Footnote #13 in the Seven Valleys

Jan 2018
United States
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know the source for the 13th footnote in the Seven Valleys? Much of my favorite quoted material comes from this source and my copy lists this source simply as "Persian mystic poem". Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oct 2013
Glenwood, Queensland, Australia
Does anyone know the source for the 13th footnote in the Seven Valleys? Much of my favorite quoted material comes from this source and my copy lists this source simply as "Persian mystic poem". Any help would be appreciated.
Good morning good and worthy friend

The edition you are using would appear to be an older version, perhaps. Or, the footnotes are numbered differently to my copy. The footnote to which you refer appears to be footnote 15 in my edition:

A lover is he who is chill in hell fire;
A knower is he who is dry in the sea.
This poem is touched upon in this item at Baha'i Library Online - when you are on the page, just search for 'a lover is' and you will go straight to it:

https://bahai-library.com/mclean_parable_majnun_layli

Here, too, it is simply referred to as "the citation of the Persian mystic poem"

A Google with the contents of the entire poem-part quoted brings many "hits", but no answers that I could find.

With my most warm greetings

Romane

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Allaho Abha Couch

if by the 13th footnote you mean this:

"A knower is he who is dry in the sea."

then this is from the first poem (ghazal) of Attar in his book of poems; Ghazaliat.

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Allaho Abha Couch

then this is from the first poem (ghazal) of Attar in his book of poems; Ghazaliat.

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Allaho Abha Couch

Aha!!

That makes a lot of sense that it would be Attar, since a lot of his other poetry is cited throughout the Seven Valleys, and that the Seven Valleys itself is essentially built from the groundwork laid by Attar's Conference of the Birds.

Thanks for the clarification!! And good to hear you've found a viable proxy!!

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
Aha!!

That makes a lot of sense that it would be Attar, since a lot of his other poetry is cited throughout the Seven Valleys, and that the Seven Valleys itself is essentially built from the groundwork laid by Attar's Conference of the Birds.

Thanks for the clarification!! And good to hear you've found a viable proxy!!
Thank you so much Walrus :eek:

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
It's not the footnote that was requested, but in a sort-of similarity to this topic, I found another line "How can feeble reason encompass the Qur’án, Or the spider snare a phoenix in his web?" that is referenced only as "Persian Mystic Poem" is also from Attar, from the Ilāhī-Nāmah.

So by this point in time I'd wager everything referenced as simply a "Persian Mystic Poem" is from Attar.

Aug 2014
Blue Planet
It's not the footnote that was requested, but in a sort-of similarity to this topic, I found another line "How can feeble reason encompass the Qur’án, Or the spider snare a phoenix in his web?" that is referenced only as "Persian Mystic Poem" is also from Attar, from the Ilāhī-Nāmah.

So by this point in time I'd wager everything referenced as simply a "Persian Mystic Poem" is from Attar.
It is admirable how you could find the source of the "spider and phoenix" quote :) You must be interested in Persian mysticism, are you?

Well, there are many quotes in mystic Bahai scripture that come from Attar, but NOT all of them. The mystic quotes come from Attar, Rumi, Hafez, Sana'i, and Hatef Esfahani. There may be other sources as well, but my lack of knowledge has not yet let me know more than that.

Jun 2014
Wisconsin
It is admirable how you could find the source of the "spider and phoenix" quote :)
Honestly, I wasn't even looking for it. I just sort of stumbled across the line when reading Attar and said "Oh hey, I recognize that."

You must be interested in Persian mysticism, are you?
Pretty much, right now I'm seeking out the Ilāhī-Nāmah in English, but unfortunately so far I've only found a partial translation so far.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar Baha'i Discussions Baha'i Forum Replies Date
EternalStudent9 Baha'i Scriptures 2
Similar Baha'i Discussions
Hidden Words, Arabic #13