Did Baha'u'llah reveal any new science at the time of his coming?

Sep 2010
Wilmette, IL
One quote that has always impressed me is:

The learned men, that have fixed at several thousand years the life of this earth, have failed, throughout the long period of their observation, to consider either the number or the age of the other planets. Consider, moreover, the manifold divergencies that have resulted from the theories propounded by these men. Know thou that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 162)

Of course, only recently has science proven that this is even possibly true :)

Mar 2010
Rockville, MD, USA
Greetings! :)

Baha'u'llah certainly DID reveal new scientific knowledge, including some that isn't widely realized!

I quote just a subset of a longer list of prophecies made by Him and already fulfilled:

" 20. The explosive acceleration of scientific and technological progress.
21. The development of nuclear weapons.
22. The achievement of transmutation of elements, the age-old alchemist's dream.
23. Dire peril for all humanity as a result of that achievement.
24. The discovery that complex elements evolve in nature from simpler ones.
25. The recognition of planets as a necessary by-product of star formation.
26. Space travel.
27. The realization that some forms of cancer are contagious or communicable.
28. The fruitless search for a 'missing link' between man and ape.
29. The non-existence of a mechanical ether (the supposed light-carrying substance posited by classical physics), and its redefinition as an abstract reality.
30. The breakdown of mechanical models (literal images) as a basis for understanding the physical world."

You can find the full details of these in both Gary Matthews' The Challenge of Baha'u'llah and He Cometh with Clouds, so I refer you to them for further details.

Best! :)

Bruce

Sep 2010
SPAIN
Hello,

specially today in may countries thief love copper, for example in spain they are steal overnight tonnes of coppers(electrical cables;train cables;etc etc)
copper is gold right now 5€ the meter......lol

bwb

Aug 2010
earth
"The beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them": this beast means the Umayyads who attacked them from the pit of error..."
(Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 51)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

So, comparing the two quotations, I think that 'Abdu'l-Baha discovered that human error, or human stupidity, are bottomless, or infinite, before Albert Einstein also made that discovery. Hey, look at all the cool icons that you can use on this forum:
:wacko:lol:rolleyes:blink:wink:cool:mellow:huh:):(:D:unsure:zzz:wub:dry:mad:tongue

Solar system model of the atom?:
"So you will find the smallest atoms in the universal system are similar to the greatest beings of the universe."
(Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 182)

Sep 2010
Canada
One quote that has always impressed me is:

The learned men, that have fixed at several thousand years the life of this earth, have failed, throughout the long period of their observation, to consider either the number or the age of the other planets. Consider, moreover, the manifold divergencies that have resulted from the theories propounded by these men. Know thou that every fixed star hath its own planets, and every planet its own creatures, whose number no man can compute.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 162)

Of course, only recently has science proven that this is even possibly true :)
Excellent post!

Sep 2010
Boalsburg, PA, USA
I know that some people who are not Baha'is have difficulty with the above quote, because of Baha'u'llah's statement that every planet has its creatures. They look at it only from the material sense, and so feel this statement is incorrect since we know that most planets do not have life as we know it on them, such as Mercury and Venus which are too hot to harbor life. But if looked at from the spiritual standpoint, it makes perfect sense. Creatures, the way I see this, relates to those of the spiritual realm (creatures which no man can compute). Thus physical science in its present form cannot quantify these spiritual creatures. The amazing thing here is that Baha'u'llah makes mention of planets around other stars long before science confirmed extrasolar planets! Indeed, this is an excellent quote.

bwb

Aug 2010
earth
we know that most planets do not have life as we know it on them, such as Mercury and Venus which are too hot to harbor life.
We don't "know" that at all. Science has already verified that there are living organisms, mostly micro-organisms, called "extremophiles" which can live in even the most extreme environments.

Feb 2009
St. Louis
I know that some people who are not Baha'is have difficulty with the above quote, because of Baha'u'llah's statement that every planet has its creatures. They look at it only from the material sense, and so feel this statement is incorrect since we know that most planets do not have life as we know it on them, such as Mercury and Venus which are too hot to harbor life. But if looked at from the spiritual standpoint, it makes perfect sense. Creatures, the way I see this, relates to those of the spiritual realm (creatures which no man can compute). Thus physical science in its present form cannot quantify these spiritual creatures. The amazing thing here is that Baha'u'llah makes mention of planets around other stars long before science confirmed extrasolar planets! Indeed, this is an excellent quote.
Or they're bacteria. We have found lots of extremophiles in all kinds of weird places. We've even found bacteria inside nuclear reactors. I think the obvious makes more sense to me.

DLC-ME | The Microbe Zoo