Creation and Nature

Feb 2019
Chicago
I wanted to start a discussion on Creation based on these writings of Bahaullah.

"The one true God hath everlastingly existed, and will everlastingly continue to exist. His creation, likewise, hath had no beginning, and will have no end. All that is created, however, is preceded by a cause" (Gleanings, p. 162).

As regards thine assertions about the beginning of creation, this is a matter on which conceptions vary by reason of the divergences in men's thoughts and opinions. Wert thou to assert that it hath ever existed and shall continue to exist, it would be true; or wert thou to affirm the same concept as is mentioned in the sacred Scriptures, no doubt would there be about it, for it hath been revealed by God, the Lord of the worlds. Indeed He was a hidden treasure. This is a station that can never be described nor even alluded to. And in the station of "I did wish to make Myself known," God was, and His creation had ever existed beneath His shelter from the beginning that hath no beginning, apart from its being preceded by a Firstness which cannot be regarded as firstness and originated by a Cause inscrutable even unto all men of learning. That which hath been in existence had existed before, but not in the form thou seest today.The world of existence came into being through the heat generated from the interaction betweenthe active force and that which is its recipient. These two are the same, yet they are different.Thus doth the Great Announcement inform thee about this glorious structure. Such ascommunicate the generating influence and such as receive its impact are indeed created throughthe irresistible Word of God which is the Cause of the entire creation, while all else besides HisWord are but the creatures and the effects thereof. Verily thy Lord is the Expounder, the All-Wise.Know thou, moreover, that the Word of God—exalted be His glory—is higher and far superiorto that which the senses can perceive, for it is sanctified from any property or substance. Ittranscendeth the limitations of known elements and is exalted above all the essential andrecognized substances. It became manifest without any syllable or sound and is none but theCommand of God which pervadeth all created things. It hath never been withheld from the worldof being. It is God’s all-pervasive grace, from which all grace doth emanate. It is an entity farremoved above all that hath been and shall be. (Tablets of Bahá'u'lláh, p. 140).

Nature in its essence is the embodiment of My Name, the Maker, the Creator. Itsmanifestations are diversified by varying causes, and in this diversity there are signs for men ofdiscernment. Nature is God’s Will and is its expression in and through the contingent world. It isa dispensation of Providence ordained by the Ordainer, the All-Wise. Were anyone to affirm thatit is the Will of God as manifested in the world of being, no one should question this assertion. Itis endowed with a power whose reality men of learning fail to grasp. Indeed a man of insight canperceive naught therein save the effulgent splendor of Our Name, the Creator. Say: This is anexistence which knoweth no decay, and Nature itself is lost in bewilderment before its revelations,its compelling evidences and its effulgent glory which have encompassed the universe. (Tablets of Baha’u’llah, p. 141)

Questions for discussion:

1. How does a physical thing like creation have no beginning or end.
2. What does "Word of God" mean?
3. What does "My Name" mean and which name is being referred to by "My Name"

Mar 2013
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
Excellent topic!
Initial thoughts:

1. How does a physical thing like creation have no beginning or end.
If you try to comprehend just the physical universe (not even spiritual reality), it is really beyond anyone's comprehension. Old concepts were constrained by what people could understand at the time, whether through observation or through religious teachings. Modern science has a concept of the size of the "known" universe that is vastly greater than what was understood even 100 years ago, when Hubble discovered that there were billions of galaxies besides our galaxy, let alone 500 years ago when Copernicus discovered that the Earth was not at the center of everything. At least now astronomers know to prefix what we can see as the "known" universe, with the understanding that there is likely an infinitely greater "unknown" universe beyond that.

Having said all that, current science has proposed a possible way that the universe can be both physical and subject to change, as well as endless in both time and space, which I think is amazingly in accord with what Baha'u'llah said 150 years ago. That is, the concept of pulsating or "bubble" universes. In other words, a "Big Bang" happens which is a beginning for one "bubble", which develops over billions of years and eventually dies out, but at the same time, and for all time past and future, there are other "bubbles" that are created, grow and die out, endlessly.

2. What does "Word of God" mean?
The Word of God is the Logos. It is the expression of the Primal Will, and is expressed to us through the coming of God's Manifestations. It is also what brings all things into existence. Therefore, the Bab and Baha'u'llah referred to it as the Creative Word.

3. What does "My Name" mean and which name is being referred to by "My Name"
"My Name" can have more than one level of meaning, referring to God, when the Manifestation is speaking in the Voice of God, or referring to the Manifestation Himself, Who embodies the Word of God, the Logos. There is also the concept that God has many names, which represent different aspects of God that we can perceive. One aspect is that He is the Creator, and through this aspect, all creation exists.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
Having said all that, current science has proposed a possible way that the universe can be both physical and subject to change, as well as endless in both time and space, which I think is amazingly in accord with what Baha'u'llah said 150 years ago. That is, the concept of pulsating or "bubble" universes. In other words, a "Big Bang" happens which is a beginning for one "bubble", which develops over billions of years and eventually dies out, but at the same time, and for all time past and future, there are other "bubbles" that are created, grow and die out, endlessly.
This provisional translation of Abdulbaha "Tablet of the Universe", to me is great gift to science.

Tablet of the Universe

".....Thus the suns of the praise of the one true God moved resplendent in a vast, infinite space, capable neither of being defined by limits nor contained within the compass of signs and allusions. All praise be to Him Who was its Author and Creator, Who spread it out, and adorned it with countless lamps and never-fading luminaries: 'None knoweth the hosts of thy Lord save Him' (Qur'an, 74:31). He made the circuits of these luminous divine orbs to be their lofty and celestial spheres; and He made the bodies of these spiritual spheres to be subtle and soft, flowing and liquid, undulating and vibrating, in such manner that these refulgent orbs swim in the circumferences of the spheres, and move in their vast space by the aid of their Creator and Maker, their Ordainer and Fashioner....."

Will be great to see the authorised translation of that in the future.

Regards Tony