Disobeying God's Teaching On Gender Equality.

Jul 2017
Kettering, Ohio USA
This letter from Abdu'l-Baha was written in response to a question about the "house of Justice" in Chicago. It had only men on it, and Abdu'l-Baha later authorised a change to this policy, which is still current today. Perhaps in the future women will also be excluded from local Assemblies, or perhaps they will also be included in the Universal House of Justice. The text seems to show that things are very rigid, while the history shows that they are flexible.

There is more on this history and the various texts involved in this paper:

https://www.h-net.org/~bahai/docs/vol3/wmnuhj.htm

There's new research on both sides of this question, but no synthesis of it since this paper was presented.
I happen to know that on another occasion Abdu'l-Baha specified that He was talking about the Universal House of Justice. The Guardian said He was talking about the Universal House of Justice. Even if this subject came up as regards the House of Justice in Chicago, the law about the Universal House of Justice cannot be changed, any more than any law specified by Baha'u'llah can be changed.

Last edited:
Oct 2014
Stockholm
I think it's enough to state that I take offense at the heading of this discussion, as it presupposes that there should be disobedience of the law on the part of the highest body of our Faith.

gnat