Difference in the historical information of different scripture?

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
I was now reading some lines by Abdul Baha in which He is discussing the matter of equality of men and women (sorry I cannot provide the exact quote because I was reading the Persian Version خطابات جلد 2 ص 134). There, He brings examples of some specially great women in history; He mentions Christ's mother, Mary Magdalena, AND Bithiah "daughter" of Pharaoh. That was so weird and new to me, because in Quran, Bithiah is mentioned to be Pharaoh's wife, and the daughter of Mozahem. This is the woman who later on caught moses from water and kept Him in the palace. Then I searched more and saw that in the Book of Exodus, the same Bithiah who saves Moses, is Pharaoh's daughter rather than his wife, and there is no mention of any man named "Mozahem".

Apart from the fact that Abdul Baha has chosen the Exodus version over Quran's version of the story, I wonder how a historical fact can be mentioned so differently in two scripture? How can, in one book, Bithiah be the daughter of Mozahem and in another one the daughter of Pharaoh?

I would be glad to know your explanations.

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Dear maryamr,

The first question that comes to my mind is, who were 'Abdu'l-Baha's words directed towards, those who may be more influenced by the book of Exodus, or by the Quran?

-LR

Feb 2019
Chicago
I was now reading some lines by Abdul Baha in which He is discussing the matter of equality of men and women (sorry I cannot provide the exact quote because I was reading the Persian Version خطابات جلد 2 ص 134). There, He brings examples of some specially great women in history; He mentions Christ's mother, Mary Magdalena, AND Bithiah "daughter" of Pharaoh. That was so weird and new to me, because in Quran, Bithiah is mentioned to be Pharaoh's wife, and the daughter of Mozahem. This is the woman who later on caught moses from water and kept Him in the palace. Then I searched more and saw that in the Book of Exodus, the same Bithiah who saves Moses, is Pharaoh's daughter rather than his wife, and there is no mention of any man named "Mozahem".

Apart from the fact that Abdul Baha has chosen the Exodus version over Quran's version of the story, I wonder how a historical fact can be mentioned so differently in two scripture? How can, in one book, Bithiah be the daughter of Mozahem and in another one the daughter of Pharaoh?

I would be glad to know your explanations.
Both women and men are made in the image of God in the sense that their souls are individualized reflections of God. As souls there is no difference between men and women. The difference lies in the bodies and minds. Scriptures can get corrupted for various reasons. I would not accept anything that does not make sense. For example Quran teaches that a man can beat his disobedient wife and Jews were cursed to become apes for not practicing sabbath. Where does that come from.

Last edited:
Sep 2017
Earth
Both women and men are made in the image of God in the sense that their souls are individualized reflections of God. As souls there is no difference between men and women. The difference lies in the bodies and minds. Scriptures can get corrupted for various reasons. I would not accept anything that does not make sense. For example Quran teaches that a man can beat his disobedient wife and Jews were cursed to become apes for not practicing sabbath. Where does that come from.
The Quran is the protected word of God, the the beating a women verse, if you go to the Arabic word, there are many things it can translate into, daraba - set an example, or to seperate are a few examples. Humanity's lack of understanding and knowledge cannot be used as an mistake with scripture, albeit in some cases that can be true.

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
As I understood maryamr to say, Abdu,'l-Baha was addressing the "principle" of equality of men and women. He was not addressing accuracy of scripture. He was known for using wisdom, and adapting His words to His audience's background to communicate spiritual principles. Baha'u'llah used a similar method.

-LR

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
thanks Larry, Venu, and Yousefy.
My question is not about why Abdul Baha chose Exudes over Quran; I do not know, maybe He was talking to Jews. Also, I do not know about the "laws" in Quran or Bible which look , at least with our modern standards, unaccepted.
What is interesting for me is only how/why the "historic account" in two scripture differ. I would be glad to know the answer.

Mar 2015
Bend area, Oregon
Maryamr:
For the time being, I am restricted to using a smart phone resulting in my comments being brief. As yousefy2 has said, as well as Shoghi Effendi, the Ouran would be the correct version. -LR

Sep 2018
usa
thats very interesting, good catch :)
i don't know the answer to your question.
Bithiah literally translates to daughter of God, in islam she is called Asiya.
could it have been a miss translation?

Nov 2015
Canada
I actually did a bit of a talk about Pharaoh's daughter in my study group.

The Bible had mentioned a similar conundrum of calling her the daughter while the Qur'an calls her the wife. I don't believe the scriptures conflict each other generally (I can name a few exceptions but usually not)
So...
My solution is, why not both? Pharaohs had a lot of incest. Sorry to lead it down that road but it's true. Marrying their own daughters wasn't super uncommon.
As to Mozahem... Do you have a verse that mentions his name? I can only seem to find it in commentary and do not remember ever coming across it in my studies.

Sep 2010
Normanton Far North Queensland
thanks Larry, Venu, and Yousefy.
My question is not about why Abdul Baha chose Exudes over Quran; I do not know, maybe He was talking to Jews. Also, I do not know about the "laws" in Quran or Bible which look , at least with our modern standards, unaccepted.
What is interesting for me is only how/why the "historic account" in two scripture differ. I would be glad to know the answer.
It could be a Station, like Issac and Ishmael being the sacrafice, one in the Bible and one in the Quran.

Thus Bithiah has been given the station of both Daughter and of Mother.

There is much more than a literal story being told when we consider this;

"...O God, my God! Lowly and tearful, I raise my suppliant hands to Thee and cover my face in the dust of that Threshold of Thine, exalted above the knowledge of the learned, and the praise of all that glorify Thee...."

Regards Tony