Demonic possession

Jun 2011
Somewhere "in this immensity"
I'm not talking about Hollywood's idea of demonic possession. I'm not talking about cases of mental illness. I'm not even talking about the beliefs about demonic possession common among our Christian brothers and sisters. I'm talking about demonic possesion that would be defined by the the Baha'i understanding of demonic the Baha'i understanding of evil, and the Webster's definition of possession. With all this in mind, is demonic possession not something that we should be concerned about?

What say ye?

Last edited:
Dec 2010
Australia
Ummm...
What?
Your post has me mystified.
Can you explain your position a little more?
The Bahai understanding is that it actually does not exist. It is the vices in man..

Jun 2011
it actually does not exist. It is the vices in man..
Let me see if I follow your logic.

it (demonic possession) is vices of men.
it (demonic possession) does not exist.
vices of men do not exist.

Would you like to reconsider your position, my brother? ;)

Dec 2010
Australia
Let me see if I follow your logic.

it (demonic possession) is vices of men.
it (demonic possession) does not exist.
vices of men do not exist.

Would you like to reconsider your position, my brother? ;)
Demonic possession literally doesnt exist. Vices do exist. But what was the initial discussion supposed to be about? Demonic possession or vices?
I draw a distinction to reduce confusion. Vices exist. Demonic possesion doesnt...
:yes:

Jun 2011
Demonic possession literally doesnt exist. Vices do exist. But what was the initial discussion supposed to be about? Demonic possession or vices?
I draw a distinction to reduce confusion. Vices exist. Demonic possesion doesnt...
:yes:
Actually, if you read the sacred scriptures, you will find that demons and demonic possession do exist, at least as ideas. So my question is, what do these ideas signify? It is fashionable these days to be in one of two camps: demons are indeed entities lurking in the fires of hell or in the shadows, who can get people to do things seemingly against their will and even control them, and those of the camp who write it all off as superstion, or perhaps due to ignorance of mental diseases, etc.

As a Baha'i I find both positions unsatisfactory since, firstly, the sacred scriptures (including the Bible) are divine and I am not inclined to believe that God has revealed superstition or falsehood to us, and secondly, if it were merely a word for mental illnesses before modern science, there are too many examples where that would clearly not be the case.

In our writings and others, we are warned of the Evil One. We are also warned of our bestial and satanic inclinations. Might not these very things become so chronic, severe, and dangerous, that demonic possession is the most applicable term? And I would posit that these 'vices' as you called them, can indeed possess an individual and destroy his life and possibly imperil his very soul. Is that not demonic possession?

I don't like the idea at all that those concepts in the sacred books are merely dismissed as superstious and therefore irrelevant ideas of an ignorant by gone day. In fact, when I look at the world, I see the legions of the Evil Whisperer basically running amok and possessing more than a few unfortunate souls.

Last edited:
Dec 2010
Australia
I dont know if you would want to use the term demonic possession because its reinforcing ppls idle fancies. In this revelation darkness is changed to light and superstition changed to knowledge.
The refined understanding sees it is a symbol of mans ego. Now I am currently struggling to find the reference and I dont have time to explore the writings too much but I thought it was Abdul'Baha who said this.
As for the books of the past being wrong. We shouldnt worry about that. People apply their undertandings over time and often what is taught in the past is taught to their capacity anyway. Like Baptism causing purification of the soul which Abdul'Bahas says is no longer needed. So thats not an issue because it comes under the banner of 'progressive truth'...
You might see everyone subjected to the 'evil whisperer' but that doesnt affect what Baha'u'llah intended when he wrote that which is essentially also a symbol.
Vices are very powerful. In fact it is because of vices that the manifestation of God comes... As we know to put us in the fire and make us heavenly rather than satanic..

"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire."
Matthew 3:11

Jun 2011
there is a One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge.
just in-case anyone catches a demon lol

Challenge Info

"To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests."
It's a pity how they've set this up! I could show them proof of demons but they are looking for the super natural and, alas, demons are completely natural. Talk about rigging a result! ;)

Mar 2010
Rockville, MD, USA
Actually, if you read the sacred scriptures, you will find that demons and demonic possession do exist, at least as ideas.
Not in the Baha'i scriptures!

And as LG pointed out, these scriptures update and do away with many of the "demonic" superstitions prevalent in various older scriptures.

So God being One, Supreme, and without equal or rival; and satan merely referring to our own lower (animal) nature when we choose to give it control istead of our higher (spiritual) nature, from our POV there is no basis whatever for your statements about "demons."

Peace, :)

Bruce

Dec 2010
Australia

You have asked why it was necessary for the soul that was from God to make this journey back to God. Would you like to understand the reality of this question just as I teach it or do you wish to hear it as the world teaches it? -- for if I should answer you according to the latter way, this would be but imitation and would not make the subject clear.

The reality underlying this question is that the evil spirit, Satan or whatever is interpreted as evil, refers to the lower nature in man. This baser nature is symbolized in various ways. In man there are two expressions, one is the expression of nature, the other the expression of the spiritual realm. The world of nature is defective. Look at it clearly, casting aside all superstition and imagination. If you should leave a man uneducated and barbarous in the wilds of Africa, would there be any doubt about his remaining ignorant? God has never created an evil spirit; all such ideas and nomenclature are symbols expressing the mere human or earthly nature of man. It is an essential condition of the soil of earth that thorns, weeds and fruitless trees may grow from it. Relatively speaking, this is evil; it is simply the lower state and baser product of nature.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 76)

Abdul'Baha ftw!!

Similar Baha'i Discussions Baha'i Forum Date
Baha'i Discussions
Baha'i Beliefs