Ever Seen a Bahá'í Doing a Thing Like This?

Oct 2014
Stockholm
I'm still waiting for the stories, like
"In my community there was a lady who used to invite a homeless for dinner every week", or
"My community decided that the square in front of the City Hall was too dirty, so we spent a day to tidy it up", or
"A member of my community had neighbours who were alcoholics, so he invited their children to his home, to have a meal, to wash their clothes and to help them with their homework", or anything else that comes to your mind.

gnat

Dec 2015
N Ireland
I'm still waiting for the stories, like
"In my community there was a lady who used to invite a homeless for dinner every week", or
"My community decided that the square in front of the City Hall was too dirty, so we spent a day to tidy it up", or
"A member of my community had neighbours who were alcoholics, so he invited their children to his home, to have a meal, to wash their clothes and to help them with their homework", or anything else that comes to your mind.

gnat
How do we find time for works of loving kindness when we're so busy doing Baha'i stuff?:confused:

Oct 2014
Stockholm
Come on now! Let us hear about
a Bahá'í lawyer who works for free for half a day a week;
a Bahá'í doctor who advises his patients not to use the expensive medicine that the pharmaceutical companies try to make him prescribe, and instead advises them to adopt healthier eating habits:
a Bahá'í restaurant owner, who treats the homeless to a free meal,
etc etc

There must be numerous cases! I'm eagerly waiting.

gnat

Nov 2015
United States
I give up my Saturdays to run a Junior Youth Group every week for 4+ hours. It's in a low income neighborhood. Some of the youth get into petty crime, and gangs recruit in the neighborhood. I have visited parents to consult about their children's spiritual development, even if it means visiting at 8pm at night to meet a father of the most intimidating youth in the neighborhood. Another animator caught some spraypainting a house, and he made them wash it and learn from their mistake instead of getting away or getting arrested. Another group meets in a refugee apartment complex, where they plan childrens' classes and devotionals for people who lost their communities from before. The results are gatherings where Iraqi Muslims and Nepali Hindus and Catholics from the Congo all gather to enjoy each other as friends and neighbors. My group is one of 10 in the cluster, and we're working to add 4 more in 4 months.

---

EDIT: I wrote the above while on my phone at a party. I do not like blowing my trumpet, so I apologize if this came off as such. At the time, I wished to demonstrate how selflessness and service manifest through the Core Activities while also bearing real fruit, as a defense to a perceived indication that Baha'is are too busy being Baha'is to do good work. This is not what was actually said, though, and I certainly inferred it after projecting that criticism upon this thread. I also apologize if my post came off unnecessarily defensive.

Here is a nice, true story from recent events: I know a Baha'i who was on a bus when two men got into a heated exchange. The exchange ended with both men waiting for the next bus stop, when they would exit and begin a physical altercation. My friend was seated next to one of the men who would be going out to fight the other. When the bus stopped, the first angry man left the bus. As the other started to rise from his seat, my friend said in as calm a voice as he could, "Hey. You don't have to go out there." The man stopped, and the man thought. My friend saw a change come over him. "You're right," said the man. He sat back down next to my friend. They had a productive conversation together as the bus continued to the next stop, and the man reflected on what had happened.

Last edited:
Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
Come on now! Let us hear about
a Bahá'í lawyer who works for free for half a day a week;
a Bahá'í doctor who advises his patients not to use the expensive medicine that the pharmaceutical companies try to make him prescribe, and instead advises them to adopt healthier eating habits:
a Bahá'í restaurant owner, who treats the homeless to a free meal,
etc etc

There must be numerous cases! I'm eagerly waiting.

gnat
Dear Gnat - I do not think there is any one thinking they are doing any where enough to mention the little that is done :yes:

After all, what opportunities that are granted us, that we have the capacity to accept is but pure bounty.

I have mates that just sold their life in great jobs and comfortable houses to move to 3rd world conditions and working amongst and with the locals on local wages.

To give an idea of the level of change a wage they each left was of 85k and 120k per year. In the currency of the place they moved to that would be wages of 510k to 720k per year.

The wage they now receive will be 30k & 50k Local or around 13k in their currency.

With this there are also many challenges that have to be faced in these workforces, issues you would not on your wildest dreams think about!

God bless them and may more arise to follow.

Regards Tony

Sep 2010
Normanton, Far North West Queensland
How do we find time for works of loving kindness when we're so busy doing Baha'i stuff?:confused:
I like to consider Abdul'baha when I think I am busy. There are many Baha'is that are stretched to their limit though. Somehow we have to find a new limit :cool:

Regards Tony

Nov 2015
United States
Come on now! Let us hear about...
a Bahá'í doctor who advises his patients not to use the expensive medicine that the pharmaceutical companies try to make him prescribe, and instead advises them to adopt healthier eating habits
I know a Baha'i studying medicine in Chicago who wants to do just this exactly.

Jul 2014
colorado/summer-Oklahoma/winter
I aways thought we did our services to others for the love we have for God and His creation, and were not to speak of them. The love and beauty is in the doing not the speaking......

Loving regards
Becky