attained. Such world crisis is necessary to awaken us to the importance of our duty and the carrying on of our task. Suffering will increase our energy in setting before humanity the road to salvation, it will move us from our repose for we are far from doing our best in teaching the Cause and conveying the Message with which we have been entrusted...."
i hope we will respond as the Guardian predicted.

Nov 2015
Canada
what do you mean not fully decided upon 177 yrs into Christianity?
The development of the New Testament was not a single action but something that happened over time. While early lists existed by 177 without a doubt, things like say, the book of Revelation, which was seemingly rejected initially, being a relatively 'late' addition to the New Testament - and thus, with it's addition in nearly 400 AD during the third council of Carthage, the New Testament was fully decided upon. To my knowledge by around 177 AD the most complete canon list was between 13-19 books, compared to the 27 we have now - and this was not even a written list, but an inferred canon from the writings of Justin Martyr. I would suppose Marcion had the most complete, directly laid out canon with 11 books in his New Testament in around 130 AD.

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
The development of the New Testament was not a single action but something that happened over time. While early lists existed by 177 without a doubt, things like say, the book of Revelation, which was seemingly rejected initially, being a relatively 'late' addition to the New Testament - and thus, with it's addition in nearly 400 AD during the third council of Carthage, the New Testament was fully decided upon. To my knowledge by around 177 AD the most complete canon list was between 13-19 books, compared to the 27 we have now - and this was not even a written list, but an inferred canon from the writings of Justin Martyr. I would suppose Marcion had the most complete, directly laid out canon with 11 books in his New Testament in around 130 AD.
Lot of knowledge there on that subject. You are well read.

Reactions: Trailblazer
Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
We are very rural here in OK. There are no cases of Covid 19 in my county or nearby counties, although there are cases in the state. I follow the epidemiologists' guidelines on the rare occasion we have to go to the feed store for horse feed, or the grocery store for us. Our dilemma lies in getting back to Colorado, which is a two long days drive. We live rural there too, although I believe there is one case in our county and 17 in the next county. Seeing as we are OLDER, this health crisis is worrisome. But I worry as much about my children and grands. We know the old world has to fall apart so the new can emerge. I just continue to pray for the world, that the peoples can embrace God's law to love God and love one another. It seems so simple, so why is it so difficult? It is in God's hand, so stay safe and buckle up everybody.I
Loving Baha'i regards to you all,
Becky

Reactions: tonyfish58
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
We are very rural here in OK. There are no cases of Covid 19 in my county or nearby counties, although there are cases in the state. I follow the epidemiologists' guidelines on the rare occasion we have to go to the feed store for horse feed, or the grocery store for us. Our dilemma lies in getting back to Colorado, which is a two long days drive. We live rural there too, although I believe there is one case in our county and 17 in the next county. Seeing as we are OLDER, this health crisis is worrisome. But I worry as much about my children and grands. We know the old world has to fall apart so the new can emerge. I just continue to pray for the world, that the peoples can embrace God's law to love God and love one another. It seems so simple, so why is it so difficult? It is in God's hand, so stay safe and buckle up everybody.I
Loving Baha'i regards to you all,
Becky
Buckle up indeed Becky, the convulsions grow closer together, awaiting the birth of a New World Order :)

"The whole earth is now in a state of pregnancy. The day is approaching when it will have yielded its noblest fruits, when from it will have sprung forth the loftiest trees, the most enchanting blossoms, the most heavenly blessings." – Baha’u’llah, quoted by Shoghi Effendi in The World Order of Baha’u’llah, p. 169.

"The time is approaching when every created thing will have cast its burden. Glorified be God Who hath vouchsafed this grace that encompasseth all things, whether seen or unseen!" – Shoghi Effendi in The World Order of Baha’u’llah, p. 169.

"These great oppressions are preparing it for the advent of the Most Great Justice." – Baha’u’llah, quoted by Shoghi Effendi in The Promised Day Is Come, p. 5.

It is important to remember that the writings in the faith explain that there will be three distinct stages leading to the new divine civilization.

First will be a period of great turmoil and suffering, which I see we are now witnessing.
Then will come the Lesser Peace, which is the political unity of nations, and
After that will come the Most Great Peace.

As long ago as 1931, the Guardian referred to: "... the gradual diffusion of the spirit of world solidarity which is spontaneously arising out of the welter of a disorganized society..." and Shoghi Effendi described the process as "the titanic upheaval foreshadowed seventy years ago by the prophetic Pen of Bahá'u'lláh" and as the "long-predicted world-encircling conflagration", he pointed out to the Bahá'ís that this great conflict was an "essential prerequisite to world unification".

Exciting times indeed :) Stay safe Becky, you and family and community.

Regards Tony

Jul 2017
Olympia, WA, USA
It seems so simple, so why is it so difficult?
Imo, it is so difficult because most people still cling to the religions of the past.
I have learned this from posting on various forums 24/7 for over seven years...
In the United States, as long as most people are waiting for Jesus to return, they will never recognize Baha'u'llah.
What will it take? I don't know.

“How long will humanity persist in its waywardness? How long will injustice continue? How long is chaos and confusion to reign amongst men? How long will discord agitate the face of society?… The winds of despair are, alas, blowing from every direction, and the strife that divideth and afflicteth the human race is daily increasing. The signs of impending convulsions and chaos can now be discerned, inasmuch as the prevailing order appeareth to be lamentably defective. I beseech God, exalted be His glory, that He may graciously awaken the peoples of the earth, may grant that the end of their conduct may be profitable unto them, and aid them to accomplish that which beseemeth their station.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 216-217

On another note, I live in Washington State so there are a lot of Covid-19 cases up here.
We have been ordered to "shelter in place" so we can only go out for groceries or medical needs.
I am fortunate to be able to work from home.

Last edited:
Mar 2020
Guangzhou, China
Allah'u'Abha!
Greetings from Guangzhou (Canton) China!
I live in the country which brought you the coronavirus. (You can thank us later!)
I am not Chinese, but am living here and teaching in a small university.
This Pandemic has meant staying indoors...only to venture out for groceries.
Otherwise, I have not seen sick or dying folk, except on the internet.
Most of us, Chinese and foreigners, do not believe the official narrative which has the death count in China unbelievably low.

Thinking about loved ones in the States where I can see it getting substantially worse.